F-16 Throttle Setting

hawk4me

So since last patch i've had an issue with cold starting the F16. Once engine is firing up and get's to idle rpm the plane starts moving forward slightly. This of course screws up the INS and I have to manually redo the coordinates. I have started just slipping the parking brake up before engine start but pretty sure that isn't standard procedure. I am guessing since you have wheel chocks installed in the real thing and in dcs it doesn't for some reason that this is the cause. However I didn't have this issue until recently. I even put a positive curve on the throttle thinking maybe it's not going to 0 on the throttle axis or something and same thing. Should I just get in the habit of having ground crew put wheel chocks in place before start up?

1. Align after engine start per documented operating procedures
  2. Don't use parking brake during engine start, chocks (real life) and feet holding brakes (enough in DCS)
  3. You can move the airplane during the latter portion of the alignment

You may want to check the right_cntl+enter display to see throttle position. Movement under idle throttle is possible but should be a rarity, especially in DCS.

Wheel chocks do work in DCS, don't know why you think they don't. Request them from ground crew via radio.

I had similar issue when I replaced my rudder pedals from CH Pro to MFG. For some reason DCS assigned them to throttle even though it was not shown in the controls menu. Try to start Viper without rudders connected to PC.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

41 minutes ago, Marklar said:

Wheel chocks do work in DCS, don't know why you think they don't. Request them from ground crew via radio.

I had similar issue when I replaced my rudder pedals from CH Pro to MFG. For some reason DCS assigned them to throttle even though it was not shown in the controls menu. Try to start Viper without rudders connected to PC.

What I meant is that doing a cold start plane the wheel chocks should be in place without having to manually request them first. I am sure this will be ironed out by ED in a few years but realistically once a plane is parked the wheels are always chocked. In our case ground crew was on vacation. I do start the alignment after the engine is started the problem is that you can't do a stored alignment if the plane moves even a tiny bit or it will be off alignment. I will look into remapping the control's I think i had an odd ball issue a few months ago and dumping the controls and binding them again fixed it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hawk4me said:

So since last patch i've had an issue with cold starting the F16. Once engine is firing up and get's to idle rpm the plane starts moving forward slightly. This of course screws up the INS and I have to manually redo the coordinates. I have started just slipping the parking brake up before engine start but pretty sure that isn't standard procedure. I am guessing since you have wheel chocks installed in the real thing and in dcs it doesn't for some reason that this is the cause. However I didn't have this issue until recently. I even put a positive curve on the throttle thinking maybe it's not going to 0 on the throttle axis or something and same thing. Should I just get in the habit of having ground crew put wheel chocks in place before start up?

Don't worry your not going crazy.   I had this issue repeatedly a few patches ago.   Not recently tho. Only in the F-16.

It seemed to me like DCS would recalibrate my throttle 5-10% forward so i'd have to unplug & plug throttle USB back in.

Im using a TM Warthog.

Absolutely no issues with my stick glitching or whatever

13 hours ago, Frederf said:

Don't use parking brake during engine start, chocks (real life) and feet holding brakes (enough in DCS)

Hi all.

I do use parking brake and no problem, as battery is on. On the  "other game", the plane moves at idle, so I thought it was necessary indeed in DCS. apparently I was wrong!

Saludos.

Saca111

• Wags changed the title to F-16 Throttle Setting

I haven't encountered any issues using the parking brake. Far as I am aware though the F16 does not actually have a parking brake so no idea there could very well be wrong. Looking at things now I recently bought a Playseat Air Force chair and got everything mounted to it including a 4port USB HUB that I have put on a plate behind the chair. I can simply slide my chair over plug in my usb cable from pc to the chair hub and away I go. I do have to go into controls each time and recalibrate my rudder pedals but that's due to them being a simple design with no axis config built into them. This could possibly by causing it as well but recalibrating throttle seems to only be an issue in the 16.

50 minutes ago, hawk4me said:

the F16 does not actually have a parking brake

Hi.

In t he Landing Gear panel, where the CAT I and III, Horn Silencer etc. It needs the electric power to be completely on (2 steps fwd) to be able to work.

Also you can adjust the zero zone on the controls config for the throttle to test if that takes the movement away.

Saludos,

Saca111

There is a parking brake. All brakes require battery power and toe brakes require power to the FLCS which can be done on battery power (if relays are closed). It's not for actual parking like getting out and going to bed. Interestingly toe press continuous hold depletes accumulator while parking brake does not. So during the interval between parking brake available and HYD B to pressure I guess the best technique is to rely on the chocks but be ready to engage brakes (parking if FLCS not powered, toe available if FLCS powered) if anything goes wrong. The reason is that brakes pull pressure from the #2 accumulator so holding toe brakes depletes accumulator pressure which would be used for a start2 start.

If you had to start without chocks for whatever reason the safest would be to engage parking brake, don't touch toe brakes, and start via start1. That way the brake accumulator isn't used to start and it won't deplete like holding toes.

• Thanks 1