Thinking of going team red

I’ve got a RTX 3060 at the moment, I’m thinking to upgrade or sidegrade. 

I can get a deal on a rx6800 does anyone have any experience of this card in the game? 

other option is get a second hand 2080ti or 2080 super would I be taking a step backwards from the 3060 if I did this. 

Any advice would be appreciated 

Ok, well I have owned most of those.

A RX 6800 or a 2080ti will be a step above a 3060 either way. If you have a monitor with Freesync go with AMD. Their new framerate target control feature is exceptional when coupled with Freesync.

If you have a fixed rate monitor, probably a 2080ti because Nvidia just seems to sync a little smoother.

I owned a 2080ti and a 6800xt last year and there wasn't that much in it. Apart from the fact the AMD card will manage Freesync so much better. Nvidia, Freesync and "flight sims" dont work well together in my opinion.

There is more to consider than which is the most powerful. Which will synchronise with your monitor better. Unless you use VR of coarse.

• Thanks 1

What resolution are you playing at? I owned the RX 6800 XT and for 7680x1440 the RTX 3080 I now have outperform the AMD card in amounts. The AMD card was barely faster than the GTX 1080Ti I had before. In 2560x1440 this is not the fact, there the AMD card was strong. AMD seems to be good up to a specific resolution, I guess 4k.

Edited by xoxen
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

12 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

Ok, well I have owned most of those.

A RX 6800 or a 2080ti will be a step above a 3060 either way. If you have a monitor with Freesync go with AMD. Their new framerate target control feature is exceptional when coupled with Freesync.

If you have a fixed rate monitor, probably a 2080ti because Nvidia just seems to sync a little smoother.

I owned a 2080ti and a 6800xt last year and there wasn't that much in it. Apart from the fact the AMD card will manage Freesync so much better. Nvidia, Freesync and "flight sims" dont work well together in my opinion.

There is more to consider than which is the most powerful. Which will synchronise with your monitor better. Unless you use VR of coarse.

Sorry should have said I’m playing in 1080. 
specs are Ryzen 5950x 

gaming carbon b550 

64 gb DDR4 @ 3200 

my aim is to stop shimmering and aliasing with either SSAA or by increasing the resolution 

5 hours ago, xoxen said:

What resolution are you playing at? I owned the RX 6800 XT and for 7680x1440 the RTX 3080 I now have outperform the AMD card in amounts. The AMD card was barely faster than the GTX 1080Ti I had before. In 2560x1440 this is not the fact, there the AMD card was strong. AMD seems to be good up to a specific resolution, I guess 4k.

Interesting that it performs the same as a 1080ti at lower resolution 

OK I will only slightly straighten something out here.... Please dont take it the wrong way Xoxen. The AMD drivers really improved since I suspect you had an AMD card.

An Nvidia card like the 2080ti has a larger memory bus than even the fastest AMD card. This makes the Nvidia slightly faster than AMD at resolutions of 4k, it copes with MSAA much better at this resolution. However at single monitor 1440p or below an AMD 6800xt is faster than a 2080ti or 1080ti. I suspect this is due to its higher clock speed and memory capacity.

If you want to reduce shimmering and improve aliasing. Get a 1440p monitor and use 4x MSAA, SSAA will kill your fps, it does this using a 3090, I know I have one.

If the monitor has Freesync buy an AMD 6800, the XT version is better if you can. If its fixed rate or you plan to try 4k, buy the 2080ti or better but if you plan on ever trying resolutions higher than 1440p ultrawide, buy Nvidia.

I had a AMD 6800xt and use a 1440p monitor. I recently got a 3090fe for my 40th. It improved pretty much nothing as I use a 60fps cap so my Track IR looks smoother. An AMD 6800xt can maintain a solid 60fps everywhere in DCS and I like flying low in the weeds. Using these settings....

DCS Settings.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

OK I will only slightly straighten something out here.... Please dont take it the wrong way Xoxen. The AMD drivers really improved since I suspect you had an AMD card.

An Nvidia card like the 2080ti has a larger memory bus than even the fastest AMD card. This makes the Nvidia slightly faster than AMD at resolutions of 4k, it copes with MSAA much better at this resolution. However at single monitor 1440p or below an AMD 6800xt is faster than a 2080ti or 1080ti. I suspect this is due to its higher clock speed and memory capacity.

If you want to reduce shimmering and improve aliasing. Get a 1440p monitor and use 4x MSAA, SSAA will kill your fps, it does this using a 3090, I know I have one.

If the monitor has Freesync buy an AMD 6800, the XT version is better if you can. If its fixed rate or you plan to try 4k, buy the 2080ti or better but if you plan on ever trying resolutions higher than 1440p ultrawide, buy Nvidia.

I had a AMD 6800xt and use a 1440p monitor. I recently got a 3090fe for my 40th. It improved pretty much nothing as I use a 60fps cap so my Track IR looks smoother. An AMD 6800xt can maintain a solid 60fps everywhere in DCS and I like flying low in the weeds. Using these settings....

DCS Settings.PNG

I’ve got a 4k monitor that I run at 1080 unfortunately it’s not a free sync or gsync. 
I use similar settings to yourself but at 1080 I can’t even use 1.5 SSAA. 
so it seems to be able to use SSAA I would need a much better card than a 2080 or a 6800 

3 hours ago, scampaboy said:

Sorry should have said I’m playing in 1080. 
specs are Ryzen 5950x 

gaming carbon b550 

64 gb DDR4 @ 3200 

my aim is to stop shimmering and aliasing with either SSAA or by increasing the resolution 

Interesting that it performs the same as a 1080ti at lower resolution 

You got me wrong, the AMD card was great at low resolution but similar to the 1080Ti at very high resolution.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

2 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

DCS Settings.PNG

I'm with you. It's a known fact that AMD improves a lot with their drivers over time. When I had the RX 6800 XT in June last year I was disappointed enough to switch back to Nvidia and didn't regret. But I play at 3x 2560x1440 and here the RAM bandwidth or whatever makes the Nvidia cards superior.

If scampaboy plays at 1080 the AMD card will be as fast as the 3080 I guess.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, scampaboy said:

I’ve got a RTX 3060 at the moment, I’m thinking to upgrade or sidegrade. 

I can get a deal on a rx6800 does anyone have any experience of this card in the game? 

other option is get a second hand 2080ti or 2080 super would I be taking a step backwards from the 3060 if I did this. 

Any advice would be appreciated 

Your RTX3060 is equivalent to an Nvidia RTX2070 8GB and AMD RX5700XT 8GB. Take this as a base line.

In regards to the RTX2080 Super 8GB versus your RTX3060, going for the former is worth only it if it's a good deal(?), as it's a small upgrade (+20% in favor of RTX2080S).
Note that a brand new RTX3060Ti 8GB is at similar prices (~650 Euros) of used RTX2080S, it performs similar to it (actually +5% faster), and +25% faster than your RTX3060. 

The AMD RX6800 16GB is a competitor to the Nvidia RTX3070Ti 8GB (and vice-versa), both of which are a little faster (~17%) than the RTX2080Ti 11GB that you also mention, which sells at second-hand prices too close to what those now cost brand new (950 Euros+). So, RTX2080Ti is worth only if it's a really good deal (very rare).
Any of these three are much faster (over 40% stronger) than your RTX3060.

In your case, if using 1080P or 1440P resolution, the RX6800 is going to be a very substancial upgrade from your RTX3060 (~60% stronger!), that's for sure.
But.... usually the RX6800 sells for similar price of the superior RX6800XT, so I'd only get the "non-XT" model if it's a good deal.

Lastly, there's advantage with Nvidia over AMD, due to the former having architecture with bigger memory bandwith (even if AMD has more ammount of video memory), and also more advanced/mature drivers (better, IMO), which does seem to work nicer for Nvidia with DCS the higher the resolution you go (4K, or triple-screens, or VR), versus AMD.
This is something to consider before investing, if going higher resolution (4K, triple-screens, or VR) sometime soon is in your plans.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Right ok then. I was right in the place you are in now. If you have a 4k and your stuck to using 1080p on it. Forget AMD completely, not that its a bad card but its not the best solution for your needs. 

I personally ditched the 4k TV and got a proper 1440p monitor, I don't regret that decision either. However you probably don't want to be that drastic! I wanted to keep my options open.

Save up and get a 2080ti, it has the memory bandwidth to cope with 4k resolution. I had a 2080ti linked up to a 4k TV and it handled proper 4k resolution in DCS with 2x MSAA. That is a pretty good solution for a solid 60fps, even down low.

So ….. after deliberation I went for the 2080ti bought for £650 face to face from a car sim guy. I didn’t see the value in going new for a lesser card and performance boost, and I had a new to me card that day rather than having to wait to fly for a couple of days. 

I feel like I have a massive difference in performance all round and it feels like my cpu is being utilised more efficiently. 
I am now running 1440 locked at 60fps for my track ir. I am very pleased with the performance and visuals I feel like I got good bang for buck. 
The only issue I’m having is my own paranoia with hot spot temp. 
full load (inc a little SSAA) I’m running 68c GPU temp and 84c hot spot which is 16c delta. There’s no throttling and performance is fine. Do I have a problem? I’ve got good airflow with 2no. 200 mm fans blowing air in with a 120mm exhaust fan. My cpu cooling is a 380 dual fan aio pushing up through the top of the case.  

I forgot to add thanks for the help and advice. 

Edited by scampaboy

46 minutes ago, scampaboy said:

So ….. after deliberation I went for the 2080ti bought for £650 face to face from a car sim guy. I didn’t see the value in going new for a lesser card and performance boost, and I had a new to me card that day rather than having to wait to fly for a couple of days. 

I feel like I have a massive difference in performance all round and it feels like my cpu is being utilised more efficiently. 
I am now running 1440 locked at 60fps for my track ir. I am very pleased with the performance and visuals I feel like I got good bang for buck. 
The only issue I’m having is my own paranoia with hot spot temp. 
full load (inc a little SSAA) I’m running 68c GPU temp and 84c hot spot which is 16c delta. There’s no throttling and performance is fine. Do I have a problem? I’ve got good airflow with 2no. 200 mm fans blowing air in with a 120mm exhaust fan. My cpu cooling is a 380 dual fan aio pushing up through the top of the case.  

Nice one, congrats! 🙂

20ºC delta is normal on a stock RTX2080Ti, and hotspot running as high as 90ºC is perfectly normal when pushing it. 
Unfortunately, that's a natural result of the power-hungry characteristics of these modern GPUs (higher end ones) - they run hot.
Nothing to worry about, make peace with it. 😉

What wouldn't be normal is if you're reaching 84ºC hotspot with the RTX2080Ti even if always below 75% usage. 
You've already limited DCS to 60FPS, see what's the % usage of the GPU.

Lastly, I'd consider undervolting the RTX2080Ti - even if optional and up to the user, it's always good procedure.
Search for specific tutorials on that for your GPU on the internet (and youtube).

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

2 hours ago, LucShep said:

What wouldn't be normal is if you're reaching 84ºC hotspot with the RTX2080Ti even if always below 75% usage. 
You've already limited DCS to 60FPS, see what's the % usage of the GPU.

I’ve attached a photo, ignore the Obs I was playing with the recording settings. It’s a replay flight. An undervolt may be in order I’ll read/watch up on it 

EA0F20B4-B5B7-4789-9722-599709985F9A.png

Edited by scampaboy
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, scampaboy said:

I’ve attached a photo, ignore the Obs I was playing with the recording settings. It’s a replay flight. An undervolt may be in order I’ll read/watch up on it 

Cheech... 11.078MB (98.3% of total VRAM) memory allocated on the GPU...!! 🤯 "welcome to the Syria map" 

Core load max - 84% (this is the actual GPU max usage %)
GPU temp max - 62.4ºC
GPU hot spot temp max - 77.3ºC

Perfectly fine, temps look healthy to me. 👌
Second congrats from my part to you, as your used RTX2080Ti doesn't need to change neither thermal paste on the chip, nor thermal pads on the VRMs and mems. 🙂

Yes, do atempt undervolting later.
You'll be able to keep same performance (if not improve it) while reducing voltages, which will decrease temps and increase expected lifetime of the GPU (win-win scenario).

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Thanks for looking at that, set my mind at ease a little. I was going around in the performance adjustment vicious cycle and it set my mind at ease. I went and spent some time flying and not fiddling. 
Going ok so far, I’ve looked at undercoating/clocking I’ll get some hours flying under my belt with it before I attempt it so at least I can see if there’s any performance difference. 

• Like 1

So after a couple of hours flying around I turned my resolution up to 4k. Turns out I can fly the Huey over Adana with 2x MSAA and get startling performance with nice visuals and similar temps. If the card holds up this upgrade has been worth every penny. 
Next experiment will be using nvidia NIS 4k and super carrier/hornet shenanigans. 

HI mate for a 2080ti, try an undervolt using MSI afterburner, plenty of Youtube videos for a guide. Go for 1950Mhz @ 0.950mv and tweak around from that. Should save a good 10 deg C on the temps and around 30-50 watts from the wall if I remember correctly when I had one.

• Thanks 1