Game Crash, stuck on loading Terrain Graphics Init: 97 Caucasus.ng5

dlutan
Go to solution Solved by MadDog-IC,

Hi Team, really appreciate help.  Have Helicopter Controls, been grounded for ages.  Problem is DCS does not load past Terrain Graphics Init: 97 Caucasus.ng5 when trying to fly the Mi8 or Huey.  Have to do a Control Alt Delete and end task on DCS. 

This problem occurred a couple weeks ago and ultimately caused me to remove DCS and do a total fresh install.  Been dealing with a couple of bugs along the way, resolved, but the described bug above is most frustrating and appreciate help please to resolve.  Attached is the log.  Many kind thanks in advance, Dave

dcs.log

21 hours ago, dlutan said:

Hi Team, really appreciate help.  Have Helicopter Controls, been grounded for ages.  Problem is DCS does not load past Terrain Graphics Init: 97 Caucasus.ng5 when trying to fly the Mi8 or Huey.  Have to do a Control Alt Delete and end task on DCS. 

This problem occurred a couple weeks ago and ultimately caused me to remove DCS and do a total fresh install.  Been dealing with a couple of bugs along the way, resolved, but the described bug above is most frustrating and appreciate help please to resolve.  Attached is the log.  Many kind thanks in advance, Dave

Quick look at your DCS.log shows :

1. Your Windows Page files is to low (2gb) and should be set higher (ie 16 - 32gb).
  2. Video card drivers quite old (Might pay to get later version).
  3. Main issue is Lua code errors that point to the Missioneditor folder, you have permission denied and other failures.

The Lua Code issues may be caused by MODS being installed, and the issue of locking up when loading mission is usually because of some issue in the "C:\Users\user\Saved Games\DCS" folder, or loading a mission that may have been edited on a latter (Test) version of editor (You would get a warning on loading that it was made on a later version though).

General Help for this issue by Bignewy

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

2 hours ago, MadDog-IC said:

Quick look at your DCS.log shows :

1. Your Windows Page files is to low (2gb) and should be set higher (ie 16 - 32gb).
  2. Video card drivers quite old (Might pay to get later version).
  3. Main issue is Lua code errors that point to the Missioneditor folder, you have permission denied and other failures.

The Lua Code issues may be caused by MODS being installed, and the issue of locking up when loading mission is usually because of some issue in the Saved Games\DCS.openbeta folder, or loading a mission that may have been edited on a latter (Test) version of editor (You would get a warning on loading that it was made on a later version though).

General Help for this issue by Bignewy

Regards, Ian.

Hi Ian, many thanks.  I am a bit of an old fella and a bit slow with fault finding computer issues.  For 

1. Your Windows Page files is to low (2gb) and should be set higher (ie 16 - 32gb).  How is this done please?
  2. Video card drivers quite old (Might pay to get later version).  This is an interesting one as I have tried in the past to download the GTX 1060 drivers, but Windows keeps on telling me the drivers are the latest?  How may I get around this please?

Many thanks for your kind help.  Dave

18 hours ago, dlutan said:

Hi Ian, many thanks.  I am a bit of an old fella and a bit slow with fault finding computer issues.  For 

1. Your Windows Page files is to low (2gb) and should be set higher (ie 16 - 32gb).  How is this done please?
  2. Video card drivers quite old (Might pay to get later version).  This is an interesting one as I have tried in the past to download the GTX 1060 drivers, but Windows keeps on telling me the drivers are the latest?  How may I get around this please?

Many thanks for your kind help.  Dave

Hi Dave, I think a great deal of us are getting into our twilight years, if you had clicked on the link mentioning BIGNEWY in my original message it would have indicated on how to do the required steps, but that is no problem, I felt I had better give you some more direct links and easier instructions to follow.

1. Instructions for changing pagefile (input 16384 or 32768): https://mcci.com/support/guides/how-to-change-the-windows-pagefile-size/
  2. Download and install these drivers for your GTX-1060 here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us
  3. Using windows explorer, rename the folder: "C:\Users\user\Saved Games\DCS" to "C:\Users\user\Saved Games\_DCS" or "C:\Users\user\Saved Games\DCS_Backup" and start DCS to recreate a fresh configurations folder and run a mission to see if it resolved your loading issues, if it has you will have to copy over parts from the old backup, such as logbook, inputs for joysticks, etc. (This is the hard part)
  4. This is the main DCS problem that needs to be addressed, excerpt from DCS.log showing no permission to access a directory to write a file amongst other issues:
    Spoiler

2022-03-17 02:25:15.571 ERROR   VFS: VFS_open_write: CreateFile(C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\temp.theatre): Access is denied.

2022-03-17 02:25:15.571 ALERT   LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3922: attempt to index local 'f' (a nil value)
    GUI debug.traceback: stack traceback:
        [C]: ?
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3922: in function 'addTheatreToZip'
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3967: in function 'save'
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3885: in function <[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3868>
        (tail call): ?
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:7018: in function 'play'
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_quickstart.lua"]:279: in function 'func'
        [string "./Scripts/UI/ProgressBarDialog.lua"]:154: in function 'updater'

5. If step 3 doesn't resolve the issue with mission loading, I will need to see the new DCS.log file created to see if this same error is occuring or not. If same error is there then it will be more of a hardware or windows system fault that will need to be found and addressed, that will not be easy.
  6. You could run DXDiag and send log to see if that contains any clues:
    • Press Windows key on keyboard and type dxdiag.exe and click on that name in the list of results to run it.
    • Click on bottom tab (Save all Information) and create the file on you desktop.
    • Attach that saved file to post in this forum.
  7. As you said you re-installed DCS, I have assumed that a DCS clean and repair would be fruitless, you did also mention other issues on your way, what were they ????.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Awesome thanks.  I have a windows update issue and problem with Graphics Card Driver update which working through.  Buggar.  Thanks for all help, hopefully can get the updates sorted.  Dave

3 hours ago, MadDog-IC said:

Hi Dave, I think a great deal of us are getting into our twilight years, if you had clicked on the link mentioning BIGNEWY in my original message it would have indicated on how to do the required steps, but that is no problem, I felt I had better give you some more direct links and easier instructions to follow.

1. Instructions for changing pagefile (input 16384 or 32768): https://mcci.com/support/guides/how-to-change-the-windows-pagefile-size/
  2. Download and install these drivers for your GTX-1060 here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us
  3. Using windows explorer, rename the folder: "C:\Users\user\Saved Games\DCS" to "C:\Users\user\Saved Games\_DCS" or "C:\Users\user\Saved Games\DCS_Backup" and start DCS to recreate a fresh configurations folder and run a mission to see if it resolved your loading issues, if it has you will have to copy over parts from the old backup, such as logbook, inputs for joysticks, etc. (This is the hard part)
  4. This is the main DCS problem that needs to be addressed, excerpt from DCS.log showing no permission to access a directory to write a file amongst other issues:
      Reveal hidden contents

2022-03-17 02:25:15.571 ERROR   VFS: VFS_open_write: CreateFile(C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\temp.theatre): Access is denied.

2022-03-17 02:25:15.571 ALERT   LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3922: attempt to index local 'f' (a nil value)
    GUI debug.traceback: stack traceback:
        [C]: ?
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3922: in function 'addTheatreToZip'
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3967: in function 'save'
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3885: in function <[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:3868>
        (tail call): ?
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:7018: in function 'play'
        [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_quickstart.lua"]:279: in function 'func'
        [string "./Scripts/UI/ProgressBarDialog.lua"]:154: in function 'updater'

5. If step 3 doesn't resolve the issue with mission loading, I will need to see the new DCS.log file created to see if this same error is occuring or not. If same error is there then it will be more of a hardware or windows system fault that will need to be found and addressed, that will not be easy.
  6. You could run DXDiag and send log to see if that contains any clues:
    • Press Windows key on keyboard and type dxdiag.exe and click on that name in the list of results to run it.
    • Click on bottom tab (Save all Information) and create the file on you desktop.
    • Attach that saved file to post in this forum.
  7. As you said you re-installed DCS, I have assumed that a DCS clean and repair would be fruitless, you did also mention other issues on your way, what were they ????.

Regards, Ian.

Hi Ian, The main issue, which was not really a problem before in running DCS, is Windows does not update.  I have an MSI Gaming Laptop and when windows goes to restart from an update, it just sits on the MSI Logo.  I then shut down and restart and it rolls the update back and in the past could use DCS.  Things seem to change on a DCS update and I suspect the windows update is now necessary.  I researched the windows update issue and it suggests some changes are needed in the BIOS to enable the windows update.  I am getting a IT professional to sort that one out.  The other issue is I went to the NVIDIA website, found my Graphics Card GTX 1060 and attempted to update the driver and regretfully the computer crashes.  The IT guy is going to re-install windows, update all drivers if necessary and then I will need to re-install Steam, Steam VR and DCS.  More GB's of downloads, but hopefully that will fix my system.  Interestingly I do not use the Laptop for anything else except flying DCS Huey, Mi-8 with VR.  I'll report back how this plays out and thanks so much for all the kind help.  Dave

Hi Ian and Maximov, I am back up and running.  Basically, complete install of Windows 10.  Had to re-install Steam, Steam VR and DCS with my modules and after mega hours of downloads, back up and running.  So glad no longer grounded.  Many thanks for all your help.  Take Care, Dave

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I had the same issue, and I completely deleted Saved games DCS Folder.

There's no need to reboot system, just ran and it started working again.

Thank you guys!.

Edited by mrmach

" MrMACH...Flies a cargo plane full of rubber dogshit out of Hong kong..." :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]