OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

27 minutes ago, winghunter said:

typically Eye0 is right, Eye1 is left

Is this info logged?

;To get the values for the hidden area mesh fix enable this and look in the log file for GetProjectionRaw
logRawProjection=

Got it... seems I was thinking backward. The the left edge of the right panel was actually encroaching over to the left fov. I edited both to match.

;Hidden area mesh fix for G2, may work on other headsets
projEye1Left=-0.989877
projEye1Right=0.989877

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

Is this info logged?

;To get the values for the hidden area mesh fix enable this and look in the log file for GetProjectionRaw
logRawProjection=

Got it... seems I was thinking backward. The the left edge of the right panel was actually encroaching over to the left fov. I edited both to match.

;Hidden area mesh fix for G2, may work on other headsets
projEye1Left=-0.989877
projEye1Right=0.989877

You’re far better off with a full custom mask

im going to make a guide for it as you’re not the first to ask this question 

1) disable mask inside ini

2) enable the log above

3) launch DCS. (I do a quick start mission to make sure everything still actually works) then quit

4) Access the VR log inside the root directory of DCS (NOT BIN FOLDER)

5) copy and paste the values about half way down the document you will find them somewhere 

4) Deactivate the 🪵 and activate the 😷 

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 2

The original post said "For the record I was getting a GPU frame time of around 9ms and CPU of around 13ms with SteamVR and I am sitting on 19ish with OpenXR. OpenXR is miles better!"

Is this correct? I thought a higher ms frame time meant lower fps? How could getting 19ms with OpenXR be better than 13 with SteamVR?

Apologies if i'm reading this wrong.

Also, i'm only getting around 70 fps and even with motion smoothing on or auto, the view (& fps) still fluctuates and is not a smooth experience

22 minutes ago, FiringPin said:

The original post said "For the record I was getting a GPU frame time of around 9ms and CPU of around 13ms with SteamVR and I am sitting on 19ish with OpenXR. OpenXR is miles better!"

Is this correct? I thought a higher ms frame time meant lower fps? How could getting 19ms with OpenXR be better than 13 with SteamVR?

Apologies if i'm reading this wrong.

Also, i'm only getting around 70 fps and even with motion smoothing on or auto, the view (& fps) still fluctuates and is not a smooth experience

Because in order to achieve 45FPS you’re looking for roughly 19ish millisecond frame time 

You’re softlocked to 90/45/30 etc. If you have 3090/6900xt whatever and sitting at lower settings unable to get 90FPS but are getting close; this means that you're sitting in your Ferrari doing 60km/h. Which is fine, but I doubt you bought your high end setup to be only using a part of it

Even if you *think* you are getting 70fps what you’re likely are getting 45 then 90 then 45 again. Why don’t you turn settings up and enjoy a stable 45FPS instead of the 🦘 performance 

Its not possible to get 70FPS

If you enjoy lower settings (more power to you) use OpenXR Toolkit to lock you at 45 so you don't go barreling over 90FPS/10ms and then back again to 45FPS/20ms

I have 6900XT (Gold silicon sample) and an older 3900X CPU and I can have things cranked including the performance sapping MSAA

P.S. God Damn! Motion smoothening is refusing to die no matter how hard I try. As I said, I am not here to kink shame - But why complain about it to me when I say to avoid it like a Hokum trying to get away from a pair of javelins 

Edited by nikoel

25 minutes ago, nikoel said:

You’re far better off with a full custom mask

im going to make a guide for it as you’re not the first to ask this question 

1) disable mask inside ini

2) enable the log above

3) launch DCS. (I do a quick start mission to make sure everything still actually works) then quit

4) Access the VR log inside the root directory of DCS (NOT BIN FOLDER)

5) copy and paste the values about half way down the document you will find them somewhere 

4) Deactivate the 🪵 and activate the 😷 

This line?

logRawProjection=enabled

All I see created is openovr_log but I don't see anything in it referring to "projEye1Left" etc.

wait...maybe

G:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\openovr_log (6 hits)
    Line 40: XrHMD::GetProjectionRaw:95    - xrLocateViews
    Line 41: XrHMD::GetProjectionRaw:146    - GetProjectionRaw Eye 0 Top -1.052055 Bottom 1.055923 Left -1.159287 Right 0.990254
    Line 41: XrHMD::GetProjectionRaw:146    - GetProjectionRaw Eye 0 Top -1.052055 Bottom 1.055923 Left -1.159287 Right 0.990254
    Line 42: XrHMD::GetProjectionRaw:95    - xrLocateViews
    Line 43: XrHMD::GetProjectionRaw:146    - GetProjectionRaw Eye 1 Top -1.043944 Bottom 1.060599 Left -0.990319 Right 1.157167
    Line 43: XrHMD::GetProjectionRaw:146    - GetProjectionRaw Eye 1 Top -1.043944 Bottom 1.060599 Left -0.990319 Right 1.157167

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Just now, Sr. said:

This line?

logRawProjection=enabled

All I see created is openovr_log but I don't see anything in it referring to "projEye1Left" etc.

I'm not in front of my PC. But I think you are looking at the wrong line inside the log file. Alternatively delete it and get a new one. I also want to check you're looking at the correct log file (It's not the DCS log)

When I am at my computer I'll regenerate mine and post screenshots 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nikoel said:

I'm not in front of my PC. But I think you are looking at the wrong line inside the log file. Alternatively delete it and get a new one. I also want to check you're looking at the correct log file (It's not the DCS log)

When I am at my computer I'll regenerate mine and post screenshots 

got it

Thanks again

--Arthur C Clark

On 3/21/2022 at 1:10 AM, Sile said:

Thank you for this.

I had great results but i still can't live without my motion reprojection.

And reprojection works with openxr in less demanding scenarios - single player missions.
When i tried it on a populated MP server it got a stuttery mess. Reconnect without reprojection was fine. (Tried that multiple times to confirm.)

So i'll surely be back when motion reprojection support get's improved one day.

Same for me. Sim is unplayable until reprojection is fixed, so for me, can't use sadly

11 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Sorry does that mean you solved your issue. Or as in understood my message?

Sorry. Resolved... I added an edit to my other post above.

--Arthur C Clark

I believe it does, you can always convert steam licenses to stand alone though 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, Elidji said:

Hello,

Does it work with the steam version of DCS ?

Yes, it does seems so. I have the Steam DCS variant installed on my system and have managed to run DCS via WMR and without it calling SteamVR. So it does seem to work. I just had to get used to starting DCS from within WMR (never done so before).

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

38 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

I have followed the instructions to the letter and using 0.6 I keep getting this error, anyone have any ideas.

Have you tried copying all of the files back into the bin folder?

The updated D3Dcompiler_47.dll also needs to go into the bin folder in addition to the opencomposite.ini and openvr_api.dll

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

2 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Have you tried copying all of the files back into the bin folder?

The updated D3Dcompiler_47.dll also needs to go into the bin folder in addition to the opencomposite.ini and openvr_api.dll

Yep, I did a reboot and that seems too have sorted it out 🙂

• Like 1

Any gpu will benefit from it within reason.

Don't look at it as a performance increase (although invariably there is some) but more of a quality increase, for the same image quality you can reduce settings and thusly improve performance; alternatively keep the performance as is and improve image quality.

• Like 1

Added instructions and screenshot of how to get your own mask. Not required but recommended!

(Also might solve your IHADS issue in the Apache and make your aim a little less Storm-trooper like?)

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, kraszus said:

Is this for WMR headesets only? Does it work with Quest 2?

I believe that DCS uses the quest natively with the oculus runtime which I think is openxr already?  If you run the quest via steamvr then yes it should make a difference.

Try it, if it works and makes a difference then you know it works 😄

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

Yep, I did a reboot and that seems too have sorted it out 🙂

On a fresh reboot, opencomposite works fine. But if I close DCS and try to run it again, I get this same error.

Kind of annoying to have to reboot my machine if I want to tweak settings.

I cleaned and repaired my DCS install, no effect. Deleted metashaders2 and fxo, also no effect. Here is my openovr_log from a failed run.

EDIT: Restarting the windows perception service seems to also fix the issue, as a better workaround than rebooting my entire machine.

DrvOpenXR::GetXRAppName:103	- Setting application name to OpenComposite_DCS
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_KHR_win32_convert_performance_counter_time
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_KHR_D3D11_enable
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_KHR_D3D12_enable
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_KHR_composition_layer_depth
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_KHR_composition_layer_color_scale_bias
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_unbounded_reference_space
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_anchor
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_perception_anchor_interop
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_EXT_win32_appcontainer_compatible
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_EXT_conformance_automation
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_composition_layer_reprojection
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_graph_bridge
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_anchor_persistence
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_EXT_eye_gaze_interaction
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_hand_interaction
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_EXT_hand_tracking
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_hand_tracking_mesh
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_MSFT_controller_model
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_KHR_visibility_mask
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_EXT_samsung_odyssey_controller
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_EXT_hp_mixed_reality_controller
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150	- Extension: XR_EXT_debug_utils
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:155	- Num layers available: 0 
DrvOpenXR::GetXRAppName:103	- Setting application name to OpenComposite_DCS
debugCallback:117	- debugCallback Completed loader terminator
debugCallback:117	- debugCallback Completed loader trampoline
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:250	- viewCount: 2
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:256	- xrViewCount: 2
DrvOpenXR::SetupSession:296	- XrSystem: 1 XrInstance: 0000000000000002
XrBackend::PumpEvents:884	- Switch to OpenXR state 1
XrBackend::PumpEvents:884	- Switch to OpenXR state 2
XrBackend::PumpEvents:888	- Hit ready state, begin session...
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:359	- GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1000 (null)
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:359	- GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1000 
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:359	- GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1001 (null)
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:359	- GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1001 
BaseExtendedDisplay::GetWindowBounds:15	- GetWindowBounds w 1920 h 1080
XrHMD::GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize:18	- GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize w 2744 h 2676
XrHMD::GetProjectionRaw:95	- xrLocateViews
XrHMD::GetProjectionRaw:95	- xrLocateViews
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:359	- GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1000 (null)
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:359	- GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1000 
XrHMD::GetHiddenAreaMesh:230	- GetHiddenAreaMesh eye: 0 type: 1
XrHMD::GetHiddenAreaMesh:230	- GetHiddenAreaMesh eye: 1 type: 1
XrHMD::GetEyeToHeadTransform:182	- xrLocateViews
XrBackend::CheckOrInitCompositors:320	- Recreating OpenXR session for application graphics API
DrvOpenXR::SetupSession:296	- XrSystem: 1 XrInstance: 0000000000000002
XrBackend::PumpEvents:884	- Switch to OpenXR state 1
XrBackend::PumpEvents:884	- Switch to OpenXR state 2
XrBackend::PumpEvents:888	- Hit ready state, begin session...
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:274	- Generating new swap chain
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:278	- Texture desc format: 28
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:279	- Texture desc bind flags: 40
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:280	- Texture desc MiscFlags: 0
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:281	- Texture desc Usage: 0
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:282	- Texture desc width: 2744
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:283	- Texture desc height: 2676
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:311	- Texture desc format: 29
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:338	- Created swap chain: 2744 x 2676
d3d_make_surface_data:131	- Texture description: 2744 x 2676 Format 27
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:274	- Generating new swap chain
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:278	- Texture desc format: 28
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:279	- Texture desc bind flags: 40
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:280	- Texture desc MiscFlags: 0
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:281	- Texture desc Usage: 0
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:282	- Texture desc width: 2744
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:283	- Texture desc height: 2676
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:311	- Texture desc format: 29
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:338	- Created swap chain: 2744 x 2676
oovr_abort_raw:55	- Abort!
XrBackend::SubmitFrames:702	- OpenXR Call failed, aborting. C:\Users\Jabbah\Documents\open-composite-acc\DrvOpenXR\XrBackend.cpp:702 SubmitFrames. Error code: -1
res

Edited by abelian

works great here for my G2 with a 2080ti  I am getting 30fps  in the Apache since version 6 no issues with alignment.

Flight Rig: Ryzen 7 5800X; 32 Gig DDR4 3600; Focus 1000W; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 TI OC Edition; Corsair 500D Airflow VR: HP Reverb G2

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 3900X; 32 Gig DDR4 3000; Gigabyte 3070 TI OC Edition; Phanteks Eclipse P400

3 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

I have followed the instructions to the letter and using 0.6 I keep getting this error, anyone have any ideas.OCXR_Error.JPG

i had the same issue.

managed to solve by restarting wmr portal and killed some process named acc.... etc....

but after that after à 3rd or 4th dcs boot. issue went back and first method was unsuccesful. i had to rebbot my computer. i guess à computer reboot is the best method.