What "Heavy Hauler" would you want to see come to DCS for those who enjoy logistics?

Tank50us

Which Heavy Lift Helicopter do you want to see be a full-fidelity module?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which family of Heavy Lift Helicopters do you want to see become a full-fidelity module in DCS?

• CH46 Sea Knight
    • CH47 Chinook
    • CH53 Stallion
    • Mi26 "Halo"
    • Mi6 "Hook"
    • SH3 Sea King
    • SA321 Super Frelon
    • AW101 Merlin
    • Other

So, given the rumors floating around that we might see a Full-Fidelity Transport in the future, I had to ask... which of the many heavy-lifting, multi-mission capable (sort of in some cases) helicopters would you like to see get added as flyable modules in DCS? My personal view is the CH-47 Chinook would make a great choice. It's fast, has a very good load capacity, and is a quite capable mission platform that's seen service for over 50yrs now.

What do you guys think?

I can't choose, as any of these would make me very happy (personally I'd prefer one of the Western types)

Whichever module though, it should come with the ability to transport/sling load (light) vehicles and artillery. Without that option, a heavy transport helo would be kinda pointless imho.

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

This is a really difficult choice as a lot of them I’d like to see. Though for logistics, I went with CH-47 as it’s probably more ubiquitous and probably best fits DCS as it is, though the helicopter I’m most interested in from the list is a UK AW101, though I imagine documentation is going to be difficult to come by.

The main problem with aircraft which are geared towards logistics though is the lack of core functionality (which really deserves its own thread)

I wouldn’t have though the SH-3 and AW101 would classify as heavy-lift helicopters, they’re in more or less the same boat as the Hip - a medium-lift helicopter.

And while I would love the SH-3H (most appropriate helicopter for the Forrestal) and AW101, the issue again is core functionality:

The SH-3H is first and foremost an ASW helicopter, with its other roles being SAR and utility. We kinda have utility, but ASW and SAR are as good as absent as far as the core is concerned, and heck even a decent chunk of utility too (sling loading for instance doesn’t really have a practical purpose in core DCS World, and we only really have troop transport modelled at the moment).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Voted Super Ferlon for a cold war era heavy helicopter, plus it could land on water :thumbup:

Missing from the list is the SA330 Puma, though it is more of a medium heli - a very popular helicopter that saw a lot of action in various conflicts, plus it is commonly used in 1980’s Hollywood as a Mi-8 stand-in…

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

You spelled "C-130H Hercules" wrong...like...multiple times...

Shoo shoo! Away with you, silly fixed wing man! ☝️🥸

This thread is for pilots that don't need runways! 😌

• Like 5

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

5 hours ago, Bozon said:

Voted Super Ferlon for a cold war era heavy helicopter, plus it could land on water :thumbup:

Missing from the list is the SA330 Puma, though it is more of a medium heli - a very popular helicopter that saw a lot of action in various conflicts, plus it is commonly used in 1980’s Hollywood as a Mi-8 stand-in…

I will never be not confused about how a 2000s movie decided to turn the tables and have a Mi-8 stand in for a Puma, pretty much.

CH47 Chinook or AW101 Merlin

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

Would love 47, 53, Sea King (Westland version though. 😉)  or Merlin.

I Also wouldn't mind a Wessex. But I'm a bit odd like that.

Ch-47 I think would be the best choice. Ubiquitous, used for a long time, and in a lot of militaries around the world.

Ch-53 would be cool. Would go well with the Tarawa and AV-8B module. Also gives opportunity of things like helicopter AAR, which might be novel. Pave Low would give some great missions I bet. And lets be honest, they just look right.

Westland Sea King. South Atlantic. 'nuff said. But since you ask... long service history, in service with quite a few nations around the Anglosphere and Europe. Been very busy with the British, from the Falklands to Iraq (twice), and Afghanistan. Plus all the other smaller stuff in between. Naval pedigree great for Maps such as Marianas, Scenarios operating out of Eastern Med in Syria Map, and of course the South Atlantic map. Also as RAF and RN, Belgian, Norwegian etc. SAR machines. 

Merlin's are cool and pretty and would be lovely, but might be a bit new to get the information on.

• Like 2

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

So, with the HH-47,  I would prefer a more modern version rather than classic. I would love multi-crew with door gunner positions available, sides and rear ramp. Along with that, I would be even happier if ED absorbed the Arma brand and worked on integration. 😂😂😂 Would take us another step closer to a more realized digital combat simulator. Lol

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

• 4 months later...

I would like to see this one:

I call it 'The Bullfrog" 🙂

And the reasons?

- The data is declassified

- We could do with another coaxial rotor helicopter to supplement the Ka-50

- The Mi-8 needs a contender with a coaxial rotor.

- Maybe add a few door gunners and pylons too... (but not a requirement)

- When the Dynamic Campaign is a reality in DCS, transport/logistic choppers will be required.

-It's a beautiful piece of engineering.

and...

-...who needs reasons when you're a kamov-rider.

Great bird

Edited by dertien
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...