BFT02 - Training Mission - T/O & EFATO

5EVC Tiger

Is it possible to get rid of this instructor-wingman ? He keeps crashing right in front of me by the runway threshold on landing and when he does, the shrapnel coming out of his flying donkey hit my plane and then I get accused of damaging the aircraft.

Recommendation: pretend the instructor is in the tower with an handheld radio to give me s***. That way you won't have to cope with AI wingman non-compliance with basic realism of ED outstanding quality of programming 🙂

OS: Windows 10 64-bit | CPU: Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders 11GB | RAM: G-Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3600MHz | SSD: 480gb Corsair HyperX | MoBo: EVGA Z270 Stinger | Oculus Rift | HOTAS Warthog

Yes the AI behavior changes with each update.  It was good for awhile (wingman peels off while you land) so we will see if ED can correct it.

If not, then we will consider having him hold at a waypoint instead of following you in.  We like having him fly close so he can see what you are doing during the flight.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• 9 months later...

Please confirm: According to the mission objective BFT02 I got from the campaign description, one has to shutdown the engine and perform a single engine landing. I saw a video dealing with mission BFT02, where the pilot restarted the engine. If no restart is required, starting the APU and switch on the APU generator after shutdown should be the appropriate action? Because it is not an engine fire, there is no need to switch the bleed air of, I guess.

This mission is to test a simulated Engine Failure After Takeoff (EFATO) so restarting the engine is a cheat as you should be trying to land with only one engine.

On shutdown you should go through the normal shutdown procedure with everything turned off as per the description (however one engine will already be off).

The Amplified Checklist has detailed steps for a single engine landing.

Please post more questions if you have them.

Hi Sabre,

Same event as described by 5EVC Tiger on 27th February happened to me, while performing BTF02. 

The instructor overtook me right wing, same foots short before touch down and gave me no chance to fly a single engine Go-Around or to brake before crashing into his aircraft. Intentionally I landed on the left side of the runway to let him land on the right side of the centre line. but he crossed from right to left. Means, the AI behaviour is still not changed since 27th of February? Or is this a matter of how fast you are returning back to BATUMI?  Anyway: No instructor in real life would kill his student like this AI did. 

One remark concerning the BTF02 Mission description: I personally would prefer the EFATO emergency procedure to be repeated as expected in your pdf file of BFT02, delivered with the campaign,  instead of the instructor reminding the student in flight how he has to act after an engine shut down in flight. Very special, because the engine failure / fire (e.t.c.) Emergency checklists may confuse a new pilot on this complex aircraft. Even when the student had prepared himself before the mission with the amplified checklist. 

My hint:  Pre-flight Briefing for familiarization and qualification training should includes a revision of all emergency procedures in details as the instructor expected the student to exercise them in the briefing room before taking his seat in the cockpit. That is in this case: Please include the details in the pdf-file. That is a good alternative to a verbal briefing in the briefing room and I am sure, it improves the learning success.

My full respect for all developers of this campaign!!!!

Gharhoud

• Like 1

I'll have to check the log as I'm certain we had put an update in to fix it in this mission.

However it's being reported more and more in other missions so we will fix it for all missions as soon as we can.

We will see what we can do about including the emergency procedure details in this mission (though more emergency procedure qualification tests are included in BFT08).

Edited by Sabre-TLA

First: I bought the campaign November 2022 and implemented it in DCS.openbeta. So I believe it is the newest update. (So fare i have no VR).

I made some tests with BFT02 training. All flights with the result: I can continue with the check ride, except, when the AI prevented a successful landing . I assume, that I made no serious mistakes.

a) On all approaches and landings there was no PAPI or VASIS for RWY 12 visible.

So I switched on the ILS for RWY 12. No VASIS or PAPI visible during approach. Perhaps the RWY 30 is active for landing?

b) AI: when I turned back to BATUMI immediately and flow with 200 kts while performing the EFATO procedure, slowing down short before final, I was not disturbed by the AI.

c) Flying with 200 kts straight ahead while performing the emergency procedure before initiating the turn back to Batumi and fly with a speed of 180 kts and reducing early to 150 kts, the AI passed me short on final RWY 12.
It seams it depends on the time one need for the approach whether the AI passes you or not. 

Edited by Gharhoud
  • Like 1