OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

The openxr toolkit and openxr dev toolkit are both recommended.

The toolkit gives you access to foveated rendering, FSR/NIS, motion reprojection control, colour saturation, sharpening and all sorts of other tweaks, you can get more performance and dratically alter the way it all works through this.

The dev toolkit gives you much better control over the headset resolution and motion reprojection as well as giving some performance metrics.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

14 minutes ago, edmuss said:

The openxr toolkit and openxr dev toolkit are both recommended.

The toolkit gives you access to foveated rendering, FSR/NIS, motion reprojection control, colour saturation, sharpening and all sorts of other tweaks, you can get more performance and dratically alter the way it all works through this.

The dev toolkit gives you much better control over the headset resolution and motion reprojection as well as giving some performance metrics.

If you were referring to my last post I should of been clear in that, I do have the OpenXR Development Toolkit with the following settings (which seem to work for my setup):

image.png

I don't have the OpenXR Toolkit installed for the options that you've mentioned in your post. To be honest, I'm currently quite happy with the way things are running (and that's with very little tweaking from my settings before trying this mod). I intended on giving this a several days to settle (and possibly tweak to see what I can get out of it and where the performance becomes affected) before installing and tinkering with the OpenXR Toolkit.

At this moment in time I must say good work to the mod developer(s) and those of you who have helped provide us with the information to use this 🙂

Edited by Dodge
  • Like 1

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF

I have the same issue, I have found no fix yet

3 hours ago, Cleric812 said:

Hello all,

I have to say I have been some amazing results with OpenXR however with 0.6.0 and 0.6.1 I have been bugged by the following error quite regularly:

" XrBackend::SubmitFrames:701    - OpenXR Call failed, aborting. C:\Users\Jabbah\Documents\open-composite-acc\DrvOpenXR\XrBackend.cpp:701 SubmitFrames. Error code: -1
res" 

I haven't found a reliable way to resolve it yet, sometimes a reboot helps, and sometimes reinstalling the OpenXR dll's into the DCS folder fixes it. I am not quite sure what is going on but is a little frustrating as when it runs it runs beautifully.

Has anyone else run into the same issue?

@Dodge I see you’ve got motion repro disabled in OXR Dev Tools; I tried the same settings as you last night (inc 100% scale setting) and all I got was a horrible jittery mess. Are you finding your experience smooth? 

I really want this to work but for me at the moment, SteamVR seems to be giving me a much better experience (motion/smoothness wise). I will say not having the menus flickering and the overall sharpness in my Reberb G1 a plus however

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

26 minutes ago, obious said:

@Dodge I see you’ve got motion repro disabled in OXR Dev Tools; I tried the same settings as you last night (inc 100% scale setting) and all I got was a horrible jittery mess. Are you finding your experience smooth? 

I really want this to work but for me at the moment, SteamVR seems to be giving me a much better experience (motion/smoothness wise). I will say not having the menus flickering and the overall sharpness in my Reberb G1 a plus however

I think you might be struggling to run a reverb at 100% with a 1080ti, I suspect that your framerates will be too low to sustain smooth image without motion reprojection.  Try dropping the render resolution to 50-60% and see if it pulls the frames up enough to get it smooth.  I start to see slight stutter when looking sideways out of the cockpit when the framerate drops below 45 fps but I'm typically at 55 fps minimum so it's not an issue 🙂

If you set the render resolution to default in OXR dev toolkit it will set a recommended resolution based on your quantity of vram, for my 8gb 3070 it sets it a little above 60% and suprisingly it doesn't actually look bad (certainly better than steamvr does at 60%) and gains me around 25fps.  I'm still jumping between 100% MSAA off and 60% default with MSAA on, I get more peformance on default and with less aliasing.

Obviously there might be a bit of clash of technologies with the automatic vram calculation, your 11gb 1080ti will give a higher recommended resolution than my 8gb 3070 but you can argue all day long that a 3070 is a much faster gpu.  The vram calculation is based upon the worst case of all back buffers with 4x MSAA applied shouldn't exceed 10% of total vram.

Have a play with it, you can always reset things if it goes tits up 😄

edit: of course there's nothing stopping you enabling motion reprojection, personally I've not managed to get it to work properly yet as it artifacts more than it should do but I'm looking to sort it out if I can.  Best practise is to set it to always on in OXR dev toolkit and then use the ingame OXR toolkit menu to set the reprojection rate that you want to use.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

6 hours ago, obious said:

Hi @obious
For me, I've not experienced any jitters. I'm not able to grab screenshots of my DCS in-game setup so I'm replying based on memory....

