Aegis Gulf War Vet & Combat Systems SME Happy Comments

Alfa Foxtrot

Where has this been in my life before now??? I must live under a rock…

I served in the US Navy during the Gulf War aboard an Aegis ship in CIC. After the war I was an SME for several major defense contractors where I was tasked with developing combat system operator training simulations to acquaint new crew with the various modes, functions, and methodologies from the manufacturer weapons specifications, known in the fleet as “Computer Assisted Submode Training” (CAST). 

CAST had a terrible reputation dating back to the 1980’s. Turns out the reason behind this was poor management rather than incompetent developers. Just a low dollar program managers and government had no interest in beyond throwing a “deliverable” to the fleet to say it was done “to contract.”

That may sound harsh but CAST served its purpose and did become much better over time as later baselines of Aegis developed- despite the lack of good management to take it to THIS LEVEL as it needed to be. You can imagine my excitement to get my hands on DCS World 7 last week.

Like aircraft spec’s, Navy ship spec’s are available too. At least I can say that they are available in PDF (in 42 volumes - each hundreds of pages) FOUO. 

Knowing that with CAST there was an operator front end of the ACS console and associated equipment elements that could simulate all operator functions accurately in CIC, I wonder how difficult something like that would be to integrate into DCS to allow critical Aegis functionality in the game? Allowing users to set up the equivalent of Aegis Doctrine statement to perform weapons and sensor functions, Air Intercept Control, Datalink, EW, FAAWC, Strike, etc. Large market for that and it would easily be the end of CAST if available through current defense contracting regs. Though perhaps not under current circumstances… 🇺🇦

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Issue with AEGIS and DCS first and foremost is the DCS radar modeling. I haven't found a better combat flight sim in my life, and I have wasted literally thousands of hours bumming around P3D, war thunder, MSFS, XPlane, you name it, I like sims. The schoolhouse at San Angelo apparently even picked it up in a recreational capacity I hear, but not until after I was through it 😔. You can't beat DCS for what it is. Thing is, when it comes to modeling fleet defenders you are probably closer to HPasp's SAMSIM for supporting code (If you have not seen SAMSIM, it is free and it is absolutely the best in esoteric Hungarian SAM modeling). The electromagnetic spectrum modeling in DCS is very lackluster. I'm not sure if you've already come across them, but try searching for some youtube videos or forum posts analyzing DCS's ECM pods. They do a much better rundown than I can provide, suffice it to say if we talk in terms of flight models, RADAR/EW/ECM modeling in DCS more like a train on a track than a well modeled plane. 

That said if ED looks at your post and decides they want to make an unclass Aegis module I will be right there with you and who knows who else buying it up, I love Dangerous Waters and I love DCS, sounds like it would be a beautiful baby. 

Edit: Link to SAMSIM:
https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Edited by Vapor_12
-Useful information added for original poster. -Clarification added in main paragraph