British Phantoms

Ash Lynx

I haven't seen any mention of the British variants (correct me if i'm wrong) so i am making this post just to get some attention for these variants. All i wanna know is that is there a possibility of getting these variants maybe pay a A-10C tank killer styled upgrade to whatever version the british variant closely relates to. Also if it is on the table then we need a brit voice acting the WSO.

P.S: I would happily do the British voice lines.😁

• Like 5

Not to mention the Spey-equipped Phantoms had wider intakes leading to increased drag which would have to be factored. Would still love to see them though.

Edited by CarbonFox

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

3 hours ago, CarbonFox said:

Not to mention the Spey-equipped Phantoms had wider intakes leading to increased drag which would have to be factored. Would still love to see them though.

And a fatter ar5e, but then the ass always gets bigger once an animal gets ‘Speyed’ lol. :thumbup:

• Like 4

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 5:56 AM, KPenn5 said:

The British F-4’s used Rolls Royce Spey, so they would have to model a whole other engine system. I think after the falklands they used surplus F-4J’s

They only used the Js for one squadron...74 as they had to send that squadron's FGR2s to the Falkland Islands to patrol.

Personally I would love the K/FG1 as this was both carrier and land based for the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force respectively

On 3/7/2022 at 3:03 AM, Toga10 said:

+1

Would love to see some British phantoms flying around

Phantom_FG1_43Sqn.jpg

Hmm, I don't remember seeing Phantoms with the fuel probe like that before! 

Was that limited to UK Phantoms, or did other nations have that too? Did the USN have probes like that? Israel and Iran?

Didn't USAF Phantoms have a port on the fuselage spine?

3 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Hmm, I don't remember seeing Phantoms with the fuel probe like that before! 

Was that limited to UK Phantoms, or did other nations have that too? Did the USN have probes like that? Israel and Iran?

Didn't USAF Phantoms have a port on the fuselage spine?

USAF used the boom method. RAF used the same system as USN/USMC etc.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

@Rick50, the USN variants (from which the RN/RAF variants evolved) used probe-and-drogue system. 

The probe folds up similarly to the one on a GR7/9 Harrier, but does so internally.  You can see the "door" on the back side of the probe.

See the source image

Here's a walkaround photo.  The probe is gone, but you can see the door which closes flush.

See the source image

Israel later installed a permanent probe kind of like the M2000 or the bent probe on the later A-4's.  Looks draggy-AF.

See the source image

I suspect Iran's F-4D and F-4E probably had the USAF style boom style refueling port on the spine. See IrAF photo below.

r/aviation - IRIAF F-4E Aerial Refueling.

• Thanks 1

Well considering the burners are tilted downwards from waterline, then add in all that angle, and finally consider that this would all position the burner nozzles physically closer to the deck...  I could imagine it scorching the deck paint!

I believe the deck is painted with an extremely durable industrial paint/coating/epoxy,  but could be only the "painted areas" with white or yellow paint. Well, nowdays.... just remembered Phantoms would have done this in much earlier decades, no idea what US carrier decks were like.

15 hours ago, The_Chugster said:

If i recall correctly, the increased take off AOA and the more powerful Spey engines actually melted the decks on American carriers

Yes. When the RN operated from the Saratoga, every launch of an RN Phantom was followed by dowsing the launch area with fire hoses to minimise any buckling or melting caused by the Speys. Higher heat - higher output - higher acoustics, all had an effect.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 6:56 AM, KPenn5 said:

The British F-4’s used Rolls Royce Spey, so they would have to model a whole other engine system. I think after the falklands they used surplus F-4J’s

Not only that - RR engines are wider, so a tail section had to be rebuilt. So RAF posesses the most powerfull and... the slowest Phantoms of all kind 🙂

source:

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 5:37 PM, The_Chugster said:

They only used the Js for one squadron...74 as they had to send that squadron's FGR2s to the Falkland Islands to patrol.

Not entirely accurate.  It was actually 23 Sqn that deployed to the Falklands with FGR2s.  That then left UK AD one Sqn short so in 1984 74 Sqn reformed, after 13 years of disbandment with the newly purchased 2nd hand F4Js.

Of note 74 Sqn got rid of their F4Js as soon as enough surplus FGR2s were available after other Sqns converted to Tornado F3.

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

On 5/12/2022 at 9:49 PM, Specter said:

Not entirely accurate.  It was actually 23 Sqn that deployed to the Falklands with FGR2s.  That then left UK AD one Sqn short so in 1984 74 Sqn reformed, after 13 years of disbandment with the newly purchased 2nd hand F4Js.

Of note 74 Sqn got rid of their F4Js as soon as enough surplus FGR2s were available after other Sqns converted to Tornado F3.

Oh of course it was 23Sq. How did i forget?

Yes, I've asked for  Royal Phantoms in the Wishlist thread. I really don't care which ones we get. Idealy I'd like both RAF an Royal Navy Phantoms, espeically if we get a carrier for the RN Phantom 

• 1 month later...

Well, we now have Port Stanley and Mount Pleasant to fly UK Phantoms from…

(although I have to say, that runway at Port Stanley looks pretty short and narrow…!  And I was using the Mosquito FB.VI for my sightseeing 😳 )

xv590-001-r-of-892-nas-from-hms-ark-roya

I love those zaps 🤪

In terms of armament, he FG.1 is less capable than the FGR.2 and both of them do differ in the details - e.g. the AWG-10s are different, the FG.1 has drooping ailerons and stab-slats (neither of which the FGR.2 has). Give us the Navy-models first and then we can talk about the Brit Tooms 👍

Now, talking Brit Tooms also kind of kicks down the door to the Banana Jets...

• Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

7 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Now, talking Brit Tooms also kind of kicks down the door to the Banana Jets...

How low can you go???

As kids we used to watch the Phantoms and Buccs at the (then) annual Navy Days - always a highlight

The Buccaneer Red Flag videos are always worth a Google 

Holy Hell…

Would need the Ark, of course…

Edited by rkk01

Id buy an F4K/Ark Royal DLC just on announcement. Unfortunately one has to be a realist and ask, how many others would? Its not like anyone else bought F4K's.

My initiation on them was watching the really rather splendid TV series 'Sailor' which was on in the late 70's, early 80's. Britains Biggest Warship gets close, but its not really Phantom Phriendly.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:18 PM, stuart666 said:

Unfortunately one has to be a realist and ask, how many others would?

Yup, I would choose Ark Royal phantoms over US Navy ones any day, but realistically speaking USN is much much more popular than RN globally.