Opening day activities

davidrbarnette

Anyone have a plan for the first day of flying? Mine:

- Execute the cold start procedure a few times. 

- Learn and understand the symbology on the HDU / IHADDS; do some basic practice navigating the MFDs.

- Get comfortable with day taxiing, takeoff, landing, hovering, all the basic phases of flight. 

- Depending on how that goes, maybe do some night flying as well. 

- Maybe spend 5 minutes firing off the gun & rockets if I'm feeling ambitious.

(shamless bump) test my convoy attack missions to see if they work and send out the update while I enjoy myself.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Everything needed for a simple mission. So cold start, flight, and spamming hellfires/rockets/gun. Navigation, datalink and other support systems will wait till later. I expect the flying bit not to be any different from the other choppers, so that should be fairly straight forwards. I'll probably skip the AP systems as those just complicate things early on.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

I will likely spend all of first day learning cold start procedure.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 minutes ago, dburne said:

I will likely spend all of first day learning cold start procedure.

Cold start seems like it'll be super simple; basically battery, APU, align the doppler, configure fuel flow, start engine 1, advance to idle, star engine 2, advance to idle, boresight hmd, move throttles to flight once the oil is ready. Am i missing anything?

• Like 3

Cold Start up procedure, roll and air taxi, and just getting use to how it feels in flight.

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Cold start, taking off, crashing. 😅

• Like 1

Z390 MB | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB m.2 NVME | 1TB SATA SSD | AsRock 6900XT | PowerMac G5 Case Mod | HP Reverb G2 | AKG K500 | TM Warthog | Virpil TCS Rotor Base w/ Constellation Alpha | Virpil MongoosT CM2 base w/ MongooseT grip (soon) | MFG Crosswind pedals | 3x TM Cougar MFDs

1. Say a prayer to my GTX1070 with Reverb G2.

2. Start the free flight mission in Caucasus map.

3. If the framerate tanks, then close DCS and wait for Vulkan with further hopes.

• Like 7
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

2 hours ago, BeastyBaiter said:

Everything needed for a simple mission. So cold start, flight, and spamming hellfires/rockets/gun. Navigation, datalink and other support systems will wait till later. I expect the flying bit not to be any different from the other choppers, so that should be fairly straight forwards. I'll probably skip the AP systems as those just complicate things early on.

Taken into consideration!

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Sip coffee while setting up controls, and learning to fly and basic systems stuff.  Enjoy the Hoggit Training Server, or other servers, that are gonna have a billion people learning, and some failing, at helicopters.  It's gonna be wild, and fun. Let's Gooooooo

• Like 3

First, improve my English enough to understand the manual;

Then, trying to understand all the specific procedures;

Try out the procedures;

Crash;

Opening Youtube and searching for the tutorial;

Improve my English more to understand the tutorial;

Figure out how to find the answer to my unnumerous questions;

Thinking I understood enough;

Trying again;

Crash again and f...k..g around again and again;

Crying in anger asking myself why I bought and wanted so hard that module;

Try again thinking why not;

Crash;

Return to step one...

Edited by DN308
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, SwiftHatchet said:

Like any well trained child, I will enter the aircraft, put the HMD on (VR locally), and with a slightly disturbing grin on my face, start flipping, mashing, and switching things ... until enough things are making noises and moving, to attempt flight. 😅

Hey - this was exactly my plan too. Let’s do a multiplayer session and flip and mash and switch things in both cockpits at the same time! Perhaps we should also play some heavy metal as background music and accompany our work with some headbanging while we totally screw up the chopper.

• Like 1

My first to-do thing is to configure my hotas while on a free flight, with lots of active pause use 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I guess i'll take it slow. Like in the real life, first working on some procedures then getting used to the flight dynamics of this beast because i think you have to control the chopper well first then you can exercise on weapons or attacking tactics. Also dont forget to look on ARMY's attack manuals.

• Like 2