Terrain Creep?

Tinkickef

Had a flight in my spit this afternoon.  Instead of my customary crossing the channel, I thought I would have a sightseeing mission round the coast.

Came to the Thames Estuary and flew up it, first time I have been out this way.  On the way to London I noticed two colourful "squares" of terrain, north of the Thames in the middle of the "black" terrain. 

Curious I flew over to them and found two fully detailed, yet still a work in progress patches of land, maybe two miles on a side and five miles apart.  Roads had been put in around them, crossing the black terrain.  The Eastward one hade a chain home station on it, thought Stanmore; yet it looked too far east to be there.  Maps do not seem to show a radar station in that area.

As far as I could tell having no landmarks, I would guess the patches are  located somewhere around the Brentwood / Basildon / Wicklow areas.

Following the edge of the "black map" I noticed other terrain creeping.  Lines of trees crossing the black area denoting water courses or rail tracks and roads going nowhere.

Last time I visited London, I am sure the detailed terrain ended in a more or less straight line.

Are these detailed areas vestiges of an abandoned plan to originally make a bigger map and have always been there, or has someone been quietly beavering away, adding detailed terrain in the background?

Edited by Tinkickef
  • Like 1

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.