Landing gear damage is great, but now too fragile?

DroptheHammer

Over the last few weeks, it seems the Jeff gear is now made of tissue paper.  We've got 3-4 pilots in the squad with 500+ hours in the JF17 who are pretty smooth sticks.  We've been landing over and over in situations with light loads , within the e-bracket in the center for speed & angle and sink rate of 100-300FPM descent rates at 1-3Deg angle.  Almost 50% of our landings end in broken gear struts.

I think this needs to be checked and tested in multiplayer. Maybe there's some sort of lag desync going on?  Also doesn't seem to matter if there's a crosswind component or not, we landed from 0 knots up to 30 kt crosswind and had the same breakage percentages around 40-50% of all landings.  Stores and fuel weight dont seem to matter either.  We're typically a multiplayer squad operating with 25-35 players per mission in mixed airframes.  It's gotten to the point where we just realize half our Jeff flight will need to replane at the end of every sortie.  Very different from the typical quick refuel/rearm we're able to execute with this amazing light fighter in prior patch-states.

Is any other squad having this issue?  I don't want to open a bug report if there's already a fix or a technique other than the obvious... fly the procedure and the e-bracket.

Regards,

DTH

Edited by DroptheHammer

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

I might get to test this later. I can't believe the gear is more fragile than it already was.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Something got messed up in the last patch that basically undid all of the FM tweaks for landing behavior.

The plane no longer holds the nose high on its own, there is an absurdly sharp pitch moment when you raise the gear after takeoff and it also has negative ground effect when low over the runway, kind of like the bug the F-18 had a while back.

I have yet to experience the landing breaking on me like you described, but I also have my grievances with it too, such as it being too bouncy when doing take off or landing rolls; it can make the nose pitch as high/low as +/-2°, which feels like something broke on the plane when it happens.

Reverse ground effect might be magnifying the fairly stable descent rate in the final moments.  Combined with lag it might be a contributing factor.  I also agree the plane feels stuck to the ground on takeoff compared to before.  

hopefully we get a pass on takeoff and landing characteristics as well as gear strength.  Obviously it shouldn’t take carrier landing styles like it used to… but it’s way too fragile now.  

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

It seems to be a pitch-down moment that appears out of nowhere (when ground effect becomes a factor). If you counter it, it doesn't affect the landing.

I tried breaking the gear and it seems as sensitive as before? I had to drop it in to break it. Even touching down with 2 degrees descent angle wasn't sufficient. I ended up bringing the speed back so the pitch was +10 and the aircraft started to drop onto the runway to finally bend the mains.

I haven't tried it at max gross yet.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

8 hours ago, Tiger-II said:

I had to drop it in to break it.

I've been flying this aircraft for over 600 hours at this point - recently, about half the time, the rear landing gear gets bent upon landing. It doesn't seem to matter how gently I land it, I pay attention to the sink rate, bracket, speed, aoa, and it still bends the gear about half the time. It's fine, I can go back to spectator and select the vehicle, but I've watched hammer stream, he lands it smoothly as butter.

So far, the new patch it seems to be pretty reliable. However we haven't seen what happens on mission night with 40-60 players. Will provide an update later in the week.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yes it was on open beta, tried it in single player mode also same result. IDK never had this problem before it was easier to land before. It's been couple of months half of the landings are result in broken gear have to hop it out of the runway. 

22 hours ago, jonny415 said:

Yes it was on open beta, tried it in single player mode also same result. IDK never had this problem before it was easier to land before. It's been couple of months half of the landings are result in broken gear have to hop it out of the runway. 

You say -100-400 FPM, but when HUD says -2 or -4 it means -200 and -400 FPM descent. Your landing it with -2-4 descent rate on the HUD? You can’t land it like F-18; you have to flare 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Napillo said:

I try to get my descent rate to -2 or 0 right as i touch down, that usually protects my gears. It does take some practice, but it's definitely worth it if you don't have to waste time for a repair.

Yup, it’s so easy to land like butter

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg