OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

1 hour ago, Pikey said:

Hi thanks for your response.
The loss of 20 FPS when you can dip lower than 45 is damaging to me since the screen is a juddery mess at the 22.5 fps mark which can be reached quite often in big MP servers. For everything not data related It will remain my opinion which is unaffected by your own.

VR with DCS is about headroom. MP requires it.  I spend most of my time sub 45 frames. The benchmark I used for the tests is offline so the headroom illustration is important. Offline players have less to concern themselves with as they tend to stick to optimised playing configurations.

We aren't talking about negligble performance gains, I am citing a recorded straight up loss of 33% against SteamVR. WHere I had 90, it was 60. That theme continued when frames dipped to 30 and I got 20. If this doesn't bother anyone then my post shouldnt be of interest and can be safely ignored.

I don't see how any of this could help in MP.    We are trying to figure out how many pixels we can render, basically.  As defined by physical pixels in the headset, resolution settings, PD, even some forms of anti-aliasing.  In MP people are typically bottlenecked by RAM or CPU before they map the first pixel.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Tried replacing package. All three files are in bin folder. Really strange, steamvr tries to open twice when starting DCS and fails. Then DCS opens. I get the openxr message about ctrl-f2 from the tool kit i guess, so I think its working. If I check task manager steamvr is not running so it must be working. I'm getting between 50 and 70 FPS in caucus free flight instant action depending on how close I get to the ground, and it looks like it, meaning I need reprojection. Ill try playing with that and see what happens.  

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

Spurred on by the comments I decided to give it another go. Definitely a bump in image quality but like @timcat anything less than 90hz is instantly noticeable and I need reprojection. Thanks to this thread I was able to get it working after the “bubble” experience but it isn’t great compared with SteamVR. Given the bump in image quality I might try reducing the OpenXR resolution but would be surprised if I get near to maintaining 90 fps. I think I am sensitive to frame rates and simply can’t cope with <90fps without reprojection

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The bubbly reprojection is a weird one, there doesn't seem to be a specific cause but it has cleared up on mine. It's certainly more apparent on the menus, this is due to the lack of a depth buffer but is give in the cockpit.

However, the more people who have the issue and report it to the devs, the more likely will get a resolution or workaround.

My OXR reprojection is working as well as WMR4SVR ever did except with the facility of lower frametime locks.

Previously I would run 60hz and be locked to 30fps most of the time, now I run 90hz and I'm locked to 45fps most of the time with occasional dips into 30fps when needed.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

17 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Spurred on by the comments I decided to give it another go. Definitely a bump in image quality but like @timcat anything less than 90hz is instantly noticeable and I need reprojection. Thanks to this thread I was able to get it working after the “bubble” experience but it isn’t great compared with SteamVR. Given the bump in image quality I might try reducing the OpenXR resolution but would be surprised if I get near to maintaining 90 fps. I think I am sensitive to frame rates and simply can’t cope with <90fps without reprojection

OpenXR reprojection isn't any worse than SVR's version

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Might try uninstalling WMRP under your Steam library, then get it from the Microsoft Store instead.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mixed-reality-portal/9ng1h8b3zc7m#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Thanks Sr. that got me on the right track. All is well. 

• Like 2

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

Just now, DeltaMike said:

Using the Apache there is a lot of weirdness looking through the blades (I am not talking the really weird bubble effect) plus there seemed some stepping of the scenery looking to the side compared with running reprojection with SteamVR.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

3 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Using the Apache there is a lot of weirdness looking through the blades (I am not talking the really weird bubble effect) plus there seemed some stepping of the scenery looking to the side compared with running reprojection with SteamVR.

noticed the same with the tomcat, there are some distortions around the cockpit frame while steamVR keeps it static.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

19 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

I just turned reprojection on (always on) and it seems to be working fine. In some cases better than SVR's. That extra drop down to 30fps when it cant hold 45fps is really nice. Keeps things very smooth. Magic. Some ghosting but I'll take it. Now ill try Marianas map and see if i can start my house on fire. 

edited

Edited by timcat

After disabling the mod via JSGME I have now this artifact in SteamVR. Looks like the scene is rendered twice, or the hangar is rendered in the background where the black frame should be. Not sure how this could possibly happen, I will try restarting and see if that fixes it. Otherwise repairing game.

EDIT: restart didnt help, repairing game....

EDIT: Its caused by MSAA off   :0

Screen_220325_205428.png#

normal border:

Screen_220313_003021.png

Edited by winghunter

I didn’t think OpenXR auto reprojection was working with DCS, is this an update?

Edited by Baldrick33

3 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

Ovgme package for v0.6.2 is now live on Github.

cool, thanks for the release heads up.  I've downloaded 0.6.2 and converted to jsgme.. (yes, I'm old school)  🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

3 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

cool, thanks for the release heads up.  I've downloaded 0.6.2 and converted to jsgme.. (yes, I'm old school)  🙂

Is the JsGME format different? I'll happily update my github action to push out JSGME, OvGME and Open Mod Manager formats. The foundation is already there so it's straight forward to do. 

Just now, ColinM9991 said:

Is the JsGME format different? I'll happily update my github action to push out JSGME, OvGME and Open Mod Manager formats. The foundation is already there so it's straight forward to do. 

no worries, stick with OvGME.  That's probably what folks should be using now, since it's newer.  don't mind me...  🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

5 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

its just unzipped, otherwise the same

openXR toolkit 1.0.4 released, fixes overlay menu in some apps

https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-Toolkit/releases/tag/1.0.4

Edited by winghunter
  • Thanks 1

@Baldrick33@winghunter

It sounds as though your OXR reprojection is broken like mine was, before you attempt a workaround/fix could you grab a screenshot of your OXR Dev toolkit status page as per the attached?

unknown.png

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Here is mine:

wmr 0.png

8 minutes ago, edmuss said:

@Baldrick33@winghunter

It sounds as though your OXR reprojection is broken like mine was, before you attempt a workaround/fix could you grab a screenshot of your OXR Dev toolkit status page as per the attached?

unknown.png

curious your API layers does not have XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit

you're not using the toolkit?

2 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

curious your API layers does not have XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit

you're not using the toolkit?

In my case I just loaded the toolkit and haven't yet run DCS with it loaded.

That's not my screenshot 😉