BIGNEWY

• ED Team

DCS Newsletter discussion 25th February 2022

Hornet pilots - Naval assets - community links

Please do not discuss politics here

thank you

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Just want to wish all of EDs employies (and our community members too) all the best, regardless were they live and work. Stay healthy. Hope this is okay to post.

One question:

Does "imminent release" mean: "get prepared to immediately  take two weaks of vacation"? 😉

Or is there still some time.

Edited by Wychmaster
  • Like 3

1-  color below the waterline a bit darker, the keel of all ships is too visible I think.

2- Asset pack from the 70s,80s from  USN and Soviet Navy .

3- Asset packs from other navies in a medium future.

4- Replenishment underway capability at least for carriers with apropiate AORs.

I'm delighted to hear about the core improvements to naval assets.

Though I do have a couple of things I'd like to mention:

Firstly:

Next, we will be working on the collision model of certain ships to improve the impact zone accuracy of anti-radiation missiles such as the AGM-88C HARM. This work is part of broader enhancements to ship Damage Model.

While I'm very pleased to hear of improvements being made to the damage zones, they're really only half of the problem in the case of the HARM (and many ships already have fire control RADARs attached to a damage zone). The other problem is that the HARM homes on the origin of the unit with the targeted RADAR, instead of the actual antenna - while this is far less of a problem for ground units, it is a much larger problem for ships, especially from the side as they are just that much larger, it means that the HARM often ends up missing the RADAR all together.

The other issue is that RADARs on ships themselves, this is fairly multi-faceted problem that's better suited to the wishlist.

Secondly, regarding the sway and roll effects, as I understand it, the motion is effectively randomised, with a magnitude dependent on wind speed, this isn't too bad for larger vessels, but for smaller vessels the discrepancy between the motion the vessel is making compared to what it should be doing diverge significantly.

For instance, if a wave is travelling along a vessel's longitudinal axis, when it reaches the bow, the vessel would be expected to pitch up, then as the wave moves rearwards, pitch down. In DCS, this doesn't necessarily happen.

Will these improved effects result in ships actually appearing to interact with the water, or will it be closer to the current system.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

In newsletter « In the Development Screenshot above, you can see the pilot's legs and boots, the model is rendered based off of accurately dated US uniforms and we genuinely appreciate your feedback at this early stage of development. »

Difficult to sent feedback because I don’t look my foot when I flying (and it’ is difficult to see that in the hornet cockpit). 
Why ED work on model we can’t see ?

Edited by hanab

55 minutes ago, hanab said:

In newsletter « In the Development Screenshot above, you can see the pilot's legs and boots, the model is rendered based off of accurately dated US uniforms and we genuinely appreciate your feedback at this early stage of development. »

Difficult to sent feedback because I don’t look my foot when I flying (and it’ is difficult to see that in the hornet cockpit). 
Why ED work on model we can’t see ?

Well, you not seeing it doesn't mean the rest of us don't either. I do see the pilot legs in VR very clearly when I look forward. @hanab; do realize that in VR your vertical field of view is much larger than for the average 2D monitor user.

To the devs working on pilot body improvement: Thank you! 👍 

Will this work also help with the development of pilot models in ED's other modules? (F-16C, Hind, Ka-50, A-10C II)

Especially the Viper screams for filling those rudder pedal gaps.

My sympathy and thoughts go out to those in current desperate times. Stay safe, stay strong

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

And we are still missing dynamic weather too. No news about it for a long time.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

• ED Team
25 minutes ago, Flia said:

And we are still missing dynamic weather too. No news about it for a long time.

Planned for the future, as soon as we have news we will let you all know. 

thank you

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2