air to ground radar generated SPI

colubridae

10 hours ago, colubridae said:

I've been practising a2g with the viper. when I press TMS fwd to lock a ground target the bombs always fall on the steerpoint that was the last SPI before locking via the A2G. Is this a problem or am i  (as usual) missing a step?

please 🙂

Did you press the TGT button after designating?

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

The sighting point option is displayed on the FCR and TGP formats at if memory serves at OSB 10. Depending on the situation the sighting point label can be STP TGT OA1 OA2 IP RP or blank.

Due to a bug sometimes the LOS of the sensors get unsychronized and cycling through sighting points "kicks" the sensors back into sync. Often the list of points is only TGT, a list of length 1, but changing from TGT to TGT can have this effect. Usually TMS right is the HOTAS shortcut to cycle sighting points.

One can see that with FCR GM and TGP both up that slewing radar the TGP doesn't follow (it should) and TMS right presses will drag the TGP to the radar SPI momentarily. This is a workaround.

I've quickly tried some things.

1 I was using radar without having a tpod loaded. So the TGT button did not appear.

when tpod in the loadout then on the radar mfd the TGT button appeared

2 after moving the radar cursor to my target I then pressed TMS FWD. but the SPI was still at the steerpoint

(note: where the TGT button appears when the tpod is loaded

the button now shos STP.)

bomb dropped on steerpoint

3 when i did 2 above and after pressing TSM FWD i pressed TMS RIGHT the bomb dropped on my cursor position, which is what i wanted.

it seems the TMS RIGHT is what creates the radar generated SPI.

I will test it further. only just got home so time for bed.

🙂

1. The sighting point label, what you call "TGT" button, should have a label of STP or TGT depending on if in navigation or attack mode respectively. The label can be other things but let's keep it simple. On the FCR and TGP format at OSB10 the sighting label should always be the same between the two. I see that without TGP the labels are STP in NAV and STP in AG while with TGP they are STP/STP in NAV and TGT/TGT in AG. The highlight in red is a bug but it doesn't matter what label is displayed. The same thing is happening regardless.
  2. I don't get this behavior. You can see where SPI is moving by looking at HSD cross symbol. In general there is no need to press TMS forward with the radar. Are you using laser-guided bomb perhaps?
  3. TMS right is the same thing as pressing OSB10 (if HUD/FCR SOI). This shouldn't be needed (bug) but when radar is SPI-source and TGP isn't following SPI this will "remind" TGP to look at SPI like it should.

Edited by Frederf
  • Thanks 1