Open XR runtime support

dburne

My experience performance wise so far isn't great, however, I find DCS using SteamVR with my Reverb G1 is much smoother (with motion reprojection on) than MSFS so that maybe be down to my PC config (I run a 8600K at 4.9GHz which seems pretty good for DCS in VR, maybe that isn't so good for OpenXR?)

Running DCS in OpenXR works fine but unless I achieve 90fps it isn't smooth at all, so this must be down to motion reprojection. I have tried enabling it in OpenXR tools but seem to have little or no effect.

My initial reaction is that this isn't the boost some have suggested it might be but it is early days of tweaking!

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

22 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Before I step down this rabbit hole as well, how much gain we are talking here.

I'm running a G2 on 3080TI with 5900, tuned with VRperfKit and all that is imaginable.   My benchmark is the F-14 cold start in NTTR which lead to a frame time around 17-18ms looking around.

I know it is all very dependent on a bunch of things, but can someone provide a rough ballpark number, so I would be able to figure out if it's worth it to start digging into this, please.

I get 45fps cold start in an F-14 with a 3070.

No shader mods, no openFSR. Most settings to low except clouds standard, water medium, textures medium, MSAA 2x.

I found shader mods no longer give a perf benefit with latest 2.7.10 and openFSR performance gain is not worth the visual quality loss.

Pixel Density 1.0 and steam SS 100%

Edited by winghunter
  • Thanks 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

3 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

This is what i did to get it to work:

Download the file OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.4.zip from here:

https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases

From the zip file copy the files to your DCS installation bin folder (backup existing files first):

opencomposite.ini
openvr_api.dll
D3DCompiler_47.dll

Note that I already had OpenXR Tools installed on my PC, you can get it from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/openxr-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9n5cvvl23qbt#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Note that having the display timing overlay on will stop DCS from starting

I just started DCS in VR mode normally - some people say you need to keep DCS in the foreground when loading by clicking on the icon in the status bar, I didn't seem to need to do this but if you get a blank screen try this.

Great, thank so much!

• Like 1

Does this work with non-native OpenXR HMD such as the Vive Pro or Valve Index?

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

On 3/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, edmuss said:

@nikoel

Some rather impressive image clarity there!

Copied the files/folders over to the DCS folder (backed up copies of the originals), WMR running steamvr not running. First boot into DCS and it's all cross eyed and zoomed, restarted DCS and all comes in clear as day. 

Well I dont know what I am doing wrong but each time I boot in to DSS i get the close up almost giving me a  headache view. The screen slews when I turn my head instead of the menu staying in the middle and if i press the center HMD button the screen seems to randomly move around even go so far as to be behind the menu. (same happens if i go in to a plane)

So backed up and copied openvr_api.dll and D3DComplier_47.dll to the BIN folder in DCS. Copied the opencomposite.ini file to the same location. Ran the OpenComp Runtime switcher and then copied the 2 created .dll files again to the bin folder. 

I did clear the Metashader2 and fxo folder just in case.

What am i missing as I feel like I am. probably missing a step but cant figure it out. DCS runs and Steam doesnt launch but yeah screen is just messed up and unflyable.

Already have OpenXR Toolkit as fly MSFS2020 and have a 3090 and G2 HMD.

Edited by razalom

6 minutes ago, razalom said:

Well I dont know what I am doing wrong but each time I boot in to DSS i get the close up almost giving me a  headache view. The screen slews when I turn my head instead of the menu staying in the middle and if i press the center HMD button the screen seems to randomly move around even go so far as to be behind the menu. (same happens if i go in to a plane)

Might be worth clearing the environment data in WMR and resetting the seating position?

I read that the recentre works a bit weird you have to look (not move) the opposite way to where you want it to shift to or something like that. Sat in the Spit I got centred in the right place but whenever I looked left I got the out of cockpit wind sound so it is a bit buggy.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Gave it a first quick test. Picture looks way better than vanilla DCS but I believe I'm buying too many disadvantages with it. Just my list, probably not complete

1. Motion Smoothing is way worth

2. I can't use VRK(neeboard) any more

3. PointCtrl is off, but that might be doable by re-calibrating. 

4. All still a little wonkey, even so that's normal with DCS VR, I guess. 

5.... We will see. 

Since that mod is Ovgme'able, I will follow along and see if it goes the right direction. Then for sure I need a new kneeboard solution 😭

Hi there, I have a problem here. Installed and tried, all was ok with apache and ka50. But soon I realized that my IPD in dcs was 0.5 because I used an higher value in steam vr. So i switchet to 1.0 restarted and after that the vr session not load reamin a black screen. I can see in the g2 the WMR portal, then the triangle and after that all remains black....

No mods and made the clean and fix routine before the installation

What I can do ?

Edited by X_legio

On 3/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, Supmua said:

Does this work with non-native OpenXR HMD such as the Vive Pro or Valve Index?

Shouldn't have to.  The whole point is to get around the bottleneck between SVR and WMR.   

Way I look at it, ED didn't cause this problem, and they can't solve it.  Fubar. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

@BIGNEWYHi there, we know there is not much of a timeline for Vulkan and Multicore support, but do you happen to know whether the Vulkan renderer rewrite will entail OpenXR support for the VR portion of the sim? Thank you! 

• Like 1

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

3 hours ago, mhe said:

@BIGNEWYHi there, we know there is not much of a timeline for Vulkan and Multicore support, but do you happen to know whether the Vulkan renderer rewrite will entail OpenXR support for the VR portion of the sim? Thank you! 

I’ve read Bignewy or Nineline say that OpenXR support will come eventually. Also in the 15/10/2021 newsletter when they updated the multithreading status, VR support was among the remaining tasks. I don’t think OpenXR support will come with multithreading but with Vulkan, but I’m hopeful for performance improvements with it as well.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

On 3/7/2022 at 5:52 PM, dburne said:

Hmm can't say I have ever heard that one.  MSFS 2020 has Open XR runtime and does great with Reverb and Aero. Not sure it has Vulkan.

Just want to remind you all ED anounced to switch to Vulkan in Q3 2021.
That is all about DCS on Vulkan soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al-Azraq said:

I’ve read Bignewy or Nineline say that OpenXR support will come eventually. Also in the 15/10/2021 newsletter when they updated the multithreading status, VR support was among the remaining tasks. I don’t think OpenXR support will come with multithreading but with Vulkan, but I’m hopeful for performance improvements with it as well.

Native Open XR support along with offering TAA would do wonders for this sim in VR. MSAA is way too big a resource hog.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

23 minutes ago, dburne said:

Native Open XR support along with offering TAA would do wonders for this sim in VR. MSAA is way too big a resource hog.

this OpenXR sure works like a champ!  🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure I'm in over my head on all this. But I've managed to get the OXR Toolkit working in MSFS and I'm fiddling with that & it's helping. But I can't get it to open in-game for DCS. I hit ctrl-F2 and nothing happens.

I have an Oculus Rift-S, if that makes any difference. Running DCS Steam version.

Why would it open in MSFS and not in DCS?

Thx for any help.

Try resetting the bindings in openxr toolkit to Ctrl+arrows, it seems that DCS grabs the bindings when it starts up so the toolkit doesn't see the key presses.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

2 hours ago, Bluecat said:

Thanks @edmuss but unfortunately no response. It still doesn't recognize the ctrl-arrow input.

Is there some difference between activating the OpenXR runtime and the Oculus runtime? It doesn't seem to matter in MSFS, but maybe in DCS?

Use the Skate Zilla DCS Updater program and go to app settings. Launch VR using Steam API instead of oculus API.

this replaces the AMD FSR Openvr_api.dll and Im not convinced your seeing any improvement that isnt already done with AMDs FSR,also when I run DCS from a desktop shortcut it usually after the loading autostarts SteamVR and I understand you change this in WMR but how do you start openxr ? or does it autostart in place of steamvr when you start DCS?

On 3/16/2022 at 4:49 AM, Baldrick33 said:

This is what i did to get it to work:

Download the file OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.4.zip from here:

https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases

From the zip file copy the files to your DCS installation bin folder (backup existing files first):

opencomposite.ini
openvr_api.dll
D3DCompiler_47.dll

Note that I already had OpenXR Tools installed on my PC, you can get it from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/openxr-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9n5cvvl23qbt#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Note that having the display timing overlay on will stop DCS from starting

I just started DCS in VR mode normally - some people say you need to keep DCS in the foreground when loading by clicking on the icon in the status bar, I didn't seem to need to do this but if you get a blank screen try this.

14 minutes ago, SkipCarey said:

this replaces the AMD FSR Openvr_api.dll and Im not convinced your seeing any improvement that isnt already done with AMDs FSR,also when I run DCS from a desktop shortcut it usually after the loading autostarts SteamVR and I understand you change this in WMR but how do you start openxr ? or does it autostart in place of steamvr when you start DCS?

This post goes into detail how to get OpenXR running. It is regularly updated as more knowledge is gained.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:19 AM, Baldrick33 said:

This post goes into detail how to get OpenXR running. It is regularly updated as more knowledge is gained.

That does not even come close to answering the question I posed,which is  since the Openvr_api.dll in this mod replaces the FSR file which is a Openvr_api.dll,along with the original Openvr_api.orig.dll ,two different files ,I am assuming these files must be deleted in order to have Openxr install correctly has anyone had AMDs FSR  function correctly alongside this Openxr mod is what Im asking,I havent had anyone answer this and Im curious,most just ignore the question or offer up this quickstart guide which does not go into this issue,Thanks for any replies................

Edited by SkipCarey
clarify

10 minutes ago, SkipCarey said:

That does not even come close to answering the question I posed,which is  since the Openvr_api.dll in this mod replaces the FSR file which is a Openvr_api.dll,along with the original Openvr_api.orig.dll ,two different files ,I am assuming these files must be deleted in order to have Openxr install correctly has anyone had AMDs FSR  function correctly alongside this Openxr mod is what Im asking,I havent had anyone answer this and Im curious,most just ignore the question or offer up this quickstart guide which does not go into this issue,Thanks for any replies................

The post I linked to refers to the OpenXR Toolkit which includes FSR functionality. I think it is safe to assume you can't run both tools.

openxr toolkit 0.png

On 3/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, Rosebud47 said:

OpenXR is a part of the Vulkan API, afaik, so I would assume OpenXR support in DCS be coming with the implementation of Vulkan.

They're very separate - you can see the current list of standard-ish supported graphics APIs for OpenXR in 'valid usage (implicit)' for XrSessionCreateInfo in the specification. I say 'standard-ish' as it's up to OpenXR runtime implementors (i.e. Oculus/Valve/HP/MS/....) which they want to support, and they can make up their own too.

The highlights for modern PC games are D3D11, D3D12, and Vulkan, but there's also OpenGL-on-windows, and a bunch of linux- and mobile-specific alternatives.

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

@actually_fred had expressed myself too quick and indiffirent with that. Didn´t meant that OpenXR is integrated in Vulkan, like DirectX is per se coming with Windows, but was refering to a presentation of Khronos Group representatives, I was watching some years ago, in which was talking about conceptual integration of OpenXR into Vulkan for extending the interface for VR, what was at that time more supported by Khronos Group developers for future application than OpenVR.

Surely game developers could take use of whatever VR protocol they want, to extend the graphics interface for VR...

By the way, I´ve recently installed Reshade 5.0.2 to improve the graphics in DCS. Would it be more recommendable to delete Reshade 5 and install the new OpenXR runtime mod for better improvements in DCS VR with a Reverb G2? 

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

4 hours ago, Rosebud47 said:

@actually_fred had expressed myself too quick and indiffirent with that. Didn´t meant that OpenXR is integrated in Vulkan, like DirectX is per se coming with Windows, but was refering to a presentation of Khronos Group representatives, I was watching some years ago, in which was talking about conceptual integration of OpenXR into Vulkan for extending the interface for VR, what was at that time more supported by Khronos Group developers for future application than OpenVR.

Surely game developers could take use of whatever VR protocol they want, to extend the graphics interface for VR...

By the way, I´ve recently installed Reshade 5.0.2 to improve the graphics in DCS. Would it be more recommendable to delete Reshade 5 and install the new OpenXR runtime mod for better improvements in DCS VR with a Reverb G2? 

Only one way to find out...

:renske:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|