Autopilot but not autopilot...

PaulC

Hi all,

So, I'm a bit of a navigation geek and whilst I can do visual Nav and check flight plans and times etc whilst flying the aircraft, working the radio gear or more complex navigation calculations takes a bit more concentration. 

Would there be a possibility, or is there a function to hold the aircraft steady whilst you're in the Nav seat working the radios and checking drift, times etc? 

I'd love to fly as someone's Nav but have never tried shared cockpit, and my time for flying  is usually at odd times of day! 

40 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Would there be a possibility, or is there a function to hold the aircraft steady whilst you're in the Nav seat working the radios and checking drift, times etc? 

Have you tried "Active Pause" [LShift]+[LWin]+[Pause]

6 hours ago, Robi-wan said:

Unfortunately this also screws up your position relative to other moving objects as they all continue moving,

However it is all we have until ED get around to fixing this, but don't hold your breath waiting.:sad_2:

22 hours ago, Robi-wan said:

15 hours ago, Terry Dactil said:

Unfortunately this also screws up your position relative to other moving objects as they all continue moving,

However it is all we have until ED get around to fixing this, but don't hold your breath waiting.:sad_2:

Since we don’t have a timer watch in the game, if I pause the game I also have to pause the watch.

I find this a lot less immersive or fun than the possible of an AI that can keep straight & level while I play navigator. This is not fake autopilot - this is an AI crewman for the solo players.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

On 3/4/2022 at 2:29 PM, PaulC said:

Hi all,

So, I'm a bit of a navigation geek and whilst I can do visual Nav and check flight plans and times etc whilst flying the aircraft, working the radio gear or more complex navigation calculations takes a bit more concentration. 

I'd love to fly as someone's Nav but have never tried shared cockpit, and my time for flying  is usually at odd times of day! 

There is something similar to the Huey, which does not have an autopilot, but you can engage an Autopilot AI and it works as if the other pilot had taken the controls. It works great if you wanna mess with the radios or instruments. They could implement something similar in the Mosquito, where the pilot could maintain it flying straight and level while you fiddle with the radios and navigation, etc.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

If ED fear of exploiting the AI pilot for “press A to straighten up the plane” or as an auto-trim, then this could be solved by:

1. AI pilot engages only under limitations, reasonably close to “straight and level” state, and the player in the starboard seat (may do so automatically when you switch seats - make it a “special” option)

2. AI pilot is limited in its control inputs, thus the plane must be reasonably trimmed before AI takes control - the AI pilot will not trim the plane, but rather fly it to the best of its ability with the current trim state.

3. when you jump back into the pilot seat, AI pilot instantly return control to you.

• Like 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

Try Aerobatic Online Caucasus  server. It has people on it any hour of a day and there is good chance that you will find some Mossie pilot willing to let you jump into cockpit as navigator if you want to fiddle with Transmitter and receiver. I did that myself a few times. Just ask in chat and someone may respond. For example I am happy to be a pilot and let a navigation geek  do calculations and way points for me during long flights so I don`t have to check F10 view, etc in the cabin. At the moment no autopilot assistance exist for Mosquito.

Edited by Rainbowgirl

11 hours ago, Rainbowgirl said:

Try Aerobatic Online Caucasus  server. It has people on it any hour of a day and there is good chance that you will find some Mossie pilot willing to let you jump into cockpit as navigator if you want to fiddle with Transmitter and receiver. I did that myself a few times. Just ask in chat and someone may respond. For example I am happy to be a pilot and let a navigation geek  do calculations and way points for me during long flights so I don`t have to check F10 view, etc in the cabin. At the moment no autopilot assistance exist for Mosquito.

That would be great, if I can get to grips with the kit, then once familiarity is there I can scan backwards and forwards and fly, tune and think! 

I did all my RW instrument flying in  non-autopilot aircraft, and so can get charts, brief, Nav, read notes, tune radios, fold maps and fly for real, yet it so much harder in DCS! 

The trimmers have been significantly improved in a recent patch and now I can trim the Mossie well enough to have a few seconds “hands off” for inspecting F10 and looking around for recognizable land marks.

I did a few compass-map-watch low altitude navigation in MP and it was great fun. Arriving at 240-260 mph, after 20+ minutes of tree tops navigation, pull up blindly by time measurement from the last land-mark and have the target right-there where you expect it is so satisfying. The work load however was crazy because at such low altitude I still had to get hand on and correct the plane every few seconds.

Trim is good enough when you have a least a good few hundred feet under you - it is easier to spot landmarks from higher up and you don’t CFIT. If you try to do this any lower or near valley walls you need more time to spot the landmarks and minor trim inaccuracies and the natural swing of the plane may kill you. An AI pilot just needs to be good enough so I can let him hold the plane straight for 30 seconds, after I verified that the path ahead is clear from obstacles, while I measure things on F10 and take my head out to zoom-view landmarks to recognize them.

• Like 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

• 1 month later...