VKB with 200 mm extension position question

Cerulean

I live on a farm in the Canadian north woods, which means lots of hard work splitting firewood, moving hay and grain, fixing fences...that kind of stuff.  Over the years, I've kind of torqued out my right arm.  It's fine so long as I keep it at a comfortable angle.  So, for simming, I keep the stick to my right similar to the way sticks are positioned on the F-16.

I'd like to add a 200 mm extension to increase precision with my MCG.  But before I go through the expense of ordering an extension and Stronghold mount, I have a question: Does an extended stick need to go between the legs or can it work out well if I position it to my right?

If anyone knows, or has done this, I would definitely appreciate your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t see it working well as a side stick though I’ve only fooled around with it that way for a grand total of maybe 60 seconds to give you some feedback here.  With the 200mm extension, the total deflection from left to right at palm level is about 12 inches. So think about what your wrist and shoulder would be doing to make that transition.  It feels weird to have my hand so far away from my body at full right extension, but perhaps there’s nothing that is fundamentally broken and maybe you’d get used to it.  Ergonomics for extended use may be problematic.

I use a centered VKB Gunfighter Pro with 200mm extension - between my legs. I would imagine using it mounted on my right side I would lose considerable precision with my movements.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 4 weeks later...

I have a VKB Ultimate Pro on a 200mm extension and like earlier post I can't imagine using it as a side stick but I did give it a try for at least 2 minutes. It's  very comfortable and precise mounted in the center.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

On 2/26/2022 at 6:45 AM, Cerulean said:

I live on a farm in the Canadian north woods, which means lots of hard work splitting firewood, moving hay and grain, fixing fences...that kind of stuff.  Over the years, I've kind of torqued out my right arm.  It's fine so long as I keep it at a comfortable angle.  So, for simming, I keep the stick to my right similar to the way sticks are positioned on the F-16.

I'd like to add a 200 mm extension to increase precision with my MCG.  But before I go through the expense of ordering an extension and Stronghold mount, I have a question: Does an extended stick need to go between the legs or can it work out well if I position it to my right?

If anyone knows, or has done this, I would definitely appreciate your feedback.

I have never tried using center stick, but have been using a GF base, 200mm extension, and WH grip, on the side for a while now. I'm all about the ergonomics, and the comfort. The setup is mounted off a Monstertech chair, and mounts, hand,wrist and elbow all in line, and level with the  WH grip palm rest. Works perfectly for my needs.