What Helicopter Module do you wanna see next?

Tank50us

Which Helicopter would you buy?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Which Helicopter would you be most interested in buying?

• AH-1 Cobra Family
    • RAH-66 Comanche
    • MD500 Family
    • CH-47 Chinook
    • UH-72 Lakota
  2. 2. Which role(s) most interests you?

• Utility
    • Direct Attack
    • MedEvac and Humanitarian
    • Troop Transport
    • Recon
    • Cargo Transport
    • Ground Suppression (think the one scene in Black Hawk Down with the Little Birds)

So, one of my squadron mates and I have been talking about throwing together a module for a few weeks now, and since the AH-64 is just around the corner yey! I figured I'd do a totally scientific method of deciding what best to go with: A poll.

You can choose from the following:

• AH1 Cobra family
    Bell AH-1 Cobra (Attack) - Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum
    An Ah1 Cobra Gunship Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock
    Bell AH-1 SuperCobra - Price, Specs, Photo Gallery, History - Aero Corner
  • RAH-66 Comanche (for those that don't know, many of the Comanches systems were carried over into the Longbow, so only its stealth is truly classified at this point)
    RAH-66 Comanche Helicopter: Amazing to Look At (But a Massive Failure) |  The National Interest
  • MD500 Family (which includes the AH-6 Little Bird)
    Finnish Army Gives MD500 Fleet Cockpit Upgrades - Aviation Today
    Hughes OH-6 Cayuse Light Observation Helicopter | Military-Today.com
    U.S. Special Operations Command pursuing 'limited competition' for MH-6  Little Bird upgrade
  • CH-47 Chinook
    Heavy Delivery" Dutch CH-47 Chinooks Sling Load Training - YouTube
  • or the UH-72 Lakota
    UH-72A Lakota | Military.com

The reason for these selections is that many of them (with exception to exactly one), are used all over the globe by various military, and in some cases civil forces. They're so common, that there really isn't many places these helicopters haven't turned up in some capacity. Heck, you'd be hard-pressed to find a conflict zone in the last 50-60 years that a couple of the examples here haven't turned up in in some capacity.

Our goal, if this works out, would be to deliver a helicopter that people want to fly, and even make whatever choice that is enjoyable for the player base.

All of the examples would be capable of taking a range of weapons from miniguns, to grenade launchers, to rockets, to Hellfires. You won't be flying without the ability to defend yourself. The ones capable of troop and cargo transport would likely come with some crates to haul around as part of the armament screen, and all of them will be capable of operating from ships.

So help us out, help this fledgling team decide which of these machines will get the full representation in DCS. And if you want to help with actually making it... PM me.

• Like 1

Call me weird, but I'd love an armed Mi-2, out of curiosity if nothing else. Apart from that bit of novelty, the unannounced helo I'm looking forward to most is AH-1F or AH-1W, a mid to late 80s, or early-ish 90s one to be specific.

Otherwise, I'd enjoy any littlebird, maybe a heavier blufor transport/utility kinda helo, like a Super Frelon, or even a Sea King derivative.

I'd really love Mi-28N, Ka-52, WZ-10 or 19 etc as well, but they're reeeeeaaaally unlikely to happen, so, eh... 😛

• Like 4

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Out of that lot I'd say either a Cobra F or W, or Ch-47.

I'd love the little bird, but the infantry fidelity needs to go way, way up before it can really be done justice. But it would be amazing once we get there.

To be honest though, I'd much rather see a Lynx, Whirlwind (H-19/S-55 or turbine powered British models), Wessex (British Turbines or H-34/S-58), Westland Sea King, Alouette II, Puma, Scout/Wasp etc, or failing that, some of the Soviet stuff. All of those airframes had plenty of users all over the world. 

Bell-47 or H-13 would be amazing. A new era for helicopters in DCS, an airframe that was used all over the world. 

I'd also like to see a facelift of the Huey, and possibly the inclusion of the B/C/E style airframe, which I think would be reasonably easy considering the flight dynamics wouldn't change too much, but we'd have the proper US style gunships, and the correct model for many UH-1 users that never ended up buying the H model, and many early users who got them before eventually buying the H model.

Of course Twin-hueys, particularly the UH-1N or bell 212 or 412 model would be very welcome, but would be whole new module. Still though... beats a UH-72 in my book 😉

Edited by Grievo
  • Like 1

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

In today's Air Combat Sim podcast, Wags did confirm there was another helicopter module "in the pipeline", so I suppose we can legitimately speculate about it 😄 (even if it probably hasn't started production yet)

Personally, I'd love a transport - especially the Chinook. It would serve for a lot of nations and give us a great capability for actual players to have a role in logistical/troop insertion side of the dynamic campaign, rather than relying on AI.

But my gut feeling is an early Cobra.

As for the Comanche? Come on guys... The day ED start developing experimental aircraft that never went into production or service will be a sad day. They might as well do a Ho-229 for the WWII side.

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

44 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

As for the Comanche? Come on guys... The day ED start developing experimental aircraft that never went into production or service will be a sad day. They might as well do a Ho-229 for the WWII side.

Actually the Su25T we have in DCS is an experimental aircraft, and only 8 or so were built before the project was canned. The KA-50-2 we're getting is also a fictional variant of the KA-50, so having the Comanche, a helicopter that not only existed, but who's tech went into the Longbow, wouldn't be that much of a stretch. After all, the only thing that's truly classified is the stuff to do with the stealth. Everything else is public knowledge by this point. However if it were up to me, it'd likely see some variation of the design to account for lessons learned after entering production, but that remains to be seen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tank50us said:

Actually the Su25T we have in DCS is an experimental aircraft

There is a huge difference still. Su-25T and Ka-50 were experimental or even more like pre-series aircraft, and were actually used in operational trials in active combat over Chechenia as far as I remember. RAH-66 was only at the prototype stage of a project that was being designed/tried/tested, and was't "set in stone" even as much as Ka-50 (all of which were difference between themselves) or Su-25T.

Comanche Gold of mid-late  90s was my first helo game on PC, and spent many loving hours in it but I don't see Comanche being a thing for DCS. We often say "the information needed to model [put random module here] is not accessible", in Comanche's case it probably does not even exist, as it was being tested/evolving/not even installed on prototypes when the project was canned.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

2 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Actually the Su25T we have in DCS is an experimental aircraft

I really don't think there's a comparison between an experimental version of a mass-produced, decades-old aircraft, and one that never made it past trials and only had two produced.

Whether it's public knowledge or not, it would be entirely out of place in DCS. Just my opinion. Anyway, it's a moot point as it isn't going to happen.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

2 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

Anyway, it's a moot point as it isn't going to happen.

A third party could theoretically do whatever they want, assuming they can make the model as accurately as possible to what it could've been had the politics of the time not interfered with it.

• Like 1

HH-60 / MH-60.

Given the enormous positive feedback of the UH-60 Mod it would be rewarding for ED or a 3rd party to offer an official module.

Endless options for missions: Troop transport, cargo transport, aerial refueling, Special Forces insertion / extraction, CSAR, MEDEVAC... Maybe even fast rope and winch operations if they develop this.

• Like 3

Modules: MI-8, KA-50, Huey, AJS-37 Viggen, F-16, AH-64D, (OH-58D 😬)

Wishlist: MH-60 Blackhawk, Afghanistan Map

Gear: Virpil Collective with UH-60 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick, 15 cm Extension (Sahaj), TM TPR Pedals

Missing a few options on the survey IMO.

Blackhawk should definitely be on there. This I would love to see. I know there's a mod - but I would buy an official module, complete with side gunners, hellfire's, CTLD options, etc. 

Would love to see the Kiowa too. 😉

While technically not a helicopter - Osprey would be a real cool addition to DCS giving a whole new experience that we currently don't have.

If I had to choose only from the list provided - Chinook would be next. We have attack helicopters and with the AH64's release imminent - I'd prefer now to have something that adds to the variety - but honestly - I think the survey needs additional birds.

As for the argument about experimental aircraft - isn't the KA50 an experimental aircraft?

Edited by Dangerzone

UH-60L or HH-60L.

The Mi-24P has a utility/transport counterpart with the Mi-8MTV-2, the same isn't said for the AH-64D, where a UH-60L would fit perfectly.

Conversely, the UH-1H is lacking an attack counterpart, an AH-1G/F would fit it perfectly (though that era is poorly fleshed out in DCS).

Past that, there probably isn't a very long list of helicopters I'm not interested in, compared to the ones that I am. The issue though is some of said helicopters are missing core functionality to really be worth it IMO. Things like the naval environment for many naval helicopters (in particular the SH-2F, SH-3H, Sea King HU.5, SH-60B/F, Lynx) and the lack of rescue hoist/winch and fastrope capability for others (Wessex HU.5, Sea King HC.4 and HAR.5, plus plenty of others).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I would perefer UH-60 or AH-1 but not the ancient models "circa something" 

special-forces-mh60-blackhawk-helicopter

thumb2-bell-ah-1-super-cobra-american-at

• Like 4

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Which helicopter do I want to see next?  Kiowa!!!

After that I think Chinook or some form of Blackhawk/Seahawk would be most versatile as a modern BLUEFOR lifter for the dynamic campaign.

Pure wish list would be an Osprey.  That's a helicopter, right?

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Just to clarify something guys, the reason that the UH60, Tiger, Kiowa, and a couple others aren't on this list is because either A: they're being developed right now (or are on the road to full development), or B: there's not even remotely enough information to even attempt the project.

The projects chosen are ones that I feel I, and even a small team, could get the license to, or at the very least, could get enough information on to take a shot at. As things currently stand, Bell and Boeing are more likely to issue a license for a DCS product, and Eurocopter America may issue the license for the Lakota (and it's non-military variations). But the reason these choppers were chosen is because they're probably the best candidates for a 3rd party to handle. And since I used to live near where the CH47 was produced, and knew people involved with the Comanche, I figure they may be worth the shot.... also the Comanche kinda has a cool theme thanks to EA Games....

Now, what would you get if any of these were made by me and a team?

• AH-1: You'd get the G, F, and W versions, which covers most of the AH-1s service life
  • RAH-66: You'd get a "Serviceable" Comanche, as in, a version that went through a slight revision to be more accommodating for actual service needs, and a few other minor cosmetic changes to the visual design. Examples include:
    • removal of the T-Tail, and the repositioning of the Stablator to a position more suitable for ground crews
    • additional protection for the engines from shrapnel (the engine bulges would be slightly bigger than they are on the prototypes)
    • optional FCR (the same radar as on the Longbow, as this is what the project was tested on)
    • 20mm cannon, Laser and Radar Hellfires, Stingers, and even Sidearm/Sidewinder capacity
  • CH-47: You'd get a single version, likely the up-engined version currently in use, but also some new cargos (and units to go with it), as well as a new 'fire base' system. The CH47 would also get up to three weapon stations which can mount either an M134, M240, M2HB, or MK19
  • MD500: You'd get a bunch of military and civil variations. The civil version would come with a bunch of liveries for VIP, Police, Fire Fighting, and others, while the military variations would come with a host of weapons currently deployed on the family. Including the following:
    • M134 Miniguns
    • Hydra 70 Rocket pods
    • BGM-71 TOW
    • AGM-114 Hellfire
    • 50BMG gun pods
    • AT-3 Sagger (no, really, North Korea managed to jury rig this thing onto MD500s)
  • UH-72: Like the MD500, you'd get some military and civil variations. The Military versions would come with optional weapons hard points, and even an optional sensor mast similar to the Kiowa (which the program was originally intended to replace).

Ultimately, if this happens, whichever helicopter comes down the pipe, I think you lot will enjoy it. But these are also the helos I'm excited to make, but if I had to pick one... I'd be most excited for the Comanche... because only thing that kept it from going into service was the Soviet Unions wallet suffering its critical existence failure.

18 hours ago, Hawk 09 said:

HH-60 / MH-60.

Given the enormous positive feedback of the UH-60 Mod it would be rewarding for ED or a 3rd party to offer an official module.

Endless options for missions: Troop transport, cargo transport, aerial refueling, Special Forces insertion / extraction, CSAR, MEDEVAC... Maybe even fast rope and winch operations if they develop this.

As much as I want a cobra personally, this is really what's needed to round out the blue side. The Huey is great but it's just too slow compared to the others.

The blue side needs a decent lift helicopter badly.  UH-60, CH-47, or even the Sea King would be of great help.

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/