Missing SP’s campaign in Syria

DN308

Maybe I had missed something but as a SP and A-10CII enthusiast, I miss some nice campaign in Syria, against ISIS for example.

I am way too new on DCS to imagine designing a campaign by myself but I wonder why there is no new campaign since years now (?)

• Like 1

I suppose there are a couple of potential reasons that no such campaign is out yet.

First of all, a campaign in Syria requires customers to purchase not just the A-10C and the campaign, but also the map. Many people here on the forum will consider this a no-brainer, but most DCS players never visit the forum, and I assume business-wise that just means less sales because not all people are likely to invest 50$ or more in a map just to be able to play a 10$ campaign. Granted, we are now seeing more and more new campaigns for the newer maps, so it seems to pay off. But I guess campaigns for the free maps are still likely to sell more copies.

Next, the A-10C used to have more content than any other DCS module. That is not to say that people wouldn't purchase more content, or that people are tired of the A-10C (I am certainly not! 😉). It does make sense though for campaign creators to look at the other popular modules and deliver content for those as well.

Finally, a story driven campaign can easily take 6 months to make, if not longer. The campaign creators are pumping out amazing content at an incredible pace as it is. I guess they just haven't gotten around to the A-10C + Syria combination yet, but I would be surprised if someone didn't tackle that in the future, because the module is still extremely popular and the map is just fantastic.

So let's hope it won't be too much of a wait for such a thing happening. :drinks_cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2022 at 6:14 PM, DN308 said:

but I wonder why there is no new campaign since years now (?)

Syria was released on August 2020, and the A-10C2 on September, so barely a year and a half ago. I’m sure that eventually a campaign designer will fill that niche.

in the meantime, you could give this user campaign a try:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318702/

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Syria was released on August 2020, and the A-10C2 on September, so barely a year and a half ago. I’m sure that eventually a campaign designer will fill that niche.

in the meantime, you could give this user campaign a try:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318702/

Already done and in touch with the designer. He doesn't work on it anymore unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Castor Troy said:

Sequel to OPF for the Syria map???:music_whistling:

You mean Operation Piercing Fury? My understanding is this campaign was abandoned by the original creator and is no longer in a usable state. I think I understand how frustrating it can be, having to keep fixing a campaign that was running perfectly well just because DCS changes around it. Anyway, I for one wouldn't purchase another product from the same creator, unless he made a very compelling argument his next campaign wouldn't drop out of support in the same way. Haven't seen him on these forums in ages, though, and don't think this is likely to happen.

Too bad, because OPF was a great campaign, absolutely top tier DCS content.