Open XR runtime support

dburne

I would love to see DCS offer support for running VR in the Open XR runtime. It has really come a long way, and along with now the toolkit one of the developers offers for it allows for much more tweaking of the image to help increase clarity along with performance.

All WMR headsets support Open XR ( which Reverb G2 is very popular and used by many with DCS) and also Varjo Aero has support for it as well. Does great with MSFS 2020.

So ED I so wish you could take a look at supporting Open XR runtime for DCS as well. The improvement in performance for DCS in VR would be a very good thing.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 10

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 minutes ago, winghunter said:

OpenXR toolkit is a game changer for VR performance. I second this, openXR > openVR

Yes indeed it is a game changer and would really benefit DCS VR on the performance side. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

OpenXR is a part of the Vulkan API, afaik, so I would assume OpenXR support in DCS be coming with the implementation of Vulkan.

• Like 3

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

1 hour ago, Rosebud47 said:

OpenXR is a part of the Vulkan API, afaik, so I would assume OpenXR support in DCS be coming with the implementation of Vulkan.

Hmm can't say I have ever heard that one.  MSFS 2020 has Open XR runtime and does great with Reverb and Aero. Not sure it has Vulkan.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Microsoft games will not utilize Vulkan (a successor to OpenGL) since they develop and use their own Direct X API.  You can bet that OpenXR will eventually come to DCS, as it is the new (unified) VR standard that is being pushed and supported by all major parties (MS, Steam, Meta).

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Hmm, reversed logic doesn´t work for everything 🙂. With MSFS 2020 they a surely following their DirectX graphics API, as it is a Microsoft thing. Once the WMR headsets came out, Microsoft wanted to build up an independent VR API to Steam and Oculus, but somewhere on official statements for Vulkan was mentioned that OpenXR is an elemental part of newest Vulkan graphics API. But please don´t ask me to google it again 🙂.

As far as it concerns DCS, I would say, it´s not absolutely sure, that DCS will support OpenXR through Vulkan. I guess you could implement Vulkan in different ways and with different integral features, but it would be a pity if ED would leave the OpneXR integration in Vulkan aside, when supporting Vulkan in DCS.  

Edit: Oh, Supmua just had some similar thoughts. Isn´t there a flight simulator, which does support Vulkan? Might be interesting to know, if that one flight sim with Vulkan also supports OpenXR... ?

Edited by Rosebud47

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

XPlane supports Vulkan (royalty-free).  VR implementation is a separate thing independent of Direct X or Vulkan or OpenGL, devs can use whatever runtime they want (oculus, OpenVR, openXR).

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 2

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

What we need for now is a good implementation of fixed foveated rendering for DCS.  It’s been proven that when done correctly the fps goes up dramatically.  I gained extra 20-25 fps easily in MSFS which is just crazy, and the author of the mod said this will get even better. 

15 minutes ago, Supmua said:

What we need for now is a good implementation of fixed foveated rendering for DCS.  It’s been proven that when done correctly the fps goes up dramatically.  I gained extra 20-25 fps easily in MSFS which is just crazy, and the author of the mod said this will get even better. 

Pretty sure if DCS supported Open XR we would have that ability.

Don B

Nah I would want "native" support for Open XR.

Maybe someday...

I know ED has had some dialogue with the Varjo gang so perhaps there might be hope.

Edited by dburne

Don B

This link is far easier to use... V0.4 note the comments re DCS support.

https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases

OK, a very quick test, initial findings below:

1) DOES NOT work with VRPerfkit.

2) Reprojection not supported (SteamVR bypassed).

3) Cannot launch FPSVR as obviously SteamVR is NOT used.

Edited by zildac
  • Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

You can use the motion reprojection from openXR, it allows to « upsample » from 30 or 45 fps. Or you can disable it and run 90.

15 minutes ago, BlackSharkAce said:

You can use the motion reprojection from openXR, it allows to « upsample » from 30 or 45 fps. Or you can disable it and run 90.

Interesting, so in the OpenXR Dev tools program? As that is already set to auto (for FS2020) and it's jumping between 45 & 70fFPS in DCS so it doesn't appear to be working.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Interesting, so in the OpenXR Dev tools program? As that is already set to auto (for FS2020) and it's jumping between 45 & 70fFPS in DCS so it doesn't appear to be working.

Set it to « enabled » or « forced » so it will always be active (45 or 30 fps). It gives more stable results than if it’s jumping between 90+ and 45 in « automatic ».

I say 90 because I have a reverb g2, might be 70 for other headsets.

16 minutes ago, BlackSharkAce said:

Set it to « enabled » or « forced » so it will always be active (45 or 30 fps). It gives more stable results than if it’s jumping between 90+ and 45 in « automatic ».

I say 90 because I have a reverb g2, might be 70 for other headsets.

Hi, I understand, however setting it to always on or enabled the framerate still jumps around. I, too have a G2. Are you talking about the OpenXR settings here:

image.png

21 minutes ago, BlackSharkAce said:

Yes it’s this setting ! I run it without preview mode, but that shouldn’t affect it.

Odd, it didn't seem to work. I'll try and do some more testing later. The fact that it precludes the use of FPSVR (for meaningful performance comparison) and VRPerfkit is a bit of a turn off for me though.

Odd, it didn't seem to work. I'll try and do some more testing later. The fact that it precludes the use of FPSVR (for meaningful performance comparison) and VRPerfkit is a bit of a turn off for me though.

There is another program called OBS for performance measurement that should work. Not sure about VRPerfkit.

Edit: not OBS, but CapFrameX. People are using it to graph frame times and fps. https://www.capframex.com/
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 3:40 AM, zildac said:

So by using this you can use Open XR toolkit with DCS?  Do you just run Open XR(instead of Steam VR?) and then DCS?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

So by using this you can use Open XR toolkit with DCS?  Do you just run Open XR(instead of Steam VR?) and then DCS?
In theory yes, but I've not tried it.

Boy now if that would allow using the Open XR runtime rather than the Steam VR runtime along with the Toolkit now that would be something.

But as DCS does not have native Open XR runtime support then the results might be very different. The ideal situation would be if ED could add native Open XR support same as MSFS 2020 has. Then throw in DCS also offering TAA then all that would greatly enhance the VR experience with DCS.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 3

Don B