Roman Ruins

dresoccer4

Awesome Roman Ruins in Aleppo! I love exploring this map.

(sorry I destroyed the ruins with a hard landing, but it's primarily the ruin's fault for being so flammable!)

1-ruins.jpg

• Like 4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

6 hours ago, BuzzLine said:

Where is that one ?

It's the "Citadel of Aleppo", N36°11'58" E37°09'46", 1406ft.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

They're more than just Roman. I believe that the citadel itself was built by the Seleucid empire, a successor state to the Macedonian empire after the death of Alexander. From there, it'd be under Roman/Byzantine control starting in 64 B.C. and would go on to be part of many empires; Zengid, Ayyubid, Mongols, Mamluks, Ottoman, and finally under French mandate until 1945.

So what we're seeing is quite a few cultures being represented in one place. The mosques inside the citadel for example? They started out as Byzantine churches.

• Like 3

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

1 hour ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

They're more than just Roman. I believe that the citadel itself was built by the Seleucid empire, a successor state to the Macedonian empire after the death of Alexander. From there, it'd be under Roman/Byzantine control starting in 64 B.C. and would go on to be part of many empires; Zengid, Ayyubid, Mongols, Mamluks, Ottoman, and finally under French mandate until 1945.

So what we're seeing is quite a few cultures being represented in one place. The mosques inside the citadel for example? They started out as Byzantine churches.

I had no idea ! Many thanks, I love history ❤️ What an extraordinary place. Now I want to go and visit...  😕

@MiG21bisFishbedLyou should do a mission/campaign where people would fly to all those places in Syria and you would provide all the historical context and references. Maybe using the T-51, so everyone could fly around ? 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuzzLine said:

I had no idea ! Many thanks, I love history ❤️ What an extraordinary place. Now I want to go and visit...  😕

@MiG21bisFishbedLyou should do a mission/campaign where people would fly to all those places in Syria and you would provide all the historical context and references. Maybe using the T-51, so everyone could fly around ? 😄 

I'll honestly put that into consideration. I may just have to do that. It'll require me to do some deep dives on specifics since I'm a stickler for accuracy, but that means I have to do deep dives into history so.. that's not an issue for me!

• Like 5

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 3/9/2022 at 5:07 PM, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

I'll honestly put that into consideration. I may just have to do that. It'll require me to do some deep dives on specifics since I'm a stickler for accuracy, but that means I have to do deep dives into history so.. that's not an issue for me!

i'd play the heck out of that mission

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 2 weeks later...

Another good place to search for ruins is just to the west of Akrotiri in Cyprus - fly northwest along the coast then when the coast turns westwards there's some hills just inland with lots of ruins.  Called Ancient Kourion on Google Earth.

Also worth checking out on Cyprus is Famagusta, on the coast northeast of Kingsfield / southeast of Gecitkale, with the city walls, Othello Castle and mosque.

I'm sure a lot of the features in the ruins are common assets - the amphitheratre in the middle of the Aleppo ruins looks very similar to the one near Akrotiri, and I've seen the same object on the north coast of Cyprus too - but it's still great to find and explore them.  And the Huey is a great aircraft for doing it.

Edited by JBDCS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, hmleao said:

Is there a way to go faster to a point like this on f10 map? I kind of use references and do a manual work to get there. Is there something to get there quickly from f10 or mission editor?

Zoom to a place where you want to go with the F10 map and then press LCtrl+F10 and it will place the camera exactly there, where you are in the F10 map.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Zoom to a place where you want to go with the F10 map and then press LCtrl+F10 and it will place the camera exactly there, where you are in the F10 map.

Thanks for the tip, but I was thinking something more on the lines of when I open the map and don't know where this cool stuff is. If there's some place where I can get theses coordinates from posts like this and instead of moving my cursor manually on the map I'd put somewhere the coordinates and get there.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...