F-18 FLIR

Simpit

1 minute ago, VDV said:

sorry about stupid question, but i havent been flying on Hornet for a months....is autolasing for laser guided weapons now implemented? and how it works? thanks.

Set the release mode to AUTO on the STORES page (for LGBs). Ensure the laser is armed, and when the weapon is released, a LASER countdown will appear. Once the countdown reaches 0, the laser will fire and the countdown will be replaced with the time to impact. The LTD/R switch will automatically return to SAFE after impact.

For Laser Mavericks it's slightly different. Just arm the laser, assign the TDC to the MAV page, then press and hold the weapon release button. The laser will begin firing and the missile will release once it has a lock. The laser will continue to fire until impact, then return the LTD/R switch to SAFE.

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

On 3/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, Recluse said:

I saw this image on the RAZBAM discord. For AV8B NA Harrier, of course... The "improvement" looks to me like a WORSE image closer to reality rather than an "improvement" to FLIR quality in DCS. Not sure what to think about it....

Basically every TGP implementation except the LANTIRN on the F-14 is overperforming as compared to RL. So I think every bit of degradation, every bit of bloom, athmospheric impediment etc. is a good thing.

Edited by Shimmergloom667
  • Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

On 3/6/2022 at 10:55 PM, pete_auau said:

Just imagine  what the  rw  pilots  put  up with

In real life, we at least have a co-pilot to manipulate the FLIR via a separate track handle, instead of in a single-seat fighter in which you're using HOTAS while also trying to fly and talk on the radios. The exact model of FLIR on my IRL aircraft (V-22) also does a lot of automatic thermal calibration, so brightness/contrast aren't a huge concern.

What gets me is how insanely useless the current DCS F/A-18 FLIR is flying at night during low light conditions. IRL while flying at 240 knots and 300 feet, the FLIR is sometimes the only thing keeping me from plowing into a ridgeline. With no moon over the California or Yuma desert, even the new white phosphor NVGs become useless. Hopefully the DCS-wide FLIR rework corrects this, among other things.

Edited by Chuck_Henry
  • Like 5