Upcoming flight model adjustments

Diesel_Thunder

Surprised this hadn't been posted yet. :blink:

Can't wait to fly this in the next patch!

• Like 7

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Looks pretty cool, indeed. I just wonder if we would get some simulation of physical limitations to the virtual pilot to prevent abusing those technical possibilities beyond the limits of human beeings, because no one could stand high G loads forever and keep fighting under those circumstances...

• Like 2

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

1 minute ago, schmiefel said:

Looks pretty cool, indeed. I just wonder if we would get some simulation of physical limitations to the virtual pilot to prevent abusing those technical possibilities beyond the limits of human beeings, because no one could stand high G loads forever and keep fighting under those circumstances...

Well to be fair, the F-16 pilot should be able to handle more G's than usual due to the inclined seat and positive pressure oxygen mask.

3 hours ago, schmiefel said:

Am I missing something? G tolerance is modelled and you will black out. 

Looking good. Now my question is, do the stores have the correct drag or is it also fine tuned?! I mean, in this video he is using a slick viper and it would be counterproductive if we’ll get a fine tuned FM but the drag of any store on the jet is degrading this due it’s fault drag index. So, does anyone know from the past if the drag index for all weapons, tanks etc. have been correctly  modeled?

• Like 1

For me the question is - Is this realistic to the performance of a real F-16?   Even if it IS realistic, if it's so dramatically better than all other ED jets, it will ruin the game making it a one jet game.

And yes pulling 9gs for any amount of time will cause you to black out.  That's why if you let go of a real  F-16 stick (or throttle?) the plane will start to fly level after a certain amount of time.
At 5gs I start to get tunnel vision without a g-suit.

• Like 3

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

• karasawa changed the title to Good! FM update is around the corner and the viper is becoming a monster

It should be made realistic, regardless of how it influences people to fly one module over another. Eventually, the heatblur Eurofighter will out-rate the F-16.

It's also just a correction to the flight dynamics, it doesn't mean people will dominate with the jet in BFM. If you allow yourself to fall victim to a hornet or tomcat gameplan, the rate of the F-16 won't help you.

People will also pick aircraft they want to fly based on their overall capes, not just turn rate and G. Guys who want to fly attack, will fly A-10s, etc.

Anyway, I'm super stoked that we will be getting an F-16 that will feel like an F-16.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

4 hours ago, RentedAndDented said:

Am I missing something? G tolerance is modelled and you will black out. 

Yes. But that's it. Fighting under high G loads means that one gets exhausted - the more and longer, the faster. It can be trained to some extend, but ask real fighter pilots about some typical and constant behaviour and manoeuvres done in military flight simulations and they would just state, that this hurts. It's a bit like the abused possibilities to look much further back and that's even possible under high G loads. I mean: it's one thing to replicate the technical possibilities of a fighter aircraft. But if you want a real simulation shouldn't you try to simulate what's possible under real circumstances?

• Like 1

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

Didn’t ED always claim the sustained turn rates were already spot on, matching the data they used to model it?

Now given the first side by side comparison in the video it seems they further boosted STR significantly.

Certainly hope they re not catering to the complaining crowds, it seems to become a recurring scheme lately.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, ACME_WIdgets said:

For me the question is - Is this realistic to the performance of a real F-16?   Even if it IS realistic, if it's so dramatically better than all other ED jets, it will ruin the game making it a one jet game.

And yes pulling 9gs for any amount of time will cause you to black out.  That's why if you let go of a real  F-16 stick (or throttle?) the plane will start to fly level after a certain amount of time.
At 5gs I start to get tunnel vision without a g-suit.

It will only ruin the game if your sole focus is PvP and K/D ratios.  For everyone else who wants as realistic as possible an experience it will vastly improve the game.

• Like 8

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

9 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Certainly hope they re not catering to the complaining crowds, it seems to become a recurring scheme lately.

I don't think so.  It was as good as they could get it, and they found a way to make it better.  I really thought it was done, but now I'm as excited as a schoolboy for the new one!

9 minutes ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

amazing how people already start complaining before the changes are even live without getting hands on at all.

Oh, so it’s cool to hype sth before it’s released, but not make critical statements? Interesting.

If you have nothing to add, don’t bother writing.

• Like 1

So today we have an F16 that in certain conditions behaves like a Cessna.

Now they fixed it, it is not even out, so none of you have tested it in a multiplayer server, not vs AI, and there are already complaints about it being OP.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Blindman said:

So today we have an F16 that in certain conditions behaves like a Cessna.

Now they fixed it, it is not even out, so none of you have tested it in a multiplayer server, not vs AI, and there are already complaints about it being OP.

Kindly enlighten us, in which areas of the envelope it performs like a Cessna? Please provide the relevant Cessna flight performance links too , so we can check the accuracy of your statement.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Kindly enlighten us, in which areas of the envelope it performs like a Cessna? Please provide the relevant Cessna flight performance links too , so we can check the accuracy of your statement.

Or you know, you might aswell want to show us some data to your claim that it‘s gonna be wrong with the new FM… 😉 

especially the „catering to a complaining crowd that seems to be a scheme lately“ part.

Edited by _SteelFalcon_
  • Like 10

The "problem" with the G is the same as in any other DCS Aircraft. Blackout (and redout) are modelled, but where it starts to get difficult is, when you balance on the edge of blackout.

As far as I'm aware, you can do this (in any aircraft) as long as your kinetic energy lasts to sustain the Gs. Usually that's longer than a real personal could bear 9 Gs.

I have no clue, how long a trained pilot in a G-suit can bear 9 G, but I doubt that it is longer than 30-60 sec.

To simulate that, one would need a kind of timer for pilot fatigue.

But do we really want that? I'm not sure.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

20 minutes ago, Snappy said:

You know,

you don't need to take everything "literally". If you are convinced that the F16 is ok as it is now, go on and keep believing it.

But it is not, if you search the forum, it's plenty of posts from the moderators saying the flight model still needed some adjustments, especially on the G onset, and that's what they did.

Or, Kindly enlighten us, and show us data about the FM being spot on as it is now.

Edited by Blindman
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hiob said:

when you balance on the edge of blackout.

Don't play with the grey.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

7 minutes ago, Blindman said:

You know,

you don't need to take everything "literally". If you are convinced that the F16 is ok as it is now, go on and keep believing it.

But it is not, if you search the forum, it's plenty of posts from the moderators saying the flight model still needed some adjustments, especially on the G onset, and that's what they did.

Or, Kindly enlighten us, and show us data about the FM being spot on as it is now.

Already did , you just need to read. Also I never said the FM was complete or perfect.I was specifically talking only about STR and no, I can’t be bothered to dig out 9Line or BNs posts where they stated the FM matches the available data.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1