Thanks to the Developers, a couple of questions for you

toby23

A huge thank you to everyone who worked so hard on Black Shark. The model is second to none, the sim runs super smooth and the new GUI looks great.

Thanks for fixing the exhaust effects, shadows, screen resolutions and for providing an english cockpit for international pilots like me.

I have a couple of questions that I couldn`t find answers to here, or in the manual.

1. I have the EU Download version, can I order a printed manual for this version, like I did for Lock On? I don`t want the CD version, just a printed manual.

2. How do I increase the LOD so that the mountains in the background also have higher res textures as per foreground?

3. I have a weird shimmering kind of moving horizontal stripe thing going on with the mountains/ terrain in the background, what can I do to eliminate this? My system, drivers etc etc all work fine and are up to date but I still see a stripey shimmering in distant terrain. (BFG GTX260 180.48 Drivers)

4. I have only tried Instant Action in Arcade Mode to get a feel for the aircraft and I want to try Sim Mode next but...

Q. How can I start cold or warm on a runway of my choice without any enemies? I can`t figure this out, do I use the Mission Editor or am I missing something obvious? I just want to practice the basics without worrying about being attacked and without a wingman. :joystick:

Thanks for making Christmas come early, enjoy your holidays and a well earned break. This is just what I was hoping for!

Toby

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

1. I have the EU Download version, can I order a printed manual for this version, like I did for Lock On? I don`t want the CD version, just a printed manual.

A printed, extended manual will be released at a later date.

Q. How can I start cold or warm on a runway of my choice without any enemies? I can`t figure this out, do I use the Mission Editor or am I missing something obvious? I just want to practice the basics without worrying about being attacked and without a wingman. :joystick:

In the mission editor place your 1st waypoint above an airbase and select "Takeoff from runway". If you select "Takeoff from parking" you will start in a cold & dark state. In that case you can use "LWin + Home" to perform the automatic start-up procedure.

• ED Team

Here is a quick answers for some of your questions:

1. There will be a english paper manual avaiable for purchase in the nearer future.

2. Check the graphic.cfg files for LOD settings.

About simply flying around:

Go to the mission editor. Klick on the helo symbol on the left. Place the Ka-50 on a Airport, choose "Player" on the right side menus.

Then you have two options: Start from runway: All systems on, engines running and you ready to go. Start from Parking Area: Cold cockpit, you need to apply the startup procedure.

to 4: either you go in the mission editor and just place a ka-50 on a airfield (waypoint 1 = start from parking) save that and you got it, or you can also go ahead and download "Training Day 1" mission from wolfast, which you can find here in the forums (mission, tracks forum) (both would be a cold start)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-14 Tomcat

Rest in Peace

(and hopefully get reborn in DCS!)

(Dream came true about 10 years later, now the Apache please :lol:)

3. I have a weird shimmering kind of moving horizontal stripe thing going on with the mountains/ terrain in the background, what can I do to eliminate this? My system, drivers etc etc all work fine and are up to date but I still see a stripey shimmering in distant terrain. (BFG GTX260 180.48 Drivers)

This is a carry over from the Lock On engine with clouds present which affects some video cards... I have it too with 8800GTs.

Me too (Radeon 4780), but I have this in LockOn too.

My DCS movies:

Update:

I've solved my own problem; and it is not difficult to fix!!

This is a known issue with a few people, and it usually occurs when you mix new vid cards (nvidia anyway), new drivers, and try to run DX9 games with DX10.

The solution: Force DX9 in DCS: BlackShark.

The method:

1. Right-click on your DCS shortcut.

2. Select 'properties' from the menu.

3. In the 'target' box, rename the shortcut to include "-DX9".

*example* "C:\1C\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\bin\stable\Launcher.exe" --console

would now look like ---> "C:\1C\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\bin\stable\Launcher.exe" -DX9 --console

4. Click 'Apply'.

This should run BlackShark in DX9 now, and as an added bonus, I get a couple extra FPS!

Hope this helps any others!!

This method has helped get rid of most of the shadow glitches; but not quite all... still, much nicer clouds now!!