Can I choose not to carry the M4 in the cabin?

HappyVoo

8 hours ago, MertTunç said:

I think you should think realistic what you are going to do if you autorotate to behind enemy lines ?

I would restart the game.

• Like 5

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

20 minutes ago, Wexler said:

I would restart the game.

Lmao

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

22 minutes ago, BeastyBaiter said:

Confirming shooting out of the window of an Apache is done in real life on a routine basis. Here's a historical documentary on its practice.

To be fair, that looks better than every single film Michael Bay ever directed.

I mean... you could just lean forward a little.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

9 hours ago, Greg B said:

Because not all operators of Apache, carry M-4’s in the pit. UK for one.

Do they carry SA-80's ?

I mean, I know that the UK MOD does issue "Armalite pattern" rifles for certain applications. Pathfinders, Executive Protection Details, SAS and SBS all use Colt Canada/Diemaco C-8 variants... basically an arctic M4 with a better barrel.... maybe their Apache crews use those too? 

Edit, should have read the rest of the thread first! Ok so the shortened "Carbine" SA-80 variant is carried on Apaches. Hmm. 

Edited by Rick50

6 hours ago, Caldero said:

Hi

I don't thing you need the weapon in a traning flight over a friendly area

Regards

I was a mere gun bunny, but anytime we were training we had ours slung on our back at the very least.

Train like you fight.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

hace 1 hora, hannibal dijo:

If it was me, I would replace M4 with Ruger AC556... a la the A-Team!

Several technical details would preclude such an option ( using an AC-556 in the place of an M4 ) from the realm of consideration. The two most notable are that 1. this model of rifle requires proprietary magazines and 2. non-standard parts of repair would need to be specifically ordered. (  "...Ruger stopped working on these guns in 2009 and no longer supports them in any way. About 90 percent of the internals swap out for regular Mini-14 parts, but odds are those aren't the ones you broke.") (1)(<https://www.guns.com/news/2014/03/10/ruger-ac556-totally-legal-totally-full-auto-mini-14-video>) 

😁

14 hours ago, iceman14555 said:

I'm sure there's an Army regulation somewhere that says you can't do that. It would be like taking off your PT belt. Just no.

Do YOU want a safety briefing, cause that’s how we get a safety briefing!

• Like 1

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

4 hours ago, hannibal said:

If it was me, I would replace M4 with Ruger AC556... a la the A-Team!

Riiiiight... but then after all the noise and havoc, none of the enermies would be down!  Spray and not hitting, not my idea of a good survival stratergy! 

Might be a better idea to pretend as a civilian with a hidden 1911, just walk out of there... 

1 hour ago, epoch said:

The DCS module is a Boeing AH64D.  Not used by the UK.

Well... they do use the D. Albeit made under license by AgustaWestland, but I doubt there's a lot of difference between the two. I mean the first 8 units were actually made by Boeing...  and the rest made by Agusta Westland/Leonardo from Boeing-supplied kits.

But DCS representation is that of a US Army variant, not the UK variant, so we're still on the same page, that it's not "exactly" the same!

Edit:

While essentially a Boeing product, the UK variant does have some differences, they use a Rolls Royce turbine, Bowman secure radios, doesn't use Hydra rockets but CRV7 Canadian rockets insteadn (much higher velocity and Kinetic Energy for Flechette rounds), 

Edited by Rick50

I have been looking around the cockpit in the model viewer, and the level of detail of the M4 model is impressive (maybe even a bit excessive). Even parts that are invisible from the outside (like the top cartridge in the magazine and the locking lugs on the barrel extension/bolt) are modelled. Now let's just wait for some rivet counter to complain about that the primer is too large, and that the barrel extension is rotated 22,5° CCW 😛

m4-inside.PNG

m4-outside.PNG

• Thanks 1

Hmm... strange that they would include such poly's that simply aren't needed... even FPS sims don't need that kind of details, but for window dressing that will never be used in-game?!?!

Sure, the exterior looks great, but this is why a 3 year old system chokes... uneeded details that don't contribute to enjoyment.

My guess is they looked for good 3d asset to buy, did so, and just put it iin-game with no model optimisation, reduce the polys not seen by the player.

• Like 2

I set up a completely new computer like 4 years ago with decent hardware that I could get for my budget. It's struggling really hard as they just keep piling on with DCS. Maybe they should do a performance pass once the big bugs are dealt with. Or finally get around to implementing vulcan.

On 3/17/2022 at 6:27 AM, Me haces reír. said:

It is a shame - the M4 is essentially the ideal rifle in its category. 

Automatic rifles are cheating, and ungentlemanly. the M4 should be exchanged for a small sword. The ultimate self defence weapon for a gentleman.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, Rick50 said:

Ah, but Army NCO's are not "Gentlemen"!

Air Force pilots be gentlemens, give them the ceremonial swords... Apache crews ought to carry grenade launchers instead, M-79 for the win!

NCOs should carry an NCO sword. Usually some type of spadroon.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Navy and Air Force pilots can choose whether to carry a sidearm on missions, I wonder how much choice Apache pilots get. Do they check out the rifle from the armory and carry it to the helicopter for every mission?

On 3/18/2022 at 9:38 AM, drPhibes said:

Now let's just wait for some rivet counter to complain about that the primer is too large, and that the barrel extension is rotated 22,5° CCW 😛

Naw. But the dust cover being open does bother me a little. 

I kinda like it. If for no other reason than I used it to set my in game cockpit scale using one of my real world 30 round mags. 😁

--Arthur C Clark