Can AIM-120C lock a helicopter with 0 TAS?

IVAN01rch

1 hour ago, Badger1-1 said:

Thats not how filters work, yes the rotor is super fast but still the closing speed/rate is still close to 0.

That's exactly how Doppler notch filters work: that spinny thing has reflective material moving at a very high linear speed, both negative and positive.

The issue though is that the return, even though it might have a very distinctive Doppler shift, is fairly small, so in general it's hard to detect a spinning rotor at long range. The shorter range of a missile might actually still be able to see it though.

I would assume though that in this case, the AIM-120C just went directly for the last contact position with extrapolation as it should and hit the heli.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IVAN01rch said:

I was sitting there for quite a long time. So it must have locked onto me without me moving relative to the ground. I find this weird.

I don't know how DCS does this atm but depending on the radar and its software it certainly is possible to detect and track hovering heli - its fuselage can hide but its moving rotor cannot.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7522089B2/en

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 3/7/2022 at 4:22 PM, toilet2000 said:

That's exactly how Doppler notch filters work: that spinny thing has reflective material moving at a very high linear speed, both negative and positive.

Not in DCS, as DCS doesn't simulate the doppler effect of the rotor (unless something has changeded recently, which I doubt, as such a change wasn't mentioned anywhere).

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

4 hours ago, QuiGon said:

Not in DCS, as DCS doesn't simulate the doppler effect of the rotor (unless something has changeded recently, which I doubt, as such a change wasn't mentioned anywhere).

That’s not part of DCS but rather part of the radar code, which is most often per-module and not DCS-wide. I know Galinette (Razbam’s radar dev) has talked about it.

6 hours ago, toilet2000 said:

That’s not part of DCS but rather part of the radar code, which is most often per-module and not DCS-wide. I know Galinette (Razbam’s radar dev) has talked about it.

Where did he talk about it? I would like to see that, because it doesn't make sense to me, as their code has to work with the values provided by the API and I don't think helos have doppler return values for their rotor. Maybe RAZBAM artifically multiplies the RCS for a target that is of the type "helicopter", but that's all I could think of.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

sitting still should technically be irrelevant because you are not maintaining equidistant from the radar source so there is still a speed differential. If the missile has a reasonable line of sight behind you before the "clutter" interferes it will still track you. Basically it looks like you aren't close enough to the terrain to hide.