Speed Brake Depolyment

MaclimRakesh

Since there doesn't seem to be an indication short of looking over your shoulder to eyeball them, how do you get to 40% open on approach as suggested in numerous places? With the TM Warthog HOTAS, I find it happens to take 10 or sometimes 9 quick "blips" on the switch to go from closed to full open, so I've been doing 4 to approximate 40%. Any better ideas out there https://showbox.tools/?  

Edited by MaclimRakesh

I'd say go by feel and quickly check visually that it's about right. Doesn't have to be exactly 40%, and probably hardly ever is anyway, without an indicator. 😉

When going fairly fast, the speedbrakes won't open as much as they do at slow speed, so it might be necessary to adjust them after slowing down a bit. In either case, I'd say eyeballing them is indeed the way to go.

• Like 1

I'm an idiot never mind

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I look by eye. But most of the time my first try is pretty close in terms of timing. If you really want to "git gud" then the drill would be to set up the airplane in the approach situation (so opening time is consistent) then try opening to what you want checking visually after each attempt. After some practice you'll be hitting your desired state blind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One potato, two potato. Then look over your shoulder. There is a bobweight on the speed brake, when the stick is neutral the bobweight will be half way between the top of the speed brake and the wing. That is the no kidding 40% position (or close enough). In reality the 1 potato 2 potato method is pretty much good enough