MiG21 radar does not produce lock warnings on other human aircraft

StarLiner

This is an issue on the PVP side of things, but I didn't see a mention of it in the bug tracker so I thought I'd give it a post!

The Fishbed's radar doesn't produce a lock warning on the RWR if any human piloted aircraft in DCS. It does produce a nail when searching, and It even provides a launch warning when firing in R3R. But never a lock warning.

The sequence when piloting an F5 or other aircraft in a PVP environment is:

MiG flips radar on -> 21 nails appear.

MiG locks you -> nails disappear

MiG fires an R3R -> Still no nails, launch warning sounds.

This may be related to the Fishbed's radar acting like a laser, though this is something I've just heard through the grapevine of discord.

Edited by StarLiner
  • Like 2

That's actually a bug with the F-5 RWR, not the MiG-21 radar. With the F-5 RWR when the "S" button is pressed on the RWR control panel one hears search warnings but no lock warnings. When the "S" button is not pressed you hear lock warnings but no search warnings.

1 hour ago, Frederf said:

That's actually a bug with the F-5 RWR, not the MiG-21 radar. With the F-5 RWR when the "S" button is pressed on the RWR control panel one hears search warnings but no lock warnings. When the "S" button is not pressed you hear lock warnings but no search warnings.

This is unfortunately not accurate. It impacts every aircraft on the game. See this posters detailed tests:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/269673-odd-radar-performance-with-27/?do=findComment&comment=4656942

To quote this excellent post,

"adversary jet will get a MiG-21 nails indication on his RWR at no more than 12 to 13 miles at the most and the MiG-21 radar nails is always only in search mode. No lock indication on the adversary fighter when the MiG-21 locks the radar on the target adversary.

The MiG-21 never becomes a priority threat on the RWR, even at very close range, under 2 miles.

In most cases the MiG-21 was able to pick up the adversary jet on his own radar scope before the adversary RWR was showing a MiG-21 nails indication on his RWR.

When the MiG-21 closes in and achieves a radar lock, the adversary jet did not get a lock warning. Only launch warning of FOX-1 after the MiG has fired the R-3R.

I switched to F-5E and we tested again. The adversary jet picked up the F-5E nails on the RWR at the expected range of aprox 40 - 50 miles, and also reacted with lock indication when the F-5E locked them up.

The MiG-21 now has sneaky stealthy radar...  and the adversaries do not get any lock indication when the MiG-21 locks up a target in STT."

Edited by StarLiner
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Frederf said:

Ah sorry, but the F-5 thing is also real so it makes a bad testing platform.

A lot of us are rocking the RWR community mod to bypass this feature so I tend to forget about it, sorry. Another cold war platform that has this same issue is the A-10A. You'll often get MiG21 nails, but never a lock warning from a human player.

• 2 months later...

Quick update, two months ago Mag3 posted the following on my bug report:

"We know about this issue for some time now. It appears to be ED related."

Unsure if that means ED is the one who has to fix this, or if they have to communicate with eachother to get it fixed. Would love a follow-up on this, as it really takes some of the fun out of cold war engagements.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...