Sideways, flight

ADHS
Go to solution Solved by Yurgon,

Hello.

With the old Comanche Gold i used to fly sideways without mixing Tail with Rotor.

This means that Roll is off and you can't turn with the nose anymore, but only with the pedals.

Is there a similar function/system that turns on/off the turning type in Ka-50 ?

Thank you

EDIT: I can fly this way by sticks/pedals, i am looking (if there is) for a switch or similar.

Edited by ADHS

Democracy was already invented, while Scrat was eating oak fruits.

Flying sideways.

Tilt rotor to your left or right with cyclic.

As the helicopter nose tries to turn left or right, correct with your rudder and keep it straight in front of you.

Now you're flying sideways.

I guess your wanting to know if there is some cheat, if you don't have rudder pedals or such, to keep the nose straight.  Not any that I know of.

Edited by 3WA
  • Thanks 1

I was the Tech Advisor on Comanche Gold...

The flight model was dumbed down quite a lot as we were also doing it for the US DoD and they were a bit twitchy about it. It was also a long time ago.

But from what I remember it defaulted to automatically mixing tail rotor input - you could uncouple if you had a rudder setup but how to do it wasn't obvious. 

But to stay on topic, 3WA above is correct - there isn't a way to do that in the Ka-50 apart from dropping to arcade mode.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg

• Solution
17 hours ago, ADHS said:

This means that Roll is off and you can't turn with the nose anymore, but only with the pedals.

Not sure I understand the question, so I'll try to rephrase it and provide 2 possible solutions.

----------

a) Is it possible to fly forward and change direction without using the cyclic?

Yes, this is possible. In the Ka-50 in particular, make sure that the Autopilot Heading Hold channel is Off. While flying forward, get the helicopter trimmed so that it doesn't require any input for straight and level flight. Autopilot Bank Hold and Autopilot Pitch Hold should both be on.

And then just input left or right rudder and watch the chopper turn. Aerodynamically, this does not make a whole lot of sense, and it's slow, but it works. 🙂

----------

b) Is it possible to fly sideways without inputting any ruder pedal?

Yes, to a degree this is also possible, particularly in the Ka-50. This time around make sure that the Autopilot Heading Hold channel is On, this is absolutely crucial here!

Again, the Bank and Pitch Hold channels should also be on.

Get the chopper into a well trimmed hover so that it does not require any input to remain stationary.

And next, input some smooth cyclic either left or right.

When testing this, I found the chopper will keep the last trimmed heading up to 50ish kph left sideways flight and up to 25ish kph right sideways flight. Any faster and the Heading Hold channel seems to run out of authority and the nose starts vaning into the relative wind. When reducing the sideways motion and the AP regains sufficient authority, it will get the nose back to the previously trimmed heading.

• Thanks 1

Hello, and thank you all for your answers.

3WA: No cheat, i was asking if there is a system that isolates the mixing of the Rotor with the Cycling.

Blackjack_UK: For years, i was an active member of the online community. Good times..
There was an option in menus to fly or not with "mixed Cyclic with Rotor".

AlphaOneSix: Yes my friend, i can fly that way with all pedals stick throttle combinations.

Yurgon: Thank you. You gave me the answer/solution: Autopilot Heading Hold.

The reason that i was looking for this, is that you can avoid incoming (Head-2-Head) missiles.
If you fly sideways, by keeping a steady speed while looking at the missile, seconds before the impact, you can boost so to get
higher (diagonally). If succeed, you will be still alive. Off course is not always the same, but the "recipe" is correct. As the planes.

Again, thank you all guys.

PS: Any brake for the rotors should be off, so to get the most of power to make a sudden move.

Edited by ADHS

Democracy was already invented, while Scrat was eating oak fruits.