would a upgraded NATO MiG-29 or Su-25 be possible

upyr1

It is safe to say we'll never be able to get a modern Russian version of the MiG-29 or Su-25 unless some miracle happens. However would there be any chance of getting a foreign post cold war upgraded version?  These particular models would use western avionics which may already be in DCS. I'd really like  cold war version of these fighters in FF but I'd have no objection to some post cold war NATO upgrade

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bies said:

Full fidelity MiG-29 9.12 is already planned. Su-25A could be next.

I hope that it is next. I still wonder if we could get a NATO post cold war variant on par with the Viper and Hornets we have

Edited by upyr1

10 hours ago, upyr1 said:

I hope that it is next. I still wonder if we could get a NATO post cold war variant on par with the Viper and Hornets we have

There really is no such thing - upgrades performed to these aircraft in NATO service usually don't involve improvements to combat systems/armament, but merely practical items such as navigation and radio equipment, which doesn't make them on par with the late Viper and Hornet versions we have in DCS.

10 hours ago, upyr1 said:

NATO post cold war variant of MiG-29? Like Polish, Bulgarian or Czech MiG-29 9.12? The only upgrades were NATO IFF and NATO secure radios, some received imperial gauges scale as well. They were not used in combat. And they were definitely not on par with 2006 F-16 or F/A-18.

Edited by bies

28 minutes ago, bies said:

NATO post cold war variant of MiG-29? Like Polish, Bulgarian or Czech MiG-29 9.12? The only upgrades were NATO IFF and NATO secure radios, some received imperial gauges scale as well. They were not used in combat. And they were definitely not on par with 2006 F-16 or F/A-18.

I was thinking the Slovak Air Force upgrades were more extensive 

Well for the SU-25 the Georgians had that Skorpian upgrade that they partnered up with the Israeli's on. We might not be able to get the SM3 Russian upgrades but the Skorpian stuff was pretty substantial for its time. I think if you google SU-25 Scorpian there's a good old fashioned late '90's VCR tape video showing off all the cool <profanity> it has.

1 hour ago, bies said:

NATO post cold war variant of MiG-29? Like Polish, Bulgarian or Czech MiG-29 9.12? The only upgrades were NATO IFF and NATO secure radios, some received imperial gauges scale as well. 

Not true.
47881_1476531326.jpg

This is a Polish MiG-29A, you can clearly see a modern-style MFD and a UFC similar to the Hornet's. Don't ask me what they do, but there definitely were more upgrades than just IFF. And they were not used in combat because these countries (besides Georgia) had scarcely seen any, a situation that might be about to change.

That said, it's probably just a moving map and GPS system, maybe also datalink, not unlike ABRIS in the Ka-50. I imagine you can also switch it to the HUD repeater, since the display replaces the original HDD. The nav system in the original MiG-29 was rather bare-bones, though it was fine for what the Russians wanted it to do.

Edited by Dragon1-1

Having MFD datalink and navigation in it self would be amazing especially for the MIG-29 major set up from FC3 levels apart from the obvious full fidelity treatment. Having a moving map and a SA page by it self would add alot to the aircraft at least in my opinion since Nav and Sa pages are what i use the most in all of the modules that i use.

37 minutes ago, Ash Lynx said:

Having MFD datalink and navigation in it self would be amazing especially for the MIG-29 major set up from FC3 levels apart from the obvious full fidelity treatment. Having a moving map and a SA page by it self would add alot to the aircraft at least in my opinion since Nav and Sa pages are what i use the most in all of the modules that i use.

Of course these things improve the operational usefulness considerably and make the MiG-29 more adaptable to NATO doctrine and tactics - thats why they were implemented :) . But retaining the original WCS/radar and armament, its still just half the package and in no way makes the aircraft "on par" with the late Viper and Hornet versions of DCS. 

So I guess it depends on your preferences . Whether you prefer the same route for the MiG-29 as ED took with the Viper and Hornet - i.e. 80'ies "legacy" fighters upgraded with whatever new equipment they could (get the documentation on to) stuff in or prefer them in a configuration closer to their original design for historical scenarios.