I have:

• DCS installed via STEAM
  • OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality installed

My pre-requisites:

• Cleared the environment data from 'Mixed Reality' (Windows > Settings > Mixed Reality)
  • image.png
  • Cleared all the files within the sub-folders of 'fxo' and 'metashaders' within "[DRIVE]:\Users\[YOUR PROFILE NAME]\Saved Games\DCS)"
  • Removed ANY and ALL mods (files) from DCS (In my case this was 'Reshade' as its the only mod I use)
    • Note: this relates to mods that are installed into the game 'bin' directory (My path is: 'D:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\bin)
  • Within the STEAM client, select DCS > Properties > Local Files > select 'Verify integrity of games files'.... (this will take some time)
  • image.png
    For me this reverted/downloaded several files (11 for me, and for a friend, it was 6. Yours may vary)

Installation:

• The mod from this Post and current using v0.6.1 (at the time of writing)
    • copied the three files to the DCS game 'bin' directory (My path is: 'D:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\bin) 
      • opencomposite
      • openvr_api.dll
      • DCDCompiler_47.dll (not the folder, but the file within)
    • Optional: Overwrite or backup any files within the 'bin' directory (in the event you want to revert back without Steam verifying the files)
    • Open and edit the file opencomposite and add the following lines towards the bottom
      • ;Custom: required to get the mouse to work correctly
        forceConnectedTouch=disabled
        renderCustomHands=disabled

Setup:

• OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality and edit/tweak as required. Mine is currently set at:
  • image.png
  • Note: I think the important setting is the customised render scale (I consider it the same as the SteamVR per-app slider). I had increased mine to 125% but then found I had non-optimal performance, the black screen on the edges as I moved my head side to side, etc.). For those with performance issues I recommend lowering this, as it give you the chance to increased in game (DCS) settings (something I will try myself over time)
  • Start steam client (if not already running)
    • Note: do NOT run SteamVR (and turn if off from Mixed Reality, if set)
    • image.png
  • Started my HP Reverb G2 headset
    • Mixed Reality Portal starts up
    • If I recall correctly I setup the room boundary (seated)
    • image.png
    • Using my right controller within the Mixed Reality Home (I've tweaked mine to using this information here), I find and run DCS from here
      • Note: This take a while to load, especially the first time. It can feel like its doing nothing but it is, just wait.
    • Once DCS has loaded I have slightly increased DCS graphical settings but in general I recommend starting out with the 'VR' preset and use this as a benchmark to them increase/decrease settings.

Observations

• The first time you load DCS it will take longer than you might think (I guess it loading things for the first time, some will cache I suspect)
    • This includes connecting to a server (MP).
      • You may encounter black screening while loading, don't fear, leave it, it is loading.
  • I've found that later connections (starting DCS or connecting to servers) are then faster.
  • I've also noticed that I now don't have to close and restart DCS when leaving a server to join another (previously, I would encounter jittering and performance issues 'VRAM'?). For me and the initial hours of going into and out of MP servers seems to be fine performance wise)

I think that is is (at least from memory). Hope that helps some of you out there (my systems settings are within my signature below.

[Added after posting]

My DCS system settings before using the Mod. Since then I'm tweaking settings to see what I get (mostly HIGH and with the same FPS or thereabouts).

image.png

Edited by Dodge

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

19 minutes ago, edmuss said:

If you set the render resolution to default in OXR dev toolkit it will set a recommended resolution based on your quantity of vram, for my 8gb 3070 it sets it a little above 60% and suprisingly it doesn't actually look bad (certainly better than steamvr does at 60%)

What used to be 100% on his G1 is now 50% on G2. Running G2 at 60% is already above the native display resolution and would equal 120% on Reverb G1. 

At least in Steam, but it's possible that OpenXR follows the same logic. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

9 minutes ago, some1 said:

What used to be 100% on his G1 is now 50% on G2. Running G2 at 60% is already above the native display resolution and would equal 120% on Reverb G1. 

At least in Steam, but it's possible that OpenXR follows the same logic.

The G1 is the same resolution as the G2 isn't it? Panel display of 2160x2160 per eye, VR resolution by the time distortion allowance has been made is 3100x3100 or there abouts.

I'm pretty sure that OXR uses the same resolution sizing as steamvr, at 100% OXR dev toolkit reports the size as 3100 ish, at 60% it's 2400ish.

Edited by edmuss

The headsets are the same screen resolution, but for some reason they decided to change what is considered "100%" in G2 settings. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Ah ok, I thought that all steamvr headset render resolutions were skewed compared to the panel resolution, that said it's been a while since I used my old lenovo explorer so I could be miss-remembering things 🙂

You can easily check the OXR applied render resolution on the system status page of the OXR dev toolkit.

edit: open composite_acc was actually written specifically for the G2, as such people have been using it with the G1 and it's still been reported as a G2.  Hence his 100% render resolution may still be 3100x3100.

Edited by edmuss

@edmuss I’m not running a 1080ti, I’m running a 3080ti with a 12900k @ 5.2Ghz but I’m wondering if the OXR scaling set to 60% that I’m running is giving me problems? I haven’t installed the dev tools yet so I haven’t been able to play around with any settings above render scaling but the experience has not be ideal for me 😞

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

15 hours ago, nikoel said:

You guys have read and understand that you can simply lock 45FPS via OpenXR Toolkit and it will have the motion smoothening disabled but the frame rate cap enabled so you’re not experiencing the spikes…?!

With that feature off there is still no way of getting 60 or 70FPS. You are not seeing it. However the extra overhead does help and you will get the juiciest frame as selected by OpenXR

The frametimes will always be at 19-21ms because you’re locked at 45FPS. Then they will go to 11ms when you hit 90FPS

Please re-read my blob on performance as I have made it more blunt because some of yas reaaaaaally need to hear what I’ve said. Or you know, don’t. I’m not your mum  

I could be wrong, but from my experience, a constant 45fps does not equal smooth.....unless you keep your head perfectly still. Again, I've probably become too sensitive to fps. A framerate that low would be quite uncomfortable - consistent or not.

I should say though, many, many thanks for the work being put into this. Unfortunately ED has left performance improvements to the skilled community instead of making it a priority themselves.

Edited by FiringPin

2 minutes ago, SkipCarey said:

Is this REALLY worth all the hassle ?or just another fix one thing create bugs out the wazoo pipedream?

I was hesitant to try this out myself. My initial thought would be to try this is in weeks/months time once the mod was further developed. However, as I had yesterday off work I thought I would give it a go. I have been pleasantly surprised with the results in my case, and that of a friend of mine who also did the same (Yours may vary). Unless something drastic occurs that breaks things I feel that this will be one of those must haves mods for my VR experience (until natively supported)

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

13 minutes ago, SkipCarey said:

Is this REALLY worth all the hassle ?or just another fix one thing create bugs out the wazoo pipedream?

This - likely. This is why I will never run any of these Mods. I will always keep my install of DCS free of any mods. I don't mind tweaking initially to get the best performance with the image clarity I prefer, but once there I turn the fps counter off and just enjoy the game. I spend many hours of flying and having great fun on most days. 

However - I would absolutely love to see DCS have native support for OpenXR. It is a great VR runtime and can work with most headsets and really helps in the performance department. We have the developers of Open XR making good strides and also the developer of the Open XR Toolkit that is doing amazing stuff for the Open XR runtime as well. ED really , really should take a look at offering Open XR support for the growing VR community. And once done take a look at adding another AA option - TAA which gives very nice results at less the performance hit that MSAA gives.

This is my wish as a (what I would consider) hard core customer of ED - Native support for the Open XR Runtime, and adding TAA as another AA option. There are a lot of headsets out there now that would really benefit from this. And I have absolutely no desire to mod my install of DCS. I will always keep a clean install of DCS.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 6

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

28 minutes ago, obious said:

@edmuss I’m not running a 1080ti, I’m running a 3080ti with a 12900k @ 5.2Ghz but I’m wondering if the OXR scaling set to 60% that I’m running is giving me problems? I haven’t installed the dev tools yet so I haven’t been able to play around with any settings above render scaling but the experience has not be ideal for me 😞

Aha, out of date signature 😄

I would imagine that it should default to 3100x3100 when set automatically but you shouldn't be constrained by your GPU like I am.  I'd recommend running 100% and play around with the toolkit options.

Same here Don … well said 👍🏻

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

14 minutes ago, FiringPin said:

I could be wrong, but from my experience, a constant 45fps does not equal smooth.....unless you keep your head perfectly still. Again, I've probably become too sensitive to fps. A framerate that low would be quite uncomfortable - consistent or not.

Mostly it's down to personal preference and subjective "feel". Just like some people are fine gaming on a console at 30 FPS, while some prefer 60 or even above 100 fps on their monitors. An animation at 45 fps is not perfectly smooth in 2D, and it's not perfectly smooth in VR either, but for some people it's good enough.

Of course that's no taking reprojection into account. With reprojection you're technically at 90 fps, it's just half of the frames (or more) are interpolated by the headset software, with varying success. Even with reprojection off, some level of motion smoothing is always enabled as the headsets can update each frame with new position data in postprocessing. 

For those who are experiencing stutters I might have had a breakthrough, but I don't know. I tried reprojection on 'Always On' and got terrible artifacting and jelly that everyone talks about. However, in Automatic I got an interesting result which gave me the 90/45/30FPS without the jelly - worth a try?

It's difficult to diagnose since I don't suffer from this (nor do I want to induce this in fear I can not get back) but this might help. Here is the screenshot

image.png

Edited by nikoel

1 minute ago, winghunter said:

I had always set it to automatic which works well enough. Just on Marianas i get stutters and steamvr seemed to perform better on that map.

You're a brave man! That map is banned in Australia in fear it will cause a bush-fire that will wipe out half the population of SE QLD

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nikoel said:

EDIT! See changelog for 0.6.1 

Done

Still no OpenXR toolkit menu. I'm not even seeing the random yellow texted info I started with

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

@nikoel FYI, I've updated my repository to factor in your opencomposite.ini changes, it'll do this as part of the build so the OvGME package will be ready out of the box. I've pushed a new GitHub release to make sure the package is correct.

I've also removed the version from the archive name as this was causing OvGME to fail. There is a VERSION.txt file, which is based off of the GitLab release version, so the update process can function normally.

Edited by ColinM9991
  • Like 2

will this openXR, Open composite work on other games? I did try it with another game but it did not seem to work.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2