R-77-1 Has range of around 90km?!

Cmptohocah

Just saw this video and it looks like R-77-1 has a range of around 90km!?

The video shows Su-35's HUD at the moment of firing an R-77 ARH missile. Launching aircraft is doing M0.95 at around 12.9km altitude.
Strangely, I can't seem to tell speed and height of the target.

It looks like it might be also lofting, but unless someone figures out the target's altitude this is just speculation.

Edited by Cmptohocah

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

11 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

Are you sure the target is 90 km away? It seems odd to fire from that distance with such a huge off-boresight-angle.

Nope, the target appears to be some 81km away, but the Rmax is around 90km (upper edge of that dynamic range box).

xxx.png

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

You are using Rmax wrong... it is R1 and R2 ranges in Russian manuals.... so Rmax not necessarily equal R1... especially since manual instruct pilot to fire R1 which would be exceptionally low probably shot if Rmax = R1. 

Edited by FoxAlfa

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

4 hours ago, FoxAlfa said:

You are using Rmax wrong... it is R1 and R2 ranges in Russian manuals.... so Rmax not necessarily equal R1... especially since manual instruct pilot to fire R1 which would be exceptionally low probably shot if Rmax = R1. 

Ok, fair enough, so what is the R1 here?

To my knowledge R1 is exactly the same as Rmax, but I am ready to be corrected.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

6 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

Just saw this video and it looks like R-77-1 has a range of around 90km!?

The video shows Su-35's HUD at the moment of firing an R-77 ARH missile. Launching aircraft is doing M0.95 at around 12.9km altitude.
Strangely, I can't seem to tell speed and height of the target.

It looks like it might be also lofting, but unless someone figures out the target's altitude this is just speculation.

Target is probably the one marked with 1 on the HUD, well below the horizon, so seems like it does loft.

Untitled.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

Ok, fair enough, so what is the R1 here?

To my knowledge R1 is exactly the same as Rmax, but I am ready to be corrected.

R1 is 90 km. R1 is not the same as Rmax since there are engineering safety include into calculations, like wind, trigger passing speed, temperature, hit probability etc... Also some pilots stated that missiles should be able to pull 3g for more then few seconds pass R1... That is why Rmax > R1... 

• Thanks 1

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

40 minutes ago, FoxAlfa said:

R1 is 90 km. R1 is not the same as Rmax since there are engineering safety include into calculations, like wind, trigger passing speed, temperature, hit probability etc... Also some pilots stated that missiles should be able to pull 3g for more then few seconds pass R1... That is why Rmax > R1... 

Ah I see, ok even better. 

Thanks for the explanation.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

• 4 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 9:26 PM, FoxAlfa said:

From what I've heard and read so far, the limiting factors are available terminal manoeuvre G's, missile speed needs to be higher than launching platform speed at time of impact, overtake speed over target (important for rear aspect shots) should also be enough for the fuse to work properly. These limits will also probably differ depending on missile, launching platform and intended target 😄