OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

32 minutes ago, July said:

I'll try giving it another go with the OpenXR Toolkit installed. Also, do you have another invite link to the discord that was linked at the beginning of this thread? I think the OP's invite link is expired and/or not working.

Try this: -

https://discord.gg/77dy4px9Hz

The devs are very active in there and might be able to offer better advice?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

19 minutes ago, nikoel said:

You guys have read and understand that you can simply lock 45FPS via OpenXR Toolkit and it will have the motion smoothening disabled but the frame rate cap enabled so you’re not experiencing the spikes…?!

There is no way of getting 60 or 70FPS. You are not seeing it. However the extra overhead does help and you will get the juiciest frame as selected by OpenXR

The frametimes will always be at 19-21ms because you’re locked at 45FPS. Then they will go to 11ms when you hit 90FPS

Please re-read my blob on performance as I have made it more blunt because some of yas reaaaaaally need to hear what I’ve said. Or you know, don’t. I’m not your mum  

Yes, I have tried locked 45 FPS with the in game Ctrl + F2 Toolkit, doesn't help too much except like you said, give extra overhead for increased graphics settings.

18 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

That's ghosting sir.

Yes. It is ghosting because reprojection is disabled and the game is not running at 90 FPS but many people in this thread are saying that they're getting a much smoother experience while even @edmuss stated that "reprojection isn't really necessary" because the OXR workaround should be a much smoother experience than what those who used SteamVR were used to. I agree that the comparison to SteamVR can be made, for a motion smoothing/reprojection OFF case, but I don't think it works too well when comparing reprojection ON. Others seem to share the same sentiment.

Edited by July
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, nikoel said:

The frametimes will always be at 19-21ms because you’re locked at 45FPS. Then they will go to 11ms when you hit 90FPS

Maybe that’s where people are going wrong, saying things like ‘then they will go to 11ms when you hit 90fps’? How can you lock the frame rate at 45fps yet expect to get 90fps?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

15 minutes ago, obious said:

Maybe that’s where people are going wrong, saying things like ‘then they will go to 11ms when you hit 90fps’? How can you lock the frame rate at 45fps yet expect to get 90fps?

If you lock then you should get 45FPS (or less)

If you want to learn more here is a guy who explains it in MSFS Forums well worth the read https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vr-reverb-g2-wmr-performance-motion-reprojection-cpu-issues-overclocking/497696/4?u=notsofearless

Here is an other about OpenXR Framerstes 

if you don’t lock you will get all factors of 90FPS if your performance fluctuates that much

I do not have it enabled. My theory is that in addition, those turbo boosting intel processors that go to a billion GHz for a few seconds heat up to the temperatures of the core of the sun and then come down again to only do the same again might have something to do with this 

especially if you’re like me and are CPU limited most of the time 

Edited by nikoel

49 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Should be ok with the windows version then.

Surely SSA isn't tied into the steamvr API? More likely something else missing due to cleaning DCS?

If you use the OVGME package then you can switch from OXR to SVR in half a second if that.

It might be worth a go, after all a G2 is only really a first generation WMR headset on steroids. You can leave the OXR toolkits installed and still revert back to steamvr with no bother, it's just three files in the bin folder that get switched out.

Gotcha. Thanks for the advice!

54 minutes ago, nikoel said:

If you lock then you should get 45FPS (or less)

If you want to learn more here is a guy who explains it in MSFS Forums well worth the read https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vr-reverb-g2-wmr-performance-motion-reprojection-cpu-issues-overclocking/497696/4?u=notsofearless

Now you're just confusing things. First of all, the guy you quote explains the specific metrics shown by MSFS overlay unique to that simulator. Then he explains what happens when reprojection is turned on:

For reprojection to be able to match the display rate mentioned above, it is easiest to lock the app framerate to a rate that is divisible of the refresh rate. This is why for your 90Hz display, we will try to lock at 90 FPS, or 45 FPS, or 30 FPS, or 22.5 FPS. This way for each frame, we will either do (respectively) no reprojection, 2x reprojection, 3x reprojection or 4x reprojection.

The OpenXR-Toolkit option to lock FPS also works only when OXR reprojection is enabled. Direct quote: When motion reprojection is not enabled, this setting has no effect.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/other-features.html#lock-motion-reprojection

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

TL/DR: OpenXR soft locks you to 90/45/30/18/10FPS regardless what your GPU is rendering

That happens only when you turn the reprojection on, and do not touch the "lock motion reprojection" option in OpenXR-Toolkit. 

Without reprojection, you're simply submitting the frames to the headset as they arrive. They are postprocessed using the latest headset motion data, but not as heavily as with reprojection (only rotation is taken into account). This can introduce perceived stutter, mostly with terrain moving outside the cockpit, because even when DCS is making around 45 FPS, that's not in sync with headset display. Some frames will stay on screen for 22ms, while other will show for 11ms. It's like that with every framework, OpenXR is not doing any new magic here, at least not to my knowledge. 

Edited by some1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

28 minutes ago, some1 said:

Now you're just confusing things. First of all, the guy you quote explains the specific metrics shown by MSFS overlay unique to that simulator. Then he explains what happens when reprojection is turned on:

For reprojection to be able to match the display rate mentioned above, it is easiest to lock the app framerate to a rate that is divisible of the refresh rate. This is why for your 90Hz display, we will try to lock at 90 FPS, or 45 FPS, or 30 FPS, or 22.5 FPS. This way for each frame, we will either do (respectively) no reprojection, 2x reprojection, 3x reprojection or 4x reprojection.

The OpenXR-Toolkit option to lock FPS also works only when OXR reprojection is enabled. Direct quote: When motion reprojection is not enabled, this setting has no effect.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/other-features.html#lock-motion-reprojection

That happens only when you turn the reprojection on, and do not touch the "lock motion reprojection" option in OpenXR-Toolkit. 

Without reprojection, you're simply submitting the frames to the headset as they arrive. They are postprocessed using the latest headset motion data, but not as heavily as with reprojection (only rotation is taken into account). This can introduce perceived stutter, mostly with terrain moving outside the cockpit, because even when DCS is making around 45 FPS, that's not in sync with headset display. Some frames will stay on screen for 22ms, while other will show for 11ms. It's like that with every framework, OpenXR is not doing any new magic here, at least not to my knowledge. 

Here is the screenshot of the chat with developer. I am going to leave it at that and say I had the game running at 70-90FPS in steam VR and it was not nearly as smooth as OpenXR is at 45. If you want, you can believe me, if you want you can go your own way

8FF74974-269E-4E0F-AA1A-5CA94E10BE4F.png

I am not here to argue or debate but to simply state my experience with this mod (all perception/impression/opinion):

1. I followed the manual installation instructions to the letter, so it worked first try.

2. Even if there were no measurable or perceptible improvements in performance or quality, simply eliminating the overhead of SteamVR is enough to keep me using OpenXR. I can transition from WMR with the desktop open to DCS or from DCS to WMR much faster than before.

3. I didn't perform benchmarks prior to installing OpenXR, but my estimation from flying on certain servers for months is that I may have gained 5 to 10 fps with the same graphics settings I had before and after upping the quality the frame rates were comparable if not slightly better.

4. The image quality without MSAA looks very good. MSAAx2 is only slightly better. It is the one setting that brings the frame rates at or below what I typically saw without OpenXR without MSAA. Even with MSAAx2, the indicated framerate typically falls between 50 and 70 fps. With a target of 45 fps, MSAAx2 is clearly usable. MSAAx2 seemed to make a bigger difference without OpenXR: i.e. the image was more aliased/shimmering with SteamVR and no MSAA, whereas OpenXR makes it much harder for me to notice any improvement after enabling MSAAx2 other than the loss of performance.

I will continue using this unless I encounter some kind of showstopping bug. So far, I haven't encountered any bugs.

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, javelina1 said:

works fine for me, with the 0.6 version.  Later today, I'll be checking out 0.61

I'm using the beta version of SSA.  needing that to get the updates for the Apache.

conducted multiple flights with 0.61, in the Apache (SP).  Using SSA, no issues.   OpenXR working great, no going back at this point.  🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Anyone else tried the OpenXR Toolkit? I'm not seeing what I'm expecting... I press Ctrl+f2 and usually nothing happens. Then randomly I see several rows of yellow text related to frame rate and other CPU/GPU data.

I've tried ctrl f1 & f2 but nothing.

Last run:

] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Using Direct3D 11 on adapter: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Early initializeInterceptor() call
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: MipMap biasing for upscaling is: -0.000
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'disable_frame_analyzer' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'menu_eye' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'key_left' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'key_right' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'key_menu' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'key_up' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'overlay' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'expert_menu' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'font_size' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Config value 'menu_timeout' is assigned a default after being used
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Creating swapchain with dimensions=3152x3092, arraySize=1, mipCount=1, sampleCount=1, format=29, usage=0x31
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Swapchain image descriptor:
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500:   w=3152 h=3092 arraySize=1 format=27
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500:   mipCount=1 sampleCount=1
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500:   usage=0x0 bindFlags=0x28 cpuFlags=0x0 misc=0x802
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Creating swapchain with dimensions=3152x3092, arraySize=1, mipCount=1, sampleCount=1, format=29, usage=0x31
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500: Swapchain image descriptor:
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500:   w=3152 h=3092 arraySize=1 format=27
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500:   mipCount=1 sampleCount=1
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:11 -0500:   usage=0x0 bindFlags=0x28 cpuFlags=0x0 misc=0x802
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:26 -0500: Opening menu
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:43 -0500: D3D11Device destroyed
[OXRTK] 2022-03-23 19:56:43 -0500: Session destroyed

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Try rebinding the hotkeys to ctrl+arrows in the toolkit companion app, I don't think DCS plays nicely with the default F key binds. Ctrl+down should bring up the menu.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

25 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Try rebinding the hotkeys to ctrl+arrows in the toolkit companion app, I don't think DCS plays nicely with the default F key binds. Ctrl+down should bring up the menu.

nada

Even if I run the demo screen from OpenXR tools for WMR, the demo runs and displays please press _____ to bring up on screen menu....

Does nothing, then counter times out.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

6 minutes ago, Sr. said:

nada

Even if I run the demo screen from OpenXR tools for WMR, the demo runs and displays please press _____ to bring up on screen menu....

Does nothing, then counter times out.

Haaaave you followed the guide and replaced the files inside Program Files/OpenXR Toolkit

Edited by nikoel

11 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Haaaave you followed the guide and replaced the files inside Program Files/OpenXR Toolkit

Yep.. even multiple reinstall.

--Arthur C Clark

Hey Guys,

I found out about this mod this afternoon and gave it a shot. I first did a deep clean like reccomended in Step one. I Downloaded the files I needed then installed them to the Bin Folder. Now at first It looked awesome but was getting about 28fps. I then was reading more and noticed I have to adjust the Resolution in Open XR and I had it at 100% which for my GPU is a no go..

EDIT: Well I had reran the game and was getting 55fps, so I then added some resolution in OpenXR to 30% and raised up the graphics setting a bit and now get a steady 45-50fps in Open XR and never looked better..  Thank you to all who made Open XR Happen..

I am using a lowly 1070GTX and 30% rez with mostly low settings.. It really worked out for me..

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

• nikoel changed the title to [Update 24/3 V0.6.1] OpenXR Quickstart Guide (For G2, G1 and other Headsets)

Updated to 0.6.1

Removed a lot of now redundant text and instructions which no longer apply due to rapid development of the mod. Condensed the text and removed double-ups

Added instructions for WMR Portal quality settings. These prevented some from launching DCS. I believe this is also might be the reason why some people are not seeing the visual improvements whilst others are

Removed additional steps for the mask that now is autogenerated. Edited the opencomposite.ini file and uploaded the new one with mouse fixes 

Removed steps associated with OpenXR Toolkit and is now recommended as part of the instal 

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

Hello all,

I have to say I have been some amazing results with OpenXR however with 0.6.0 and 0.6.1 I have been bugged by the following error quite regularly:

" XrBackend::SubmitFrames:701    - OpenXR Call failed, aborting. C:\Users\Jabbah\Documents\open-composite-acc\DrvOpenXR\XrBackend.cpp:701 SubmitFrames. Error code: -1
res" 

I haven't found a reliable way to resolve it yet, sometimes a reboot helps, and sometimes reinstalling the OpenXR dll's into the DCS folder fixes it. I am not quite sure what is going on but is a little frustrating as when it runs it runs beautifully.

Has anyone else run into the same issue?

7 hours ago, nikoel said:

Here is the screenshot of the chat with developer. I am going to leave it at that and say I had the game running at 70-90FPS in steam VR and it was not nearly as smooth as OpenXR is at 45. If you want, you can believe me, if you want you can go your own way

What he wrote is unrelated to the previous post you quoted from MSFS guy.  Jabbah simply explained how a v-sync works to you. But that's nothing new, every headset does that by default. And every monitor with v-sync on (but with more frame buffering). 

If a software reports 70 fps, then in the headset it is a mix of 11ms and 22ms frames and this is, in general, not a very smooth experience. "If you get a mix of 90fps and 45 fps the report will say 64 fps". What Jabbah said. 

However, his last sentence is where I see the difference on my system, and finally we're getting somewhere. Jabbah claims that with 12-20ms frame times you will get 45 fps. That doesn't work, I still see framerate in the 50s, 60s, 70s with OpenXR, and that, as Jabbah explained in the quote above, means the frametimes are still fluctuating. 

So whatever "soft" lock there should be around 45 fps, there is none on my system. And there are other people in this thread writing that they get 50-60 fps with OpenXR. That may explain why some people say OpenXR is noticeably smoother, while others don't see much difference. It's true that a locked 45 fps on a  90Hz headset may be a smoother experience than 70 fps unlocked, even without reprojection. 

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

So just as a little up date as to my troubleshooting steps since it's now completely not working:

1. Restart "windows perception service", no joy

2. Clear out WMR environment data, no joy

3. Reinstall the OpenXR dll's from github, no joy

4. Reinstall the OpenXR dll's from Edmuss's pakcage, no joy

5. Reboot, no joy

I will include the full error log:

DrvOpenXR::GetXRAppName:103    - Setting application name to OpenComposite_DCS
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_win32_convert_performance_counter_time
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_D3D11_enable
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_D3D12_enable
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_composition_layer_depth
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_composition_layer_color_scale_bias
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_unbounded_reference_space
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_anchor
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_perception_anchor_interop
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_win32_appcontainer_compatible
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_conformance_automation
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_composition_layer_reprojection
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_graph_bridge
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_anchor_persistence
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_eye_gaze_interaction
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_hand_interaction
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_hand_tracking
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_hand_tracking_mesh
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_controller_model
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_visibility_mask
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_samsung_odyssey_controller
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_hp_mixed_reality_controller
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_debug_utils
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:155    - Num layers available: 1 
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:163    - Layer: XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit
debugCallback:117    - debugCallback Completed loader terminator
debugCallback:117    - debugCallback Completed loader trampoline
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:250    - viewCount: 2
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:256    - xrViewCount: 2
DrvOpenXR::SetupSession:296    - XrSystem: 1 XrInstance: 0000000000000004
XrBackend::PumpEvents:883    - Switch to OpenXR state 1
XrBackend::PumpEvents:883    - Switch to OpenXR state 2
XrBackend::PumpEvents:887    - Hit ready state, begin session...
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:341    - GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1000 (null)
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:341    - GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1000 
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:341    - GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1001 (null)
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:341    - GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1001 
BaseExtendedDisplay::GetWindowBounds:15    - GetWindowBounds w 1920 h 1080
XrHMD::GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize:18    - GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize w 3176 h 3108
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:341    - GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1000 (null)
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:341    - GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1000 
XrHMD::GetHiddenAreaMesh:211    - GetHiddenAreaMesh eye: 0 type: 1
XrHMD::GetHiddenAreaMesh:211    - GetHiddenAreaMesh eye: 1 type: 1
XrBackend::CheckOrInitCompositors:319    - Recreating OpenXR session for application graphics API
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:274    - Generating new swap chain
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:278    - Texture desc format: 28
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:279    - Texture desc bind flags: 40
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:280    - Texture desc MiscFlags: 0
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:281    - Texture desc Usage: 0
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:282    - Texture desc width: 3176
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:283    - Texture desc height: 3108
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:311    - Texture desc format: 29
DX11Compositor::CheckCreateSwapChain:338    - Created swap chain: 3176 x 3108
d3d_make_surface_data:131    - Texture description: 3176 x 3108 Format 27
oovr_abort_raw:55    - Abort!
XrBackend::SubmitFrames:701    - OpenXR Call failed, aborting. C:\Users\Jabbah\Documents\open-composite-acc\DrvOpenXR\XrBackend.cpp:701 SubmitFrames. Error code: -1
res

Edited by Cleric812

59 minutes ago, Cleric812 said:

So just as a little up date as to my troubleshooting steps since it's now completely not working:

5. Reboot, no joy

I will include the full error log:

DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_win32_convert_performance_counter_time
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_D3D11_enable
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_D3D12_enable
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_composition_layer_depth
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_composition_layer_color_scale_bias
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_unbounded_reference_space
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_anchor
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_perception_anchor_interop
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_win32_appcontainer_compatible
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_conformance_automation
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_composition_layer_reprojection
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_graph_bridge
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_spatial_anchor_persistence
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_eye_gaze_interaction
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_hand_interaction
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_hand_tracking
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_hand_tracking_mesh
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_MSFT_controller_model
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_KHR_visibility_mask
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_samsung_odyssey_controller
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_hp_mixed_reality_controller
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:150    - Extension: XR_EXT_debug_utils
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:155    - Num layers available: 1 
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:163    - Layer: XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit
debugCallback:117    - debugCallback Completed loader terminator
debugCallback:117    - debugCallback Completed loader trampoline
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:250    - viewCount: 2
DrvOpenXR::CreateOpenXRBackend:256    - xrViewCount: 2
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:341    - GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1001 (null)
XrHMD::GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty:341    - GetStringTrackedDeviceProperty 1001 
BaseExtendedDisplay::GetWindowBounds:15    - GetWindowBounds w 1920 h 1080
XrHMD::GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize:18    - GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize w 3176 h 3108
XrHMD::GetHiddenAreaMesh:211    - GetHiddenAreaMesh eye: 0 type: 1
XrHMD::GetHiddenAreaMesh:211    - GetHiddenAreaMesh eye: 1 type: 1
XrBackend::CheckOrInitCompositors:319    - Recreating OpenXR session for application graphics API
oovr_abort_raw:55    - Abort!
XrBackend::SubmitFrames:701    - OpenXR Call failed, aborting. C:\Users\Jabbah\Documents\open-composite-acc\DrvOpenXR\XrBackend.cpp:701 SubmitFrames. Error code: -1
res

Same here, same error code. No sollution yet.

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

1 hour ago, Cleric812 said:

5. Reboot, no joy

Just to check, did you copy over the XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit.dll from the first post to the openxr toolkit installation folder?

I think it should work without it but you won't be able to access the ingame menu.

Edited by edmuss

9 hours ago, streakeagle said:

I am not here to argue or debate but to simply state my experience with this mod (all perception/impression/opinion):

1. I followed the manual installation instructions to the letter, so it worked first try.

2. Even if there were no measurable or perceptible improvements in performance or quality, simply eliminating the overhead of SteamVR is enough to keep me using OpenXR. I can transition from WMR with the desktop open to DCS or from DCS to WMR much faster than before.

3. I didn't perform benchmarks prior to installing OpenXR, but my estimation from flying on certain servers for months is that I may have gained 5 to 10 fps with the same graphics settings I had before and after upping the quality the frame rates were comparable if not slightly better.

4. The image quality without MSAA looks very good. MSAAx2 is only slightly better. It is the one setting that brings the frame rates at or below what I typically saw without OpenXR without MSAA. Even with MSAAx2, the indicated framerate typically falls between 50 and 70 fps. With a target of 45 fps, MSAAx2 is clearly usable. MSAAx2 seemed to make a bigger difference without OpenXR: i.e. the image was more aliased/shimmering with SteamVR and no MSAA, whereas OpenXR makes it much harder for me to notice any improvement after enabling MSAAx2 other than the loss of performance.

I will continue using this unless I encounter some kind of showstopping bug. So far, I haven't encountered any bugs.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion as most of your points myself. I particularly chuffed with a particular MP server from the group I participate with where I've never really experienced particularly great performance (especially visually) (US Server, I'm based in the UK). However, since switching to this mod, the connection to this particular server (for me), the difference is night and day. Note: Other regular MP systems have also given the impression that it 'feels' smoother (although I've had good experiences anyway).

Looking forward in seeing how the continued development improves on things, and more so the changes that will eventually come from within DCS (once its ready).

Note: I haven't installed the optional OpenXR Tools (I want to use OpenXR Toolkit) section of the first post (Just the 'Installation' section)

Edited by Dodge

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF