Wheel brakes almost innefective

At my F18, wheels toe brakes are mapped to my CH Pro pedals as all my other aircraft, but although they seem to be working, they are almost innefective, both together and at diferential mode. Is strange as at all my other DCS aircraft brakes work OK.

Is there something at the aircraft systems that prevented that ? 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

I have always thought that they appear to be pretty weak but apparently they are normal. I always go to full air brake as soon as the tires hit and at about 110kn I pull the stick all the way back. I understand that full up elevator creates a lot of drag. I don't run off any runways so I guess they are acceptable.

• 5 weeks later...

To isolate the problem I'd suggest mapping the brakes to a button and see how they work.

I haven't tried taxiing with toe brakes (and can't now because my VKB pedals don't have em) but "weak brakes" is a common complaint related to pilot error.  Come in low and fast and it's easy to run off the runway.  

I would suggest first learning how to do a Navy landing (who needs brakes, right?) and then try to figure out how to grease her in if you want.  Which is harder than it sounds, for various reasons. 

One way to experience a proper Hornet landing is to use ATC.  So, about 8 miles out, slow down to <250kts, full flaps and drop the gear.  Wrestle her into submission.  Trim her out so the AoA indicator is bracketed (make sure your autopilot is off!)  Then press ATC.  Give it a minute to adjust.  Then, just point your velocity vector at your planned touchdown spot, which should be about three degrees below the horizon (use your HUD ladder to estimate).  Take note of your approach speed.  It should be closer to 140kts than 180kts, which I would bet money is your problem.  

That should give you the visual and auditory indicators of what it's like to do an "on-speed AoA" landing.  

Next, let's try it without using ATC.

Eight miles out, drop gear and flaps and trim her out so the AoA indicator is bracketed.  Now, leave the stick alone.  The flight computer will regulate your speed for you.  You're gonna get yourself on the glide path using your throttle.   If you're low, goose the throttle a little.  If you're high, ease it off a little. 

You see, when you're flying at a high AoA, your controls are sort of reversed.  You regulate speed with the stick -- nose down to go faster, nose up to slow down (in the Hornet, the flight computer handles that for you, to help you maintain a constant speed).  You regulate altitude with your throttle.  

You can actually land any plane like that.  They can install an AoA indicator in your Cessna if you want.  Only problem is, it doesn't exactly make for a smooth landing.  Which is fine. Hornet likes it rough.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you've figured it out at this point, but if not, try inverting the input in the tune input menu. When I first set everything up I couldn't understand why I couldn't even stop the jet while taxiing.  Turns out I just needed to invert the inputs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 8:00 AM, CBStu said:

I have always thought that they appear to be pretty weak but apparently they are normal. I always go to full air brake as soon as the tires hit and at about 110kn I pull the stick all the way back. I understand that full up elevator creates a lot of drag. I don't run off any runways so I guess they are acceptable.

They are certainly underpowered. The jet should be able to hold with brakes in MIL, but can't in DCS.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2022 at 1:05 AM, jorgesoo said:

At my F18, wheels toe brakes are mapped to my CH Pro pedals as all my other aircraft, but although they seem to be working, they are almost innefective, both together and at diferential mode. Is strange as at all my other DCS aircraft brakes work OK.

Is there something at the aircraft systems that prevented that ? 

Thanks 

Bring on the controls indicator, and check if your full physical brake pedal push brings the on screen control indicator brake sign all the way to the top. If it does, you can question brake efficiency simulation vs. reality. If it doesn't, you can check your brake pedal axis assignments and any fine tuning you implemented (curve, being inverted by default, or whatever else).

Edited by Razor18

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...