Idea: Thrustmaster warthog configuration for the AH64

While still not having access to the AH64, hence not knowing 100% what is possible to setup, as inspiration here is what I have been thinking about to setup. So perhaps this setup can serve as an inspiration for you, or feel free to comment if you have any ideas of improving this setup. I am sure that once the AH64 releases I will move things around as I start to realize which functions are used more than others.

In the real bird you both have cyclic/collective and TEDAC left/right-hand grips in the front, so with only a (Warthog) throttle and stick I rely on using the paddle shift on the throttle as a shift. Even though ED have made 2 different configuration (one for Pilot and one for CPG) I have tried to setup the controls to be similar (e.g. those functions/knobs that are available to both Pilot and CPG are bound to the same knobs). I've managed to map up most of the controls on the cyclic, collective and TEDAC grips, but there are a few omitted (which I don't think I will need): "RTS/ICS PTT", "FMC Release", "Emergency Jettison", "Chop button", "Search light", "Missile Advance".

Also I have a pair of Thrustmaster MFDs, hence their function is not mirrored here, and I use one of the 2-way rocker switches on one of the PFDs to Freeze/Reset my Track-IR (TIR). I do however have bound knobs to zoom-in/out and to display and scroll through the kneeboard pages. If you don't have TIR or something similar I am sure you will have to work out which knobs you can use to slew your view around 🙂

I fly solo most of the times, so I have not left room for PTT, nor have I mapped the "RTS/ICS PTT" switch. As of now I have put the stabilator ND/NU/Depress on the base of the throttle. I had preferred them to be on the throttle/joystick-grip for easy reach, however I did not find room for them, so they were placed here in stead. Time will tell how convenient it is. Initially I don't plan to let the CPG being able to fly the bird, so I have though I would use the Joystick to slew the TADS view for the CPG. Alternative I could use the shifted axis-hat on the throttle (unshifted I use it to control the cursor on the MPDs).

Anyway here is the current version of my template, hope it can offer some inspiration. Text in black is the knobs without shift, and text in blue are the knobs with shift (the paddle-switch on the stick).

AH64-PIlot-Stick.pngAH64-Pilot-Throttle.png

• Like 2

Pelle Liljendal

(MooseMan)

Looks good! One thought: I guess you'll need to use the "Trim: release" button a LOT (like: every time you touch the cyclic). Have you considered putting the Trim release in a more comfortable (=easier to reach) position? I'd probably use the DMS or CMS switch for the AP/Trim functions.

As the physical trim button is only used for 4 of its 8 direction, the functions put in the TMS, DMS and and Trim can be swapped as you please. While some of the other 4-way hats might be easier to reach I think I will stick with the Trim, simply because I am used to my trim-functions being placed in that hat (I do realize its not a "normal 4-way trim", but anyway). But perhaps I will change it going forward. At this point nothing it set in stone, and I am sure things are going to swap around as I find out which functions I need more than others 🙂

EDIT: From an ergonomic point of view, I should probably move the George-functions to the Trim-hat, move the WAS-function to the DMS-hat, and then put the Trim-functions on the TMS.

Edited by pellelil

Pelle Liljendal

(MooseMan)

pellelil

It is going to take me some time to digest your profile and integrate it with my Helios profile.    However, I like the diagram of the HOTAS and would like to get a copy of the diagram without the keys labeled.  Did you make this yourself or is it on the net?  Thanks.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

@sobe these are made from my own SVG-templates, originally made with InkScape. I have since moved on to Affinity Designer, hence that was used to make these particular ones for the AH64. I have just uploaded my (blank) SVG-templates to the user section, and they currently await a moderator to release them. These SVGs are made as multilayered files where you can lock/unlock and make layers visible/invisible.

@cow_art I had to let it sink in, but eventually I took your advice (thanks). I moved the Trim/AP functions to the TMS-hat, so they are more easy to reach.

