Editable Unimproved Airfield

JABowders

I would like to see the inclusion of an Editable Unimproved Airfield into the mission editor. Players can add a various number of Unimproved Airfields into the operational area to meet the needs of some of the air operations. 

Just something simple that has a width, length, and direction editable resource. Allowing forward operating aircraft added functionality.  

It could be like the FARP, semi self-flattening.  

Thank you for consideration.

• Like 1

You could set the mobile TACAN unit near a street or flat area and use this as "airfield" for (emergency) landings. At least for clients/players.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried this, with mixed results (although I'm not sure if that has changed since 2.7, I only tried in 2.5). Many planes get stuck if you move their wheels off asphalt (and it depends on the ground that the road is build upon). So you may be lucky in a dust map, while your plane gets stuck in Caucasus. 

Here's to hoping that at some point we get some slabs or concrete blocks to build our own makeshift airfields in ME. 

Edited by cfrag

I use this Mod for temporary airfields… only limitation is that it requires a completely flat piece of terrain

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I never could use effectively the Marsden farp plates. Now that Suntsag is closer to ED I would hope to get a nice official object of the sort.

Roads are not an option since you stick a wheel on the grass and its game over.. 

Wee need some kind of compliment to the invisible farp object.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:31 PM, JABowders said:

I figure it could be like the MSFS edit to Flaten the area and give it a "Runway coding" with not only the options of direction, length, and width but also the look of it grass, dirt, PSP planking, or PAG-14 runway plates.

I think more than anything, your suggestion is what is most needed. I think they would probably have to make the necessary changes to both the mission editor and the maps as far as restricted areas are concerned. But adding this capability to DCS would make the addition of things like above ground fortifications and runways possible.

• Like 1

This is a much needed feature, especially for the single players. Maybe with an adjustable length, and default parking area. Jets like the A-10, JAS37, Mig-29, and especially the AV8B are all designed to be used from less improved airfields. I personally would love to be able to shorten the A-10's commute. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The huge complication of this is how to adapt it to the terrain height. You either need a completely flat area the size of the Runway (not feasible in detailed area in old maps and nowhere in modern maps), or you would need to to have a platform like the FARP models. I doubt you can have a static object "adapt or conform the height of the place you ar placing the object...

But Yes I cant stress this enough, a placeable custom runway would multiply by thousands the usability of any map, and give the mission maker a huge flexibility to design scenarios, and "create palces" not yet depicted in DCS.