XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT LOUD... Normal?

Hey all,

I just finished my new PC build for DCS and spun it up in a Free Flight and then tried the Isle out.  I have a few question for other 6900 XT owners.  When the card fans kick in ... they are loud. I mean loud like adding another immersive level to my jet sim.  The GPU is heating to about 75-80 deg which seems normal to my research online https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt/33.html

My son is running the same CPU and MOBO combo but on a much older 1070.  on same settings in the isle he is as quiet as a ninja.

For the 6900 XT owners out there... is this normal?  I am historically an NVIDIA user so i'm not sure if there is something else i should be doing on this big card build (spec in sig.)

My case is a 5000D, 3 fans venting out front. top mount AIO/3 fan pulling in.  1 x rear fan venting out and the PSU mounted upside down to vent.  Seems like i have good airflow.

Whats this i hear about undervolting cards?  would that help?  is the default fan curve on these too high?

thanks for any insight.

S!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

doom, I will go OT but as you I can read you already have an AIO for the CPU.

For my understanding an observation from watercool infancy till today, the focus of what to cool has changed towards the "G"PU.

Back in the days of early watercooling, P4 chips hit 2.4-3.2GHz and were usually fully saturated while gaming, really giving watercooling some sense.

Today, when I play ANY game with my 5900X or 8700K, any good AirCooler would do the job, silently too. The wattage needed to run a game has drastically dropped

with the drop in lithography getting smaller and smaller and cores more IPC.

Quite the opposite happens in the GPU world. Demand for more LOD and resolution seems to have no ending, instead of using the benfits in architecture and lithography for less

energy consumption everything is put towards more performance while even pumping up the wattage needs. There is no "silent-DCS" with any modern air cooled GPU, they all need to

cool their components.

Here is the 2nd thing. Fry a CPU....almost peanuts, 200-600€ covers most scenarios, whereas in the GPU world, anything below 1.000€ or $ is not gonna get you far and for sure not up to the top, for that you rather need 3-5k€. 

Knowing how fast heavily used 3d cards died on me and friends in the past, cooling a GPU with a waterblock not only makes it much less noisy but also increases the lifespan of your board, directly thinking VRM area and such....

You can and should lower the voltage on your card, tons of videos out there, but ultimately it will remain loud as it MUST cool the parts as much as possible. Cooling them any lesser

does directly affect lifespan.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

On 3/2/2022 at 4:26 PM, dooom said:

Whats this i hear about undervolting cards?  would that help?  is the default fan curve on these too high?

A custom fan profile is very personal, can be made better than the default one.
I use headphones, I don't mind a little "wooosh" rumourosity if temps are kept lower (which is always better than silence and hot temps, IMHO).

Every single chip on each of same graphics-card model is slightly different.
Some chips really only need 85% of the actual default voltage used from factory, others 88%, others 90%, or 93% (so on).... the so called "silicon lottery"!
Due to time and cost constraints, the factory can't test each and every chip for exact precise voltages for a given "max boost clock", so to ensure that every single one is 100% OK at full-power (the max boost clock), they all use more voltage than likely would ever be required (though still safe).

Undervolting is correcting that on an individual basis. By maintaining same, or near same - if not even better - performance (using slightly lower or same clocks as default) but with less voltage than what is set by the factory. Like a precision "tunning" made by the person who owns the GPU (you, in this case).
It makes the GPU run cooler, consume less electricity, and also last longer, with no downsides on whatever fronts.

For example..............

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

you know it made me realize that the old 1070 just wasn't aircooled like the new GPU are.  I hadn't thought of that so increased noise over my sons gaming makes sense.  As for undervolting, it looks simple enough but I'd be lying if i said it wasnt intimidating.  Maybe I'll order my Reverb G2 and see if how i manage with temps and noise before i start walking things back from stock.

unless thats a stupid strategy.. i get what you say about things being overvolted for simplicity at factory side.  I feel like i just need to watch temps.  from what i can tell temps in the 80 c range arent crazy.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

I'll toss in a couple theories, could be a bad factory thermal paste job, or it could be insufficient airflow. You're drawing in air from the top (which will be warmer after exchanging the heat to cool the CPU) and pushing it out the front and back. How much of the air coming in do you think is making it down to the GPU, and is it cool enough? Like BitMaster mentioned, keeping the GPU cool is the priority. I have mine set up in the reverse, 2 intake fans in the front (also one at the bottom) and AIO mounted to the top as exhaust with rear fan also as exhaust. Cool air in from low front and bottom moving across/through GPU and out the top and back.

It's a bit concerning that the fans are as loud as you say they are and the temps are still hitting upwards of 80C. Have you checked in monitoring software what % the fans are running at and how many watts the board is drawing?

The 6900XT has a 300W TDP, for comparison my 3080Ti has a 350W TDP and when overclocked hits upwards of 430watts, fans are by no means quiet but they are not running at 100% My GPU temp stabilizes at 78C in those conditions.

ETA: Try running it with the side panel off, if the GPU temp is a few degrees lower that's normal, if there is a huge difference or if the fans don't need to work nearly as hard to maintain GPU temps than you know you have an airflow problem.

Edited by Hector45

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

I would say you have your fan setup backwards.  IMO you should have your front/bottom case fans as intake and your AIO fans exhausting out the top.  I also prefer to have one more intake than exhaust.

12700k with a Power Color Red Devil 6900 XT here. Not sure what the reference fan curve is like, but I would adjust it to come on sooner if it has a fan stop and try lowering the voltage.  Use a profile for DCS, try subtracting 50mv or so to start.  Worst case you'll get artificats or system will hang.

MSI Z690 Edge | 12700k | 64GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 4080 Super | Varjo Aero

@CptBlighDo you mind if I ask ... what are your temps while playing DCS ?

I can flip the fans easy enough. I do wonder though... when calculating positive/negative case pressure. do i include the PSU and GPU fans/exhausting or only consider the case fans?

23 minutes ago, dooom said:

@CptBlighDo you mind if I ask ... what are your temps while playing DCS ?

I can flip the fans easy enough. I do wonder though... when calculating positive/negative case pressure. do i include the PSU and GPU fans/exhausting or only consider the case fans?

If the PSU is installed upside down like you said it should be drawing air from the bottom and exiting out the back so it would have no affect. The GPU depends on the cooler type. If its a blower style then it would be an exhaust fan, if its an open air type the exhaust out the back will be negligible. 

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

Hi Doom, I owned a MSI 6800xt Gaming Trio and that was quiet when playing DCS. That was if I ran a 60fps cap or ran it flat out. So something doesn't sound right.

As for undervolting start out with 1100Mv with a 2200Mhz minimum and a 2300Mhz maximum for DCS set in the Radeon software. I would trial and error out from that.

You can also try opening up GPUZ in the background and keep an eye on the temps, like someone else said. It could be a sign of a bad thermal paste application, however XFX are suppose to be one of the best for aftermarket AMD cards.

Finally, does it have a performance bios? Is it using "RAGE" mode in Radeon?

you know  - i wasnt running any fps cap and i was running stock voltage.

I have now set a custom fan curve, undervolted and used radeon chill to cap out at 60 frames on my 60 hz monitor. 

Now its super quiet and butter smooth.  Never going above 75 deg C.  I think it was the card pushing up to 144 fps that was making everything hot and loud.  those kind of frames just arent needed i figure.  Thanks for all the tips on undervolting ... that seemed to fix things.

S!

On 3/6/2022 at 2:42 AM, dooom said:

you know  - i wasnt running any fps cap and i was running stock voltage.

I have now set a custom fan curve, undervolted and used radeon chill to cap out at 60 frames on my 60 hz monitor. 

Now its super quiet and butter smooth.  Never going above 75 deg C.  I think it was the card pushing up to 144 fps that was making everything hot and loud.  those kind of frames just arent needed i figure.  Thanks for all the tips on undervolting ... that seemed to fix things.

S!

Honestly, I think it would be better for E.D. to limit the game at 60fps by default.
It would make people save time around troubles with overheating GPUs and inconsistent performance in DCS, being usually (partially) fixed just by doing that. 

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

HI Doom you could get stutter using Radeon Chill, especially if your using a Track IR.

Look under Radeons global graphics advanced options for "framerate target control" gives a better result than using Radeon chill.

Failing that if you have a 60hz monitor, just use Vsync, both in DCS and under the DCS Radeon options

Thanks Bossco.

I did notice that the radeon overlay is still reporting spikes above 60 fps even with Chill and V-Sync on.  weird.

I plan to buy a Reverb G2 soon so hopefully this groundwork getting things to stabilize will help with VR.  Although I'll presume there will be a whole new round of tweaking required then.

S!

When I had my 6800xt I had spikes with Radeon chill that led to stutters with my Track IR. 

I used the framerate control option set at 60fps and bang it was butter smooth. On my 6800xt I set min clocks to 2300mhz and max to 2500mhz, it ran really well. Bear in mind the 6900xt runs about 100-200Mhz slower than a 6800xt but it has more cores. 

On 3/8/2022 at 6:44 PM, dooom said:

hopefully this groundwork getting things to stabilize will help with VR.

I suggest you go into the VR section of the forum.  You will find that it gets a little more complicated with many additional settings, not to mention many mods to increase FPS and quality.  My 6900XT is OC'ed to 2.825 Ghz, my fans run at 100% as soon as I hit 62 deg keeping the GPU under 75 deg all the time, and it is noisy also.  Any setting in Radeon software has no effect in VR for now.  FYI.

If you go VR, its a lot of tweeking but the reward is tremendous immersion...  and you will never go back to pancake!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.