Questions about tgp on moving targets and Jtac info

oznckr

I was practicing on moving targets lately after liberation campaign I realized its quite hard to hit ground tragets if you don't have pre planned waypoint over it.

My 1. question is JTAC gives information and I put it as waypoint. However JTAC info doesnt contains elevation so what am I missing?  Should I left it 0?

2. question is after I find moving target with tgp, I lock it on Auto mode and it follows the target which is awesome. But Hud square is not moving with target so is there any way to make hud follow the target as tgp follows it or what is the good way to find and follow moving targets and then shoot them with maverics? I did some experiment and it feels very hard to make maveric lock on target and hud Square doesnt follow moving target so in night mission its really hard to know where is the target while I see it on tgp but my hud square is not over it. 

Little video to demonstrate my problem; 

DCS 2022-03-15 17-56-19.png

1. You should find out the elevation and put it there. I don't know if there is terrain database in real F-16 to draw from, not in DCS for sure. There is always F10 map.

2. A sort of bug or just limitation of EO VIS. For TD box to track TGP best to use EO PRE submode instead. If EO VIS can have TGP "take over" TD box and move it around after being placed by HUD/HMCS is an interesting avionics question. I think so.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mike5560 said:

1. This is a non-standard targeting format; if this is the Raqqa mission, I'm familiar. Normally the JTAC will pass a 9-line  and elevation is line 4.

I'm not sure what you mean by Raqqa mision. This is liberation campaign mission. I personally dont know how to set up JTAC in mission editor but Lib. Camp. does set it. Maybe there is some error no idea. Never used jtac to hit anything yet. My maveric problem is keep going. I go pre mode on maveric (green one probably D version) tgp auto mode and tms up on target maveric says handoff something and never locks. Going wpn page and tms down and back to tgp and tms up again still it does not lock the target I wanted. I can lock via wpn page but most of the time its not tgp target but another random target that maveric can lock. If everyone ok with maverics but I have this problem its fine,  I will learn what I do wrong, but I did try many things to make it work even in half range of maveric handoff is not possible for me or lock on to another target.

Edited by oznckr

Gotta calibrate your missile to your TGP for auto handoff to have a chance. Then on use make sure to have NFOV on the missile. Even then the TGP will track much farther away than the missile. Don't expect more than 5nm on average missile vs point target.

I mean I get very close to target before I try handoff still failure. What is NFOV? Tgp auto and wpn is pre mode, what can i do to calibrate it?

Edit: Alright I found out this video. Gonna check this out, thanks.

Edited by oznckr

4 hours ago, oznckr said:

I mean I get very close to target before I try handoff still failure.

And if you're too close (unless you're diving toward the target) realize that the field of view of the MAV seeker head is a lot smaller than the TGP, so it may not be able to look down far enough to see the target before hitting gimbal limits.

The problem with moving targets atm is that the SPI (sensor point of interest) does not update with TGP point track, it will stay on the spot where point track is first initiated, that in turn creates problems with Mav since missile will look at the SPI, which doesn't move, rather than follow where TGP is looking, at those moving vehicles.

So you have to "update" the SPI manually, to do that you can simply TMS UP again on TGP so it reacquires the lock on the moving target, or just a move a tiny bit and it will update the SPI. That will make life a little bit easier with Maverick. Or move TGP seeker a little bit ahead and TMS UP.

That issue is reported and the team is working on it.

Edited by Furiz
  • Like 1

1. Thats a script which doesn't show elevation, it should tell you for precision.

2. What I usually do to attack convoys is use GMT in FCR (its a cheat right now), TGP follows radar, when I'm close and see the target I just use TGP and forget about FCR. Sometimes I make a mark just in case I lose the position.

Mavericks on PRE and boresighted follow the TGP and I use manual since auto takes forever to lock, just lock and fire.

If you want the box in the hud to update change point to area.

Edited by Ignition

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 9:54 AM, Ignition said:

1. Thats a script which doesn't show elevation, it should tell you for precision.

2. What I usually do to attack convoys is use GMT in FCR (its a cheat right now), TGP follows radar, when I'm close and see the target I just use TGP and forget about FCR. Sometimes I make a mark just in case I lose the position.

Mavericks on PRE and boresighted follow the TGP and I use manual since auto takes forever to lock, just lock and fire.

If you want the box in the hud to update change point to area.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1447511090?t=00h19m38s Maverics working now. Thats what I do exactly. You can see it is easy to launch maverics after calibration. Thanks for help guys.