Shadow problem from LOMAC cropping up.

tn_prvteye

No, not the "Full Shadows" bug. I get the vertical, "dancing" lines on the distant landscape in Cockpit view. IIRC it's related to the Cloud shadows. I've tried all the different shadow settings...no go. I used to get this in LOMAC, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Anyone remember what the fix was?

Sys specs:

Core2Duo q6600@2.66

Nvidia 8800GTX 180.48 drivers

XP SP2

Oops...no haze option in BS. And I thought I found another fix...I'll have to check Lock On to see if Advanced Haze is on or not.

You have haze option in ...\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts\options.lua

But if you set haze 0, in night is imposible fly, graphics show incorrect in the night with haze disabled.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Hmmm, I know it says LOMAC in the title, but why did this get bumped to the LOMAC section? Anyway, it does look like you've got the same issue.

I'll try changing the options.lua file and see what happens. The thing is, I checked and I DO have advanced haze ON in LOMAC with no problems.

Actually I was surprised seeing this happen in BS again, considering the majority of players suffered from this since LockOn. :music_whistling:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Well I figured out why I no longer had the problem in LOMAC. I had installed TekaTeka's no cloud shadow mod. Since I don't know how to install that into BS, I looked at his files. It seems as if the mod just removed the alpha channel from one TGA file.

So I used ModMan on BS to extract the DDS and erased the alpha channel. Worked like a charm!

Although i haven't got a copy of DCS:BS yet, you could give the following attached file a tryout :)

It was created by Tekateka for LO:FC, it basically removes the shadows that the clouds cast on the ground, stopping the flickering altogther....BUT i'm not sure if it will work with BS at all, so try at own risk.

Well, I'm not good at giving instructions, but here goes:

1) Use ModMan's CDDS explorer to look at the "\[Ka-50 directory]\Bazar\Terrain\Surface\High\LandTexturesTGA.cdds" file.

2) Extract CLOUDSHADOW.TGA.dds

3) Use Martin Wright's DXTbmp.exe to open this file. I found this program while I was looking for FSX stuff. I'm not sure where I got it, but a Google search should bring it up.

4) Send the Alpha Channel to the editor (thid is done in DXTbmp.exe). My editor is an old version of PhotoShop. Not sure about how to do it with other programs. DO NOT close DXTbmp

5) Erase the Alpha Channel. I mean actually use the eraser tool and make sure there's nothing on the Alpha Channel.

6) Just click save. Not 'save as'

7) Go back to DXTbmp and "reload from editor". Then save.

8 )Insert the file you changed back into LandTexturesTGA.cdds...again using ModMan's Explorer.

I'm just remembering off the top of my head here. I'm at work, and can't check my instructions. I'm hoping someone here can give a better set of directions.

Edited by tn_prvteye

...8 )Insert the file you changed back into LandTexturesTGA.cdds...again using ModMan's Explorer.

I'm just remembering off the top of my head here. I'm at work, and can't check my instructions. I'm hoping someone here can give a better set of directions.

Hello, Could you please zip and attach the modded CLOUDSHADOW.TGA.dds file in a post here? Not good with Alpha channels and stuff but I can insert you modded file.

Thanks!!!

Hi prvteye. No there would be no legal issues here. There are many many mods that do similar things. In fact there is Teka Teka's mod, as was noted in this thread, that does the same thing for Lock On. If you have chance to share your file it would be greatly appreciated. Simply zip it up and add it as an attachment to your post in this thread.

THANKS!

• 6 months later...