Flying mostly solo, I think I end-up interacting more with George (especially if in the front seat) than using the WAS-switch or sight-select, hence I decided to moved the George-AI functions to the DMS-hat and in the process also moved the two George-AI functions I had put on the CMS (shifted-left/right). So now ALL George-functions are on the DMS-Hat, and I used the 2 remaining shifted-positions (up/down) on the DMS to swap seats (Pilot/CPG), and "I have controls" - its officially called something else 😉 The WAS-functions and Sight-select (shifted) were moved to the TRIM-hat. I then decided to move the LRFD 1st/2nd detent to the NSB-button (at the root of the stick), which freed up the "Weapon Release Button" where I put "IAT: auto/manual" and "OFP: Ret TADS LOT".

AH64-PIlot-Stick.png

Pelle Liljendal

(MooseMan)

On 3/15/2022 at 8:58 PM, pellelil said:

@sobe these are made from my own SVG-templates, originally made with InkScape. I have since moved on to Affinity Designer, hence that was used to make these particular ones for the AH64. I have just uploaded my (blank) SVG-templates to the user section, and they currently await a moderator to release them. These SVGs are made as multilayered files where you can lock/unlock and make layers visible/invisible.

@cow_art I had to let it sink in, but eventually I took your advice (thanks). I moved the Trim/AP functions to the TMS-hat, so they are more easy to reach.

Flying mostly solo, I think I end-up interacting more with George (especially if in the front seat) than using the WAS-switch or sight-select, hence I decided to moved the George-AI functions to the DMS-hat and in the process also moved the two George-AI functions I had put on the CMS (shifted-left/right). So now ALL George-functions are on the DMS-Hat, and I used the 2 remaining shifted-positions (up/down) on the DMS to swap seats (Pilot/CPG), and "I have controls" - its officially called something else 😉 The WAS-functions and Sight-select (shifted) were moved to the TRIM-hat. I then decided to move the LRFD 1st/2nd detent to the NSB-button (at the root of the stick), which freed up the "Weapon Release Button" where I put "IAT: auto/manual" and "OFP: Ret TADS LOT".

AH64-PIlot-Stick.png

Do you have the throttle quadrant photo as well please?

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12

is there a secret to getting the pinky lever to map in game? Thx!! - --- nvm it was mechanical - pinky lever switch was stuck behind lever and needed cleaning - lol

posted here in case other find useful lol

Edited by pedrodatguy

Those template were made with the (free) program InkScape. In the adobe suite I would guess that Illustrator would be able to open/import SVG files. Otherwise I would guess that InkScape would be able to save/export it to a format that could be open/imported into Illustrator !?

Pelle Liljendal

(MooseMan)

1 hour ago, pellelil said:

Those template were made with the (free) program InkScape. In the adobe suite I would guess that Illustrator would be able to open/import SVG files. Otherwise I would guess that InkScape would be able to save/export it to a format that could be open/imported into Illustrator !?

I can open and edit them in illustrator. I am trying to figure out what layer to edit, so i can add my text.

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

The files are multi-layered and your text should be added to the top-layer which for both the stick and throttle is called "Labels". It seams I left it locked by default for the throttle, so here you need to unlock it before being able to add/edit text, however it is unlocked for the stick.

• Thanks 1

Pelle Liljendal

(MooseMan)

On 3/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, yeldraw1 said:

WHERE ARE THE KEY BINDINGS IN THE PILOT SECTION FOR CP/G LRFD?  I SEE THEM FOR THE CP/G SECTION.  THANKS

Don't know but your CAP LOCK is the 3rd row from the bottom on the far left. Turn it off. 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 1:43 PM, jnr4817 said:

How do I modify these?

I own the adobe suite of products, but use is very limited?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321306/

The creator of this profile has included a WORD file that you can easily use. Delete all text or just some of it. Great layout! LibreOffice if you dont have MSWord.

Edited by Topcat357