For the love of all that is holy. Multi object Select and click Drag functionality

Shrike88

Seriously guys.  With the utmost respect.  Its 2022,  is it really that difficult to add such a simple feature to select multiple objects in the mission editor with a simple click drag ability.  This has been super new technology since 1995.  The Left shift + Click gets pretty old after having to repeat after an incorrect click in the wrong position on an object in the ME reverts to a deselect all. 

The lack of quality user content with missions is not surprising after coming back to after a year of mission making hiatus and see that some of the most basic and most requested features are still not implemented.  Some development capital really needs to be invested in the mission editor and the GUI/interface and the tools we have available. 

-Click dag, multi select ability for objects regardless of vehicle, aircraft or object type.   
- Selection filters for Click and drag selection criteria.
-Ability to create and save static object templates.

-Ability to merge two .miz files together seamlessly with auto rename function for similar named objects.
-Ability to edit and filter warehouse and loadout easier 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 12:03 AM, Antix70 said:

And while you're adding that, UNDO and REDO, please. Accidentally deleting an object and having to recreate it from scratch is a PITA.

Yep indeed, and that's the other wish that also is as old as the existence of the ME itself 😅

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hmm, food for thought. 

I wonder about creating templates, pick a group of vehicles that work as a formation, make the template. Then, when creating new missions or scenarios, or an entire battlefield, just grab this SAM site template and drop into the map, edit slightly as needed. Then go grab another template, say an armored spearhead, with many MBT's and IFV's and a few forward anti-aircraft units like Avengers Gepards or Tunguskas. And then a third template for a supply convoy, with many cargo carriers with food and munitions, and a whole bunch of diesel tankers. A fancy complex FARP or SAM site too.

Maybe that's already being done well and I don't know of it, but it's little functionality  like this that can really enhance mission editors and what you can do with them.

Reminds me of the first time I played Command and Conquer... selecting a bunch of tanks and guys, send them around a ridgeline to wait in ambush at the edge!

Edited by Rick50

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer a more general functionality that can be used in more than one way.

An essential feature would be a draw function api on the mission editor map. If we could access the editor by script, the community could improve the mission editor with functionality like multiselect & drag units, arrange units along a path, or even add right-click dropdown menu functionality to units. For example: "add waypoint to nearest town", "add waypoint to nearest enemy", "clone unit" etc.

missionEditor.drawShape('rect', 100,100,300,300, 0,1,0xFFFFFF)

missionEditor.drawText('Liberation Menu', 100, 100, 12, 'Courier', 0x000000)

missionEditor.onLeftClick(callback)

missionEditor.onRightClick(callback)

missionEditor.onKeyPress('X', callback)

Essentially this would open the mission editor to be extended by the community.

• Like 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

• 4 weeks later...

This has been one of the most requested ME features for over 5 years. I have never seen any evidence that anyone in the DCS team does ANYTHING in the ME because it's requested by the community. The ME development priorities appear to be solely internally driven. I never heard of anyone requesting the ability to draw lines, but we got that instead of loads of really basic functions like drag-to-select, a proper unit list that can be pinned, moveable toolbars, etc.

I would hazard a guess there is a long term plan to have a new ME with data cartridge functionality as a new integrated system, and no one at ED is going to spend development time on updating the ancient ME code we currently have. This is probably a very sensible decision since the ME should be something that can be re-coded in it's entirety without affecting the rest of the sim. It would be great if someone from ED could give us some idea of where the ME is heading because from my POV a lot of people give up making/editing missions because the ME is simply so incredibly outdated.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2022 at 12:17 PM, Scaley said:

This has been one of the most requested ME features for over 5 years. I have never seen any evidence that anyone in the DCS team does ANYTHING in the ME because it's requested by the community. The ME development priorities appear to be solely internally driven. I never heard of anyone requesting the ability to draw lines, but we got that instead of loads of really basic functions like drag-to-select, a proper unit list that can be pinned, moveable toolbars, etc.

I would hazard a guess there is a long term plan to have a new ME with data cartridge functionality as a new integrated system, and no one at ED is going to spend development time on updating the ancient ME code we currently have. This is probably a very sensible decision since the ME should be something that can be re-coded in it's entirety without affecting the rest of the sim. It would be great if someone from ED could give us some idea of where the ME is heading because from my POV a lot of people give up making/editing missions because the ME is simply so incredibly outdated.  

100% agree. Very well said. 

chicken or the egg. I think for this reason exactly you see a very low amount of quality content (less great paid campaigns and other select missions) when it comes to missions and community made items. 
The lack of development and neglect to the mission editor over the last better part of a decade is really disappointing as much of the small quality of life additions would make a large impact. 

Oh well, the lack of ME development will continue to foster a lack of participation in the community and lack of quality content. 

• Like 3

My metric for mission editors being the arma 3 Eden editor, not only am I sad to see how inferior the DCS ME is to the one arma has but it is also straight up driving me nuts that such basic features such as drag select and unde/redo aren't yet implemented, yet alone other quality of life improvements.

I hope their silence in this thread isn't hinting at the fact they don't care about the DCS ME, because it very much looks that way to me, being stuck with a mission editor that looks and functions like it hasn't been updated since 1995.

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Hairdo1-1 said:

Yeah I’m pretty sure they’ve lost interest in the editor. I’ve tried to reach out many times to nineline and bignewy but nothing about the editor. It’s cray cray 

Agreed.  The snail like changes in development, and the antiquated and archaic setup we currently have reminiscent of windows 98.  I think very much for this reason we see such an alarming lack of content for DCS when it comes to quality missions and campaigns, when against the backdrop of how long these modules have been out.  some for several years but only maybe 1 or 2 campaigns, and a handful of approved creators.  First hand I can account the insane amount of work it takes just to make one mission set, and upkeep to keep then running and functioning every successive update.  

The ME and a Dynamic campaign system are really the elephant in the room imo that need to be addressed to curb the module burnout and interest plateau.   That's part of the reason why we see the "ED Gib us this _____ as the next aircraft module", as there is such a lack of content / campaigns / MP campaigns of quality that really keep people engaged, so they want to jump to the next shiny new thing as a way to bridge the gap. 

Shrike. 

• Like 2

For some years I have used the ME to set up the aircraft and a few ground units just to fly and shoot. In fact, that burns out quickly. 

Several weeks ago, I have started to create multiplayer missions, or... at least, I have tried to create multiplayer missions. 

The simple fact that we cannot select multiple units and delete those, or move, etc... with the inability of undo or redo... started to give me so much frustration that I am about to quick the effort.

There were in fact some minor improvements, but these above, are one of the most important features.

Sure it may be really complex to do a Mission Editor, but... as the OP said, it is in fact one of the more important features to create content to community/servers.

But, there is any expectation of having improvements on this?

• Like 2

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

DCS uses ‘dxgui’ to render its UI and the mission editor. Does anyone know if this is proprietary or if there is somewhere out there with reference materials?

I spent 4 hours today looking at implementing drag to multi select and undo/redo. 

The way this is working, the multi select and multi operations done on them seems to be very hard to implement based on how they’ve set this up. Undo *might* be possible in a limited sense i.e. delete / undelete operations, but changes to text boxes and unit selections might be significantly harder. 

Edited by Elphaba

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. It probably as to do with the way the whole UI is structured.

I guess that if the task to implement that was easy, and the fact that it is a hugely important feature, should already be done.

It is really frustrating to build a mission, particularly when it starts to get more complex.

• Like 2

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits