Pimax 5k Super HUD and MFD text hard to see.

hawk4me

I have tried everything now to get a HUD in the f16 that I can actually read. Even setting to 1.4PD in DCS 1.0 in SteamVR and 1 in PiTool I still can barely read the hud in f16. Even the MFD's you cannot see the text at all unless you use VR Zoom. Brought my fps down to 45fps solid trying to get a better read on the hud and screens. The rest of the world looks amazing crystal clear textures but inside the cockpit yea not so much. Anyone else using a Pimax and able to get clear readable hud and screens?

Please post a screenshot of your DCS settings screen and possibly PiMAX screens.

To be clear: Do you use supersampling, meaning higher rendering than the native PiMAX resolution. Secondly, do you use vrperfkit from fholger, which also uses a sharpener and at least helped me a great deal in terms of clarity and readability.

I use OpenVR mod and have it set to use FSR since I have a 6800xt card. Sadly I have learned that AMD card's do not support foleated rendering so it's likely why NVIDIA cards are doing so much better in dcs vr right now. My steam VR is set at 100% In game PD is 1.0 and PiTool is set to 1. This should mean the headset is rendering at native res. Changing PiTool render scale really doesn't seem to make any visual difference. OpenVR has a sharpener and it is set at 1.0 so can't go higher than that. I have a base station coming in on Saturday and hoping that maybe being able to look forward slightly will help with the visuals of the HUD and MFD's. If I zoom in on the HUD and such I can see it perfectly clear.

I tried the offset IPD in the Pitool and messed around with it for over 4 hours and didn't get anywhere on cleaning up the look of the HUD and text. If I turn the PD up to 1.4 in game it gets a little better but still not where it should be. It's readable but you hit sunlight or something and can't see a damned thing. Can't read the text on MFD's either but can read the font's for the game menu's and everything perfectly. Have you tried both OpenVR and VRPERFKIT is there any difference between the 2? It looks like they both have pretty much the same options.

DCs Settings.jpg

3 hours ago, hawk4me said:

OpenVR has a sharpener and it is set at 1.0 so can't go higher than that.

I would not use 1.0 as sharpener, rather below 0.9. Holger Frydrych wrote small a piece into the README.md and I read about the sharpener in more detail in a blog.

3 hours ago, hawk4me said:

Have you tried both OpenVR and VRPERFKIT is there any difference between the 2? It looks like they both have pretty much the same options.

6700XT here, massive difference! Since with vrperfkit you can use AMD CAS, which gave me both visual acuity and another ~ 25% performance. Meaning it looks better and runs better. And BTW, Holger Frydrych doesn't maintain OpenVR Kit any longer, all new development goes into vrperfkit.

Another thing: You really can play with MSAA 2x? AFAIK the 6800XT is better than the 6700XT, but not by lightyears. If I turn on MSAA, I'm lucky to get off the runway in one piece ;D

Me again: Turn of "bloom effect", which helped me tremendously reading anything that "glows".

If I fly in single player yes I can run with MSAA 2X. Multiplayer server's nah it has to come off. I have my Pimax at 90hz and run 45 capped for smooth gameplay. I have the red devil 6800xt it can overclock quite a bit even over the stock 6800 so it's pretty good. I will try running VRPERFKIT and see what happens.

Did you turn Fixed Foveated rending on in your config? Since it's using VRS i would assume it certainly would not work on AMD stuff.

Edited by hawk4me

12 hours ago, hawk4me said:

Did you turn Fixed Foveated rending on in your config? Since it's using VRS i would assume it certainly would not work on AMD stuff.

No I don't. However, that has more to do with my head shape. Unfortunately the modded gasket for my Reverb G2, which should increase my FOV, didn't improve anything in terms of angles or diameter. However it increased my sweetspot tremendously. To put this in numbers: My circle is 0.35! Other people really notice the difference in blurryness at the edges, I don't, it's a static circle for my brain / eyes and if anything gets out of this circle, I wont be able to read it anyway just by slewing my eyes left and right. Does this make sense? If not, let me know and I'll explain another way.

Aside from that, do you overclock your card? And if so, can you post a screenshot of MSI Afterburner settings? Also, have you modded the back of the card with thermal pads in order to better cool the VRM stages? I was very successful with my OC because AMD, for whatever non logic reason, decided to NOT contact the aluminum backplate with the board, at all. In reality, there's a rather big gap between the two, which heats up the air quite a bit. Doing the mod, which doesn't require you to brake any warranty seals, takes five minutes, a screwdriver, the thermal pads for 10$ and gives you max OC in return, at least with my silicon sample.

Edited by Pocket Kings