Real world wing tip missile question

Chimplicker

I've been wonder for a while now why we see the F-16 with the heavier Aim-120s on the wing tips and the lighter Aim-9s further in on the wing.

I would have though with G forces and additional stresses that far out on the wing that the best fit would be the Aim-9s on the tips and 120s further in.

Does anyone know why its setup the way it is?  The only thing I can come up with in my own head is the Aim-9x and HOB setup, its easier for a lower mounted missile to drop and turn left (if mounted on the right side) and vice versa.  If it was on a wing tip it would need to fly forwards ahead of the aircraft before making the turn.

• Like 1

"...it is an improvised aeroelastic feature intended to avoid what's called "flexure-torsion binary flutter" by keeping the CG of the wing forward of the twist axis. AMRAAM is longer and heavier and therefore when loaded it better shifts the CG forward of said axis than, say, a sidewinder."

"..lower Drag Index (DI) with the AIM-120s on the wingtips, believe it or not. Also, if you load 6 air to air missiles, the DI is much lower with the AIM-120s on the outboard stations (1,2,8,9) and the AIM-9s on 3 and 7. Lots of guys with 50 pound brains figuring it out. On a side note, the jet is faster (less drag) with 2 x MK84s vs. 6x MK82s."

https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20308&p=238132&hilit=wingtips#p238132

Edited by Gunrun_KS
source

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

8 hours ago, Chimplicker said:

I would have though with G forces and additional stresses that far out on the wing that the best fit would be the Aim-9s on the tips and 120s further in.

This is a common misconception, but remember that in flight the wings hold the plane up, not the other way around. Loading heavy objects on the wingtip can actually be very structurally sound, as it sits counterbalanced with the fuselage on the other side of the wing.

In the F-16 it's more about harmonics than weight distribution, but in other aircraft like the L-39 and F-104 for example, that's the reason for the wingtip fuel tanks. 

Edited by Bunny Clark
  • Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 8:14 PM, Bunny Clark said:

This is a common misconception, but remember that in flight the wings hold the plane up, not the other way around. Loading heavy objects on the wingtip can actually be very structurally sound, as it sits counterbalanced with the fuselage on the other side of the wing.

In the F-16 it's more about harmonics than weight distribution, but in other aircraft like the L-39 and F-104 for example, that's the reason for the wingtip fuel tanks. 

I often wondered about the logic of wingtip tanks now you mention it!

Having 120's on the tips does introduce some interesting bending moments though! 

F-16WingTwist.jpg

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the aileron being deflected, not with the missile itself. That bird is maneuvering quite hard, from the looks of it. Wings can twist and bend quite a bit during high G maneuvers, this can be disconcerting to watch if you don't know it's supposed to be happening. 🙂 

Yes, it's because the jet is rolling to the right. The wingtips are deflecting in the opposite direction because of the weight of the 120 out in-front of the wingtip 

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

2 hours ago, Chimplicker said:

I often wondered about the logic of wingtip tanks now you mention it!

Same thing with the main fuel tanks of airliners being in the wings - that always seemed counter intuitive for me until I realized it.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"