Setting the Hind up with the HOTAS Warthog

Hey guys, 

Do you have any suggestions for setting the HOTAS Warthog up with the Hind? The default controls (beyond the basics) don't work at all, the main issue I'm running into is with the collective/throttle, I can't seem to keep the bird in the air, as the throttle/collective settings don't seem to work correctly, If I start out flying I can kind of get it to hover but if I increase the throttle at all it seems to overspeed the engine and the blades go flying off and I end up crashing to the ground, which is the same issue I have when trying to fly the Huey. Prior to it breaking I used to have a Force Feedback 2 which had a single tab for the throttle and that seemingly worked well with the Huey but since upgrading to the HOTAS Warthog I can't seem to get it to work well with either the Huey or the Hind, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. 

Throttle must be set to be at max and you don't use it at all in flight. Then you just change the blade pitch with the collective. It's not a rocket science. I personally don't even have assigned throttle on any axis on my Warthog as I just use PgUp and PgDwn for it.

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

16 hours ago, admiki said:

What SmukY said. It seems you are a bit confused how turbine (and most piston) helicopters work. You need collective bound, nothing else.

I'll freely admit, helicopters aren't really something I'm super knowledgeable about, I have an elementary understanding of how the collective works and other basic systems but that's about it, but Its something I'm trying to get into. While I apologize for the clearly stupid question, I nevertheless appreciate the input. 

No question is stupid, if you don't know something or you aren't sure and can't find information you are looking for (or aren't even sure how to find it), you can always ask. With some exceptions ED forums has quite a helpful community.

So yeah you have to twist the throttle to the max after startup and leave it there since you need constant RPM output and maintain same RPM for rotor. Also don't pull collective too hard, since it can slow down the RPM and you can fall like a brick. First indicator of this is the electrical systems failing down until you get RPM high enough back so all the electrical systems get the power back on, but f.e. you'll have to turn them on again (autopilot channels).

Edited by SmukY
  • Like 1

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, derbarbarian said:

I'll freely admit, helicopters aren't really something I'm super knowledgeable about, I have an elementary understanding of how the collective works and other basic systems but that's about it, but Its something I'm trying to get into. While I apologize for the clearly stupid question, I nevertheless appreciate the input. 

Sorry if I came out that way, I never meant to say your question is stupid. 

If I may suggest, try asking how to set things up before you do it on your own. We like to help new people (me included) and it will save you a lot of time and frustration.

I just use the little slider to the right of the Warthog throttle as a throttle in helicopters. As others have said once started just leave it at max. I find the Warthog throttle is surprisingly good as a collective and is very precise.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I wonder if the OP has throttle and collective mapped to the 2 WH throttle levers? That’s the default setup for the Huey and if you operate the 2 levers together understandably nothing happens apart from a master caution alarm. I agree the WH throttle works OK as a collective.