Do more monitors reduce fps?

If I have a monitor as my main display and add another to export mfcd panels, what is the fps impact? Both run off the same gpu.

to use the second monitor the game res has to be increased so I thought it might. But the rendering on the extra monitor is not 3D 

Edited by skypickle

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

I came to ask about this today.   I can confirm a HUGE fps hit if I render individual viewports for my three monitors.   When I combine all 3 of them into one 5760x1080 viewport i get about 50-80 FPS with a RTX 3090, but when I separate them into 3 different 1920x1080 viewports, i get 25-30 depending on scenery complexity.  Thing is, the image is so much cleaner when they are rendered individually so I just take take the FPS hit.  It's just bizarre though, because I'm rendering the same number of pixels either way.  In fact, i get way better fps when i render 33% MORE pixels on a single 4K screen.  If anyone knows how to get three individual viewports to run without this kind of FPS hit I would be indebted to you for your help.

For the record, in all the above configurations I am also running a 4th 1600x900 screen with MFDs exported.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2022 at 1:25 AM, skypickle said:

If I have a monitor as my main display and add another to export mfcd panels, what is the fps impact? Both run off the same gpu.

to use the second monitor the game res has to be increased so I thought it might. But the rendering on the extra monitor is not 3D

Have you tried running the second monitor off your onboard graphics, being that its not 3D (or some old grpahics card you have lying around?)?

Possibly in response to @HawkEXO

Edited by Mr_Burns

10 hours ago, Mr_Burns said:

Have you tried running the second monitor off your onboard graphics, being that its not 3D (or some old grpahics card you have lying around?)?

Possibly in response to @HawkEXO

I tried and did so for a longer period of time. It works but at one day there seemed to be a driver issue with the intel onboard graphics. Then I installed a GT 1030 to my GTX 1080 and things were solved......I thought. I wondered about the relatively low FPS as I expected more. In a given mission it was 38 FPS. Then I replaced the GT 1030 with a GTX 1050Ti with no difference. The second card was for the monitor with the exports. The main handled 3 27" displays. But for my 3 displays behind the Cougar MFDs from Thrustmaster I needed an additional card for the connections as Nvidia can do four. To cut the long story short, the second card was a break in my system. Finally I'm running a Matrox triplehead2go and use all my 4 connections at my card. At the GTX 1080 this was a boost from 38 to 58 FPS without doing anything else. Today I'm doing the same but with a RTX 3080. It runs like charm.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz