AH-64D + Syria map expansion

Caldero

Hi ED

For those like me that are short of storage space in the SSD, I wonder how many Gb the upcoming combo "Apache + Syria map expansion" will take

Any clue, please? A rough estimation is OK

Thanks & best regards

Edited by Caldero

2 hours ago, Caldero said:

A rough estimation is OK

At a guess, add another 15-20 GB to your existing install size.

Detail

IIRC when Syria expanded to the west to include Cyprus, it increased by approx 10GB.
Flight model, cockpit, missions, etc. add 1-3 GB but depends on texture resolution and size of any included campaigns/missions, the Mi-24P added ~3 GB
Most modules add 1-3 GB of liveries to the base game (F-14 is an exception as it added 11.5 GB to the core game).

Adding these together gives a size increase = 10 + 3 + 3 = ~16 GB

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 4

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

6 hours ago, Ramsay said:

At a guess, add another 15-20 GB to your existing install size.

Detail

Adding these together gives a size increase = 10 + 3 + 3 = ~16 GB

I'd say its much more than that. Some of those maps are 30+ gb if not more. Im not home right now to check it but 16gb I'm pretty sure is way low .

My advice is buy a bigger ssd. 🙂 If you squeeze it on a small SSD and don't leave work space on it they can be just as slow or slower than an HDD. You need more than "just enough" space if you want the performance they offer.

6 hours ago, pii said:

I'd say its much more than that. Some of those maps are 30+ gb if not more. Im not home right now to check it but 16gb I'm pretty sure is way low .

The question was how much extra SSD space the Eastern Syria expansion and Apache would add to an existing DCS install i.e. my existing install is 220GB and I expect it to increase by ~16 GB.

Syria
The current map is approx. 60 GB and guess it may increase to 70 GB when it increases in size/detail to the East.

AH-64D Apache
I expect DCS's base install to increase by ~3 GB due to the addition of the external 3D model and it's liveries. This effects all players including those who do not own the module.

Owners of the Apache should expect to use another ~3 GB for it's FM, cockpit interiors, mission files, etc.

These are rough "ball park" guesses and I expect the *real* increase to differ but be similar i.e. 16 +/- 10 GB 

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

10 hours ago, Ramsay said:

The question was how much extra SSD space the Eastern Syria expansion and Apache would add to an existing DCS install i.e. my existing install is 220GB and I expect it to increase by ~16 GB.

Syria
The current map is approx. 60 GB and guess it may increase to 70 GB when it increases in size/detail to the East.

AH-64D Apache
I expect DCS's base install to increase by ~3 GB due to the addition of the external 3D model and it's liveries. This effects all players including those who do not own the module.

Owners of the Apache should expect to use another ~3 GB for it's FM, cockpit interiors, mission files, etc.

These are rough "ball park" guesses and I expect the *real* increase to differ but be similar i.e. 16 +/- 10 GB 

You had me at "The question was how much extra SSD space the Eastern Syria expansion" 🙂 thats the only map I don't have and thought they were refering to the whole thing. Thanks for the clearifcation. 

Looking at my install, DCS is 266GB total, I have nearly everything except the WW2 stuff. Below are map sizes according to .../Mods/terrains folder. There may be additional stuff adding more stuff in other folders, not sure if these have everything but I'm guessing it has most.

• Syria: 60.6 GB
  • Caucasaus: 16.3 GB
  • MarianaIslands: 13.8 GB
  • Nevada: 34.3 GB
  • PersianGulf: 33.4 GB

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.