Mi-24 Troop Deployment

IcedVenom

Hello, I was just wondering if any news has been seen regarding Russian or Ukrainian troop deployment via an Mi-24. I know they are definitely using Mi-8's for deployment but are they also using Mi-24's for their original purpose of being an armored assault helicopter that carries and deploys troops behind enemy lines? I understand they are not used in that purpose nearly as much as Mi-8 but I am just hoping any of you know of any instances where they are in fact used in that manner during the most recent conflict. Thank you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Mi-24 lacked sufficient power to carry both weapons and troops at a usable range... so the original concept never worked out.

I'm sure they would've been used for emergency redeployment at some points (e.g. moving troops from one location to another behind the lines), and the passenger compartment definitely is more comfortable for retrieving downed aviators compared to asking them to hang on to the stub wing of an Apache (true story apparently). But the Russian SMEs were pretty clear that the passenger compartment is essentially never used.

That said, I do hope we get the option to use it... if we carry no or minimal weapons it could make for some interesting emergency transport missions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1