Is there any benefit getting more than 32GB of RAM for DCS?

19 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

Well I just found some used RAM that was the same model number of my current RAM, so they should be perfect fit.. I will see if the 32gb boost will help for a total of 64gb of Memory..

19 hours ago, Hector45 said:

Don't expect the XMP profile to work with two separate kits, I learned that the hard way myself. Hopefully you get lucky.

18 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

I am going to manually OC it.. 😉

I see you're also on Intel Comet Lake (i7 10700K), you'll be fine. I also added a second 32GB kit (2x 16 GB) of exact same RAM to mine.

Up to Comet Lake (10th gen), Intel is not too fussed about RAM.
Whereas from Rocket Lake (11th gen) and onwards, and especially with Alder Lake (12th gen), things are more like AMD Ryzen, lot pickier and sensitive with mixing of RAM kits (even of same model of RAM).

One thing I'll recommend is to add 0.05v to the DRAM voltage in BIOS, as four sticks can get cranky otherwise, if compared to just two.
So, supposing that the RAM kit(s) you have is 1.35v, first thing I'd do is to raise that to 1.40v.

Perfectly safe and harmless, small adjustment that can make all the difference.
I also OC'ed my RAM speed and (tweaked, tighter) timings. But be it Manual or XMP settings (if same exact kit), it should all be fine then.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, LucShep said:

I see you're also on Intel Comet Lake (i7 10700K), you'll be fine. I also added a second 32GB kit (2x 16 GB) of exact same RAM to mine.

Whereas from Rocket Lake (11th gen) and onwards, and especially with Alder Lake (12th gen), things are more like AMD Ryzen, lot pickier and sensitive with mixing of RAM kits (even of same model of RAM).

One thing I'll recommend is to add 0.5v to the DRAM voltage in BIOS, as four sticks can get cranky otherwise, if compared to just two.
So, supposing that the RAM kit(s) you have is 1.35v, first thing I'd do is to raise that to 1.40v.

I also OC'ed my RAM speed and (tweaked, tighter) timings. But be it Manual or XMP settings (if same exact kit), it should all be fine then.

Yes it should be pretty painless thnx for the info

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Ahhhhhhh, you mean 0,05v  ??

Adding 0,5v would smoke your DRAM 😉

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

32 minutes ago, BitMaster said:

Ahhhhhhh, you mean 0,05v  ??

Adding 0,5v would smoke your DRAM 😉

holy crappola 😮 forgot a zero there (sorry all).
Yes, you're absolutely right, going to rectify my post before someone barbecues a system 😄 LOL.

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

When I build a new System from scratch (every 5-6 years), I put in roughly double the amount that is considered "enough" and then never think about ram again. This way the system - even to the end of its life has no issue with ram to play the latest stuff....

For my last rig (i7-4790K), that was 32GB when 8-16GB was the standard. For my current system (build last summer) that is 64GB when 16-32 is common. Always played in my favour. Don't overspend on MHz or Timings. Invest the Money in capacity.

• Like 5

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Hiob:

When I build a new System from scratch (every 5-6 years), I put in roughly double the amount that is considered "enough" and then never think about ram again. This way the system - even to the end of its life has no issue with ram to play the latest stuff....

For my last rig (i7-4790K), that was 32GB when 8-16GB was the standard. For my current system (build last summer) that is 64GB when 16-32 is common. Always played in my favour. Don't overspend on MHz or Timings. Invest the Money in capacity.

100% right

Always had more RAM than the average PC of that time had and it always paid out well.

Since adding RAM has always been an issue, more or less, it has many advantages to buy sufficient  +some extra.

Sometimes I wish I had opted for 128GB when doing VMware....next machine will have that.

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I also prefer to have as much RAM as possible in my PC´s, although being objective, even today 64GB of RAM is almost double what is necessary for "normal" use.

Our problem it's called "DCS" and its voracious appetite for consuming resources; GPU, VRAM, RAM, CPU... nothing is optimized here (especially in VR).

With all the respect in the world, I wonder what characteristics the computers of the ED developers have.

• Like 1

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

On 4/20/2022 at 9:20 PM, LucShep said:

One thing I'll recommend is to add 0.05v to the DRAM voltage in BIOS, as four sticks can get cranky otherwise, if compared to just two.

Well I had installed the additonal RAM today and at first it did not want to boot. so I took of the XMP Profile and manually boosted it too 3200 and it seemed to have booted and was good.

I ran OCCT RAM test for an hour and it was fine. I may decide to try and OC it a bit more but right now it is running and I have no issues so far. I left the voltage @1.35v. so for now I can see if there was any benefit to adding more RAM which in 4YA Server I was @41GB so it already was good to have more RAM. I see DCS did not take all of the 64gb ram so I guess it only takes what it needs and not allocating it all like the vRam does in DCS..

But seemed smooth as it should be but having the ram needed by DCS is a good thing, I can almost see where we will be needing 128GB Soon 😉

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

On 4/22/2022 at 3:51 PM, Joe1978 said:

nothing is optimized here (especially in VR)

In one of the semi-recent interviews with ED, Simon (iirc it was him) said the new GFX engine for DCS (post-Vulkan and multicore) would benefit from having 64GB of RAM, so that's what I went for. Flight simulators is a genre that has always been more demanding on RAM than the average PC game...

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
typo
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

In one of the semi-recent interviews with ED, Simon (iirc it was him) said the new GFX engine for DCS (post-Vulkan and multicore) would benefit from having 64GB of RAM, so that's what I went for. Flight simulators is a genre that has always been more demanding on RAM than the average PC game...

But when are we getting the new Graphic Engine? could it be possible in 3rd quarter?

• Like 1

hace 31 minutos, Raven (Elysian Angel) dijo:

Thanks Raven. 

Yes, I remember that in an interview (before the Apache release, maybe last year) the ED team talked about one of their future priorities being VR... but not much more has been said about it. I cross my fingers.

I understand that this type of work (process code) is not at all attractive... but it is very necessary, especially because building a PC according to DCS requirements is more expensive every day.

Edited by Joe1978
orthography

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

14 hours ago, Joe1978 said:

building a PC according to DCS requirements is more expensive every day.

Yes it is, but I remember barely scratching 20 fps in flight sims back in the ‘90s, so in the end we’re much better off today 🙂

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

tbh....wenn I played Falcon 3.0 back then, I was more concerned with freeing the needed amount of expanded memory (optimizing config.sys and autoexec.bat was the "overclocking" back then). I didn't even have the the concept of "fps" let alone the knowledge to measure them....

Edited by Hiob
typo
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes it is, but I remember barely scratching 20 fps in flight sims back in the ‘90s, so in the end we’re much better off today 🙂

And in VR now I'm getting like 42 fps 🙂

So at that rate, does that mean that I'll be getting a nice comfortable 80 fps by the 2050s? 😃

• Like 2

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

12 hours ago, ApacheLongbow said:

3rd quarter 2032 maybe.

hehe I sure hope not .. 😉

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:36 AM, Zius said:

When it comes to single thread performance, the 12600 series seems the most bang for the buck...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Right now I am thinking about getting this:

Intel Core i5-12600K Boxed
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2D3600C18 64GB DDR4 @ 3.600MT/s, kit of 2
Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

I'm keeping my GPU:

GeForce GTX 1660 Super

That is a good system.  I would think about 2 1TB drives though instead of the 1 2TB drive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maverick1202 said:

That is a good system.  I would think about 2 1TB drives though instead of the 1 2TB drive.

Why though? To seperate OS and pagefile from applications/games?

While I would totally do that if I had two drives in the first place, I'll bet you a fortune that you won't notice the differences  - given that both drives are ssd.

14 hours ago, ApacheLongbow said:

With desktop computers, there's no need for that. You won't gain anything. Software raid is, err, no. If only we could natively run DCS in Linux, we could run several virtual machines in a proxmox installation, each assigned to separate cpu core and with them, use say, a software defined distributed file system, like Gluster, to gain on I/O.

But anyways, I'm curious, why would you do that, 2 smaller drives instead of a big 1?

I have always heard that it's best to have a dedicated boot drive and a separate drive dedicated for the game for the best performance.  Is that right?  Does it matter?

On 4/16/2022 at 2:36 PM, Zius said:

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

You probably won't notice a bit of difference (except 2x the price) between that and the EVO Plus.  The 2GB version is $199 on Amazon right now, and I've been so tempted but just can't justify it at this time.  I have my OS and MSFS on a 1TB version of that, and I have DCS on a SATA SSD, and I see no difference.  If anything, DCS is faster, though they are very different apps under the hood.

8 hours ago, Maverick1202 said:

I have always heard that it's best to have a dedicated boot drive and a separate drive dedicated for the game for the best performance.  Is that right?  Does it matter?

For spinning drives, yes that was true. Because they had to physically move their r/w-head to different positions. In a ssd with no moving parts and much faster access speeds it doesn't matter.

Regarding speed. IRL you will certainly notice the difference between a harddrive and any ssd - it's a big improvement. The difference between a sata-ssd and a pcie or nvme is less (or hardly) noticeable for practical purposes. The advantage of PCIe 4.0 vs. PCIe 3.0 is academical and has no meaning at all for applications like DCS.

Well, I could argue here as I work in scenarios where you do have a difference between Sata-SSD, NVMe3 and 4 but for most users that is not really important as they don't backup/restore/snapshot 50-500GB workloads, that's when you can see a difference, also between Evo and Pro Samsung drives for example. The difference is there and I sometimes ask myself why all those magazines and websites don't incorporate such scenarios to show examples where it can safe you time. Agreed, for gaming it is not that important.

The reason why many still splitt OS from any other workload are dependencies. If you really screw it up you can format/recover/reinstall whatever with your C-drive and nothing happens to your actual data sets. It's not bad idea to move the Private Folders on another drive as well but that is another thing. Also Backups, if you keep heavy Games on other drive(s) you can backup your OS drive a lot faster and it's easier to handle than if you have Win11, DCS,1TB-Steam,+Office,Firefox..etc...all on 1x 2TB drive "C". If you want to back that up it's always an hourlong task. With a 50GB OS install it's a quick thing and less demanding in every aspect.

With Win10 and 11, you hardly ever know exactly what it's doing under the hood, what it is planning to do in the next 5 minutes, when is the next Antivirus Fullscan, when does it search for updates again, when does Adobe, Mozilla, Google,XYZ..scan for their updates..oh..there is a HDD that needs defrag and a SSD that needs it's monthly trimming, lots of stuff that goes on underneath that you have virtually no real control over. Sure, with many cores and SSD in general that impact has gotten less and less but if you happen to have enough drives and ressources, I would always splitt OS and APPs. I have my Games, Virtual Machines and Movies/Pics all on dedicated drives and if Win11 has a bad day I switch to another boot drive and run Linux, as I do right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory  CL 16 (16-19-19-39)  

Getting

G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory CL 18 ( 18-22-22-42)

Can I install them all or just install 2x32 GB and don't mix them together because different CAS Latency  and timing?

52 minutes ago, klabo_71st said:

I have G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory  CL 16 (16-19-19-39)  

Getting

G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory CL 18 ( 18-22-22-42)

Can I install them all or just install 2x32 GB and don't mix them together because different CAS Latency  and timing?

Don't mix them together. You're asking for problems. 1. 64 GB is plenty - so no need for the extra 16 GB.
Second, Memory is kind of  a sensitive matter. It may work, if you're not asking to much from it (but since XMP is technical overclocking - you already do).

Tbh. you may try - you won't hurt your system. Problem is - you may encounter weird behaviour not immidietly, but some time in the future when you don't think about your RAM anymore. New Application, hotter temperatures, an attempt to overclock - whatever. And suddenly the instabilities kick in. Random crashes and so on.....

I would at least do thoroughly stability and performance tests with and without the mix.

Edited by Hiob