Button Assignment conflict

Hammer1-1
Go to solution Solved by Sacarino111,

On my Mongoos T-50 throttle in both A-10C and CII. I have to use button 3 as a modifier for my hat switch for both the target designator slew and coolie hat functions. Its set up to push button 3 AND hat switch down, up, left, right to swap SOI. However, its also moving the target designator at the same time and its conflicting. It does the same thing in the button assignment menu. Pressing and holding button 3 and hat switch will show me pressing those keys, AND the target designator slew..but it will use the target designator slew as override. In the menu column, when I press my key combo, if I have the coolie hat commands on the screen they will light up as pushed...then scroll down a bit and then the target designator slew is lighting up as being pushed.   Heres a track file that hopefully shows my issue. I can record a video if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d55c88o9ws63pxt/cursor slew.trk?dl=0

Also...Ive no idea why this track file is 34mb large. The track is only 30 seconds long. It was recorded in VR in the maverick training mission and I didnt go too far.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Ive tried that. Tried rebuilding the entire profile from scratch and it doesnt put priority on the modifier. It shows Im clicking the button, yes...but pressing the other buttons shows it still conflicting. Holding down the button trying to make screens SOI just slews the box on the HUD.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I tested out putting the slew on a hat switch and the coolie switch with a modifier on a winwing orion, but it worked exactly as expected, so it's not clear it's a DCS issue.  Is there a Virpil software app running in the background?  Or there may be something different about the way the mongoose encodes button presses?  I assume you've added the button as a shift modifier?  Have you tried running it as a toggle modifier?

Nope, I did a reformat the other day and its about as clean of an install as it gets. Does the same thing on both A-10 modules, and nothing of virpil on the hard drive since its already set up to work. Hadnt changed anything since I got it 3 years ago.

Ill make a video of my issue here in a few and post it.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

2 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Nope, I did a reformat the other day and its about as clean of an install as it gets. Does the same thing on both A-10 modules, and nothing of virpil on the hard drive since its already set up to work. Hadnt changed anything since I got it 3 years ago.

Ill make a video of my issue here in a few and post it.

Is there a possibility your button 3 has become intermittent?  That's the only other thing I can think of.

nope, it works just fine in and of itself as a button, not as a modifier.

give it a minute, got a video uploading on youtube showing my problem. The whole time Im holding down button 3. Just a small update, not sure if its in game anymore since I didnt see it, but I did double check to see if TDC slew realistic was ticked or not and I cant find it anymore.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I found something interesting today. What is happening is that its registering as a continued button press that releases when I press the button again. I found this out while trying to set up multiple hat switches in the Apache yesterday; to use the hat switch assigned, I had to press my modifier button AND THEN press the buttons Ive assigned for that combination for it to work. Pressing and holding the modifier button down doesnt do anything. If I wanted to go back to the other commands, I had to press that same modifier button again to terminate it. Is that how its supposed to work???

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

• Solution
8 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Ok I found something interesting today. What is happening is that its registering as a continued button press that releases when I press the button again. I found this out while trying to set up multiple hat switches in the Apache yesterday; to use the hat switch assigned, I had to press my modifier button AND THEN press the buttons Ive assigned for that combination for it to work. Pressing and holding the modifier button down doesnt do anything. If I wanted to go back to the other commands, I had to press that same modifier button again to terminate it. Is that how its supposed to work???

Hi. 

Be aware that htere are two possible ways of doing a modifier. One is , as long as the button is pressed it counts as a modifier press and the other is a "latched" logic, meaning that you press it once and the modifier "stays pressed" and once you press it again it "stops being pressed". Can't tell the exact name as I can't acces DCS now. The first one is in the left column when you open the modifier setup and the second one is in the right column.

As I understand your problem, you need to set this modifier as the first one in order to work as you wish, not the one in the right column.

Saludos

Saca111

EDIT: Could get to DCS; Left one is called "Modifier" and Right one is "Interrupt" (not sure as my PC is in spanish).

Edited by Sacarino111

Shouldnt they do the same thing? The only thing I can tell that differentiates the two is that the left side is keyboard commands while the right is specifically for joysticks.

My wallpaper and skins

Is it possible for me to make a button a modifier then? I dont like the idea of holding down a key on the keyboard just to make a secondary button press as that kind of defeats the purpose.

Edit- guess you can! 

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

8 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Is it possible for me to make a button a modifier then? I dont like the idea of holding down a key on the keyboard just to make a secondary button press as that kind of defeats the purpose.

Edit- guess you can! 

Hi.

Not only it is possible, but hightly recomendable, as it gives you a fast way to modify a function and once you release it no more modifying, while the switch you have to remember to de-activate it, and in my experience this is a pain in the back side.

I suggest you use a push button if you need a fast and momentary modificaction, and a "lever" for a more durable modification. To switch from TEDAC to Cyclic and Collective, go for the lever option using a modifier. 

My setup is: normally, when CP/G, I default to TEDAC, with no modifier, and I use the Joystick and Throttle (and its buttons/axis) directly to control it. If need be to Fly the thing, then I move the lever ( a 1rotary selector) a the modifying position and config the  Joy and Throttle plus the modifier to HOCAS controls. When back to TEDAC, selector back to non modifier and voilá!

If you have no selector available or free, then yes, the "switch "option is the one to go for, but don't forget to "de-activate" it after use.

Saludos

Saca111

Edited by Sacarino111