LSO always awards me a C grade due to 3PTS

Brazo

Fortunately no other errors but I always get marked down for a 3 point landing.

Can anyone tell me why this is bad and what I can do to avoid it? I'm always on glideslope '0' for the groove and landing and everything else is ok. 

The DCS SC LSO is not very good, typically my advice is to just ignore it, hopefully it will be improved when developers can devote time to the supercarrier core features like LSO, Night Wands, NV PLATCAM, etc...

After the briefing room maybe we will see these core features developed.

As for why it's bad, is if you legitimately had a 3PTS landing, that means you landed with all 3 wheels down at touchdown, which means you had nearly 0 degrees AOA, which typically means you pushed the stick forward to force the landing instead of taking the bolter. This is a dangerous practice. Assuming you were on AOA until touchdown, it's just the DCS SC LSO giving incorrect grades.

• Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

As Marlan_ said, plus:

3PTS is typically not the players fault.

The in-game groundeffect is crazy (at least it was, I dont know if they've lessened it).

After you pass the fantail/In-Close you see the AoA drop, from on-speed to 3-5 degrees. Making you more in-line with the deck. This is further exacerbated if you have winds.

If you look at HUD-cams from carrier landings you'll see that the E-bracket really doesn't move much, at all, untill the plane hits the deck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

Thanks guys

I guess if I wasn't on 'AOA' then the hook wouldn't catch anyway so makes sense. 

Almost seems too good to be true that the error is with the software and not me but hey I'll take it....! @mods can you lock thread now before someone tells me otherwise 😉

If you haven't found it, there's a great free mission available called "Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer" that gives you much more detailed (and actually accurate) pass grading than the supercarrier LSO does.  Highly recommended for those "laps around the boat" days. 

Otherwise, as has been said, this 3pts critique is a flaw in the supercarrier grading, and alone is enough to turn an OK pass into a Cut.  It's because of a flight model bug (maybe ground effect, maybe something else) that pulls the Hornet's nose down just before touchdown.  The way to "game the system" into avoiding it is to start your addition to mil power about a second BEFORE you touch down; this will cause the aircraft to start pitching up to maintain trimmed AoA and counter the pitch down bug. Timing is tricky though; easy to push yourself into a 4 wire or bolter.

But yeah, maybe once we have a pretty room to look at and 5 more EA modules released, they'll get around to making the Hornet fly correctly...

• Like 3

Amen @Stearmandriver.  Well put. 

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod