TM Cougar MFDs usable?

What do you think? I’ve recently bought a set (I like pressing buttons, which is handy as the Hornet is my primary ride).

But as I’m sure everyone has noticed those rascals who designed the AH64 snuck an extra button on each row! what’s a chairforce pilot to do? Did they not think of us when designing the real world flying machine?! Very inconsiderate if you ask me. 🧐

Anyway, back in the real world, has anybody got any ideas or are they just not gonna work in the AH64? Also is having an Xbox pad on hand for the front seat a thing? 

I still haven’t pre ordered it, for various reasons none of which have to do with EA in general. To give just a few: I don’t have much time at the mo, Elden Ring is mighty tempting, I want to see some user reviews first and also at full price these modules are a bargain imho.

That being said I am finding it harder each day to resist pressing the preorder button, it’s very cool when you finish downloading an update and there’s a sparkly new aircraft in the hanger. But it’ll gather dust for at least three months.

What should I do!

This is essentially how my enteral dialog has been going since about September last year, maybe I should just get it so the voices in my head will be quite.

OPPOTATO has created a nice profile for using the Cougars. Myself I’ve adapted this a bit and think it’ll be very usable.

Z390 MB | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB m.2 NVME | 1TB SATA SSD | AsRock 6900XT | PowerMac G5 Case Mod | HP Reverb G2 | AKG K500 | TM Warthog | Virpil TCS Rotor Base w/ Constellation Alpha | Virpil MongoosT CM2 base w/ MongooseT grip (soon) | MFG Crosswind pedals | 3x TM Cougar MFDs

Brilliant, thanks. 

The shift modifier was my first thought, though I may confuse myself a bit. Also was hoping maybe one button on each row isn’t used much. Though it’s unlikely that, say OSB 4, is not used. I’d expect it to vary depending on which “page” you have displayed. My final idea was using the contrast and brightness buttons but I think that still leaves me short one button (?).

Anyway it seems there are workarounds, so hooray and thank you 🙂

9 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

I just use the corner buttons (bright, cont...) as the sixth button. 

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too, though I still think it leaves us a button short. I’ll have to count the buttons tonight, rock’n’roll lifestyle! 😉

I'll use the corner buttons for the sixth button plus the favourites button too. And additionally shift modifiers on the corner buttons. This way I'll have direct access to the 3 FABs I'll probably use more often (WPN, FCR, TSD), the other 3 will be shifted. BRT, VID etc. will also be shifted on the corners. Should work just fine.

Z390 MB | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB m.2 NVME | 1TB SATA SSD | AsRock 6900XT | PowerMac G5 Case Mod | HP Reverb G2 | AKG K500 | TM Warthog | Virpil TCS Rotor Base w/ Constellation Alpha | Virpil MongoosT CM2 base w/ MongooseT grip (soon) | MFG Crosswind pedals | 3x TM Cougar MFDs

I'll just use a modifier button - I already use 2 - on the 5th for the 6th button.  

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Here is my concept version 1.00 for adapting the 5 button MFD.  Should mount around the frame and just slide the tab into the top slot (credit to Pellelil).  Once I've played the sim for a bit I'll probably fiddle with the labels. 

Updated the version.

Apache 5 Btn MFD Template.png

Edited by Sarge55
Update Version
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I will definitely program myself ;), additionally I print engraved plates (plastic), here is an example for the M2000, MiG-21bis and MiG-15 as examples:

u1Wny41l.jpg

G7PK6TOm.gifoCnFhrGm.jpg

I'll the same for AH-64D.